Did I make a boo boo?

UpstateDon

Tele-Meister
Bought this 1985 MIJ double bound tele last month. Really enjoying it, but noticed that the binding isn't real...see pics. Is this normal, or did I buy a fake?

Attachments

• telecaster.jpg
    telecaster.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 237

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The experts (I am not one) will need to see pics of the headstock (both sides), neck heel, neck pocket, bridge and what is under the pickguard, etc to advise if it's a real 1985 MIJ.

Is the binding painted on? Is that the main concern?

UpstateDon

Tele-Meister
yes the painted binding was my main concern. here are some additional pictures. I like the guitar very much...I would just be a bit bummed if I bought a fake.

Attachments

• headstock 2.jpg
    headstock 2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 144
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 148

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The back of that headstock is wrong. Too rounded on the lower edge etc. Does the front of the headstock even look right?
The binding is painted on? Well, that's definitely a fake!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
The rear shot of the headstock looks a little 'funky'

Front shot and the fretboard would help.

Binding scraping isn't always perfect.

UpstateDon

Tele-Meister
The rear shot of the headstock looks a little 'funky'

Front shot and the fretboard would help.

Binding scraping isn't always perfect.
what's giving me concern is that in no place can I actually discern an indentation/line between paint and binding...like if I rub my thumbnail on the body...nothing catches at the dividing line with the binding. Fairly easy to do with my custom shop.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
what's giving me concern is that in no place can I actually discern an indentation/line between paint and binding...like if I rub my thumbnail on the body...nothing catches at the dividing line with the binding. Fairly easy to do with my custom shop.
Wont they have lacquered over the binding? in which case I wouldn't expect to feel an indentation either

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't feel a step on my CV Custom or homebuild twelvecaster. A craft knife scrape to the binding on the rear, next to the neck plate will allay or confirm your binding fears.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The back of that headstock is wrong. Too rounded on the lower edge etc. Does the front of the headstock even look right?
The binding is painted on? Well, that's definitely a fake!
Looks exactly like the back of the headstock on the 80’s MIJ 50’s and an 80’s MIJ 60’s I had back in the day. I always thought it was odd, but that’s how they were made.

OP- that binding looks real to me. Just a little bleed from finishing that didn’t get cleaned up.

Last edited:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I can't really offer any expertise on the authenticity of your guitar, but I will say: although I know it would bother you to find out you bought a fake, don't let it. If you truly enjoy playing the guitar, who cares?
Of course, I've never bought a guitar with concern for its resale value. I buy guitars I like to play.

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t believe in the fake binding. It’s Japanese, they make things differently.

80s‘ Japan Fender are expensive because of the hype but also because of the quality of workmanship, woods, neck, playability and finish, that are often very good. That’s what I see here.

Probably the Japanese workers couldn’t stand to let a visible indentation between the binding and the paint, or they didn’t have the practical experience for scraping, and they did it that way.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looks exactly like the back of the headstock on the 80’s MIJ 50’s and an 80’s MIJ 60’s I had back in the day. I always thought it was odd, but that’s how they were made.

OP- that binding looks real to me. Just a little bleed from finishing that didn’t get cleaned up.

Yep they look like that!
Cool, good to know.

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
NOTHING about that guitar is fake.

The back of the headstock is typical of MIJ reissues, and many original Fenders from the early eras.

The binding is legit, just a poor tape and scrape job.

You can be assured that your guitar is completely original, and a very nice one at that!!

Last edited:

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Not fake. Looks legit to me. I have a MIJ and they tend to differ very slightly from the American and Mexican models, such that of neck shape and what have you. My 10/56V on my CIJ vs my Custom Shop vary greatly. Even differences between CIJ and MIJ, considering they’re different factories.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease