Did I make a mistake buying this for modding?

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Very late the other night I thought it would be a great idea to purchase one of these and fit it with Fender noiseless pickups. But now I’m wondering if I made a mistake. I’m thinking of returning it when I get it. But I’d like others advice. How are these for modding. Like will locking tuners fit it? I’m assuming the pickups wouldn’t be a problem. Would the pots need changing also maybe to some CTS pots and 250k or 500k I don’t know the difference. I’m new at modding guitars so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here’s what I bought

B1C8E0B2-FC56-40DB-ADA9-D2A257326478.jpeg

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
Hard to know exactly what will or won't fit without knowing what it is. Since you posted in the Squier forum I assume that is what it is, and if so, it should make a decent platform to modify. Plenty of help for electronics on the pickup vendors websites as well as Guitar Electronics and a host of other websites. Hope some of this helps and have fun with your mods!

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Hard to know exactly what will or won't fit without knowing what it is. Since you posted in the Squier forum I assume that is what it is, and if so, it should make a decent platform to modify. Plenty of help for electronics on the pickup vendors websites as well as Guitar Electronics and a host of other websites. Hope some of this helps and have fun with your mods!
Sorry its a limited edition bullet. It’s string thru body which is one of the reason I Like it

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender noiseless pickups are deeper than standard Telecaster pickups. You may need to drill into the body for relief for the adjustment screws. The control cavity may also not be routed for the S1 switch usually used with Fender noiseless pickups. Squier bodies are thinner than MIM or MIA Telecaster bodies so be careful. The Squier control plate may not allow full travel for a four way switch if you want to use that rather than the more difficult to solder S1 switch. Personally, I think an MIM Telecaster body makes a great mod platform and it may even save you money because there are fewer pieces you’ll want to replace but even an MIM body will need some attention if you want to mount noiseless pickups. Tread carefully.

Last edited:

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Fender noiseless pickups are deeper than standard Telecaster pickups. You may need to drill into the body for relief for the adjustment screws. The control cavity may also not be routed for the S1 switch usually used with Fender noiseless pickups. Squier bodies are thinner than MIM or MIA Telecaster bodies sobbed careful. The Squier control plate may not allow full travel for a four way switch if you want to use that rather than the more difficult to solder S1 switch. Personally, I think an MIM Telecaster body makes a great mod platform and it may even save you money because there are fewer pieces you’ll want to replace but even an MIM body will need some attention if you want to mount noiseless pickups. Tread carefully.
Yeah I didn‘t think about the noiseless pickups being deeper. Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to send it back and grab a Classic Vibe Tele in white blonde. My LGS has one in stock. I ordered this one from Musicians Friend. I’ve played the Classic Vibe and its awesome. Doubt I’d change anything on it.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender noiseless pickups are deeper than standard Telecaster pickups. You may need to drill into the body for relief for the adjustment screws. The control cavity may also not be routed for the S1 switch usually used with Fender noiseless pickups. Squier bodies are thinner than MIM or MIA Telecaster bodies sobbed careful...
Good call. Not all Squiers are thinner, but Bullets like the one pictured are.

@Legba-1967, I have a similar Bullet, the blue one. You can put 10mm locking tuners on it, but you'll most likely need to drill new holes for mounting screws or pins. No big deal.

The pots in mine worked fine for a couple of years before the volume pot got scratchy and cleaning/lubrication no longer helped. I replaced both with Alphas, but CTS pots will fit in the plate.

The bridge's pattern and dimensions are unique to Bullets and the old Standards (and maybe the new Affinity model, but I'm not sure about that), so I'd recommend leaving it as it is, or just replacing the saddles if you must. There's nothing wrong with them.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
I think you will really like a Classic Vibe Squier.

All Fender vintage parts and Tele pickups should fit right off the bat. In fact, if yours turns out to be like mine, the neck pickup route will accommodate a humbucker or mini hum by just changing out the pickguard. At one point, I replaced everything on mine - electronics, pickups, bridge, jack, and at one point even the neck. It was great fun. Eventually I put it all back stock except the pots, switch, and electrosocket jack replacement. It was great of the rack and still is.

At one point it looked like this:
CV 50s.jpg

Now it's back to this. Great either way IMO:
PXL_20210206_190846086.jpg

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I didn‘t think about the noiseless pickups being deeper. Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to send it back and grab a Classic Vibe Tele in white blonde. My LGS has one in stock. I ordered this one from Musicians Friend. I’ve played the Classic Vibe and its awesome. Doubt I’d change anything on it.
I have a 60s CV and it’s very nice.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
If you're buying to mod, don't buy new, buy used. People lose interest in guitar and will sell lightly used guitars at a substantial discount, especially if they haven't kept track of current prices and shortages. I've also bought some with damage that wasn't difficult to repair. Look for old and discontinued Squier models like the SE, Standard and Vintage Modified as well as the Classic Vibe. The pickups on the Standard and VM are pretty decent Alnicos, BTW.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I bought a red sparkle Bullet Tele exactly like yours from Sweetwater when they were going for under $150 new. It was an OK guitar - and I do love to upgrade - so I did the math:

Pickups were weak and needed to go. Bootstrap sells Tele sets for $50, so that's not too painful.
Electronics were also subpar. CTS 250K pots, cap, new switch, jack, and Electrosocket - $60 or so.
Tuners also doggy poo, so lockers ... Sperzel, Fender, or Gotoh ... another $70+
GraphTech nut - to replace plastic POS it came with - $15
So there's roughly $200 in parts for a guitar that would be worth maybe the $150 I paid for it. Maybe.

Mine went to the local guitar store on consignment, probably sold by now, I need to check.
Still, I'll miss the red sparkle paint - it was sexy!

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
So I haven’t received this yet as it’s coming from Musicians Friend and I had made up my mind to return it. But I really love the color of this thing. Would a Seymour Duncan Little 59 fit in this body. It’s supposed to be a drop in replacement for a Tele pickup. I have put one of these into an older top loading affinity Tele and it fit perfect but I’m not sure about this one. Also I don’t have a humbucking guitar at the moment and really need one for certain styles of music I like. So if it will fit I’m thinking of just keeping the guitar and going that route. The little 59 is only $109 so not a bad price. They sound really good. Any help and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
If it is not a string through body, I would pass. I am not a fan of top load Tele's. AND the first thing I would upgrade is the bridge plate & saddles. Have it set up and play it and decide weather you like playing it un plugged. Yeah, unplugged for feel and tone. If all that is working for you, you can start your pick up journey and I would go used.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Very late the other night I thought it would be a great idea to purchase one of these and fit it with Fender noiseless pickups. But now I’m wondering if I made a mistake. I’m thinking of returning it when I get it. But I’d like others advice. How are these for modding. Like will locking tuners fit it? I’m assuming the pickups wouldn’t be a problem. Would the pots need changing also maybe to some CTS pots and 250k or 500k I don’t know the difference. I’m new at modding guitars so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here’s what I bought

View attachment 971487
I feel like you’re trolling. You know this is an awesome guitar! Enjoy it!

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
If it is not a string through body, I would pass. I am not a fan of top load Tele's. AND the first thing I would upgrade is the bridge plate & saddles. Have it set up and play it and decide weather you like playing it un plugged. Yeah, unplugged for feel and tone. If all that is working for you, you can start your pick up journey and I would go used.
It is string thru body. The reason I’m thinking about a new neck is I have very large hands and am having trouble playing up around the nut on my Fender Nashville Tele. I’m wanting something with a wider neck to accommodate my hands.

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
I feel like you’re trolling. You know this is an awesome guitar! Enjoy it!
Not trolling at all. I’m new to modding guitars and really genuinely want answer to these questions. I think its a beautiful guitar but I need a wider neck for my very large hands and i need a humbucking guitar.