Did I buy $10 worth of snakeoil: Gotoh CARD system?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PeterUK, Sep 21, 2019.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m a big fan of the Gotoh HAPM SD91 6-line tuners and I’ve recently acquired another set for one of my many projects I have on the go. These are my ‘go to’ (oooh, I wonder if that’s how they got their name? :rolleyes:) tuners.

When I purchased the tuners the seller was offering the matching CARD ‘infills’ so for an extra $10 I added them to the purchase.

The project itself is months off but I was having a mess around (now everybody will be humming the Ray Charles classic and have visions of Del Griffiths driving along in his heavy coat :lol:) and I’m wondering what REAL benefits they offer.

Did I buy $10 worth of snakeoil?

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/card-6.html

I’ll fit them and see what difference they make but I’m not expecting angels to sing and the quality of my life to be massively improved.

Does anyone else used the CARD system? Did it improve the quality of your life? Did you hear angels singing? :D

Share your thought: ideally about CARD but any relevant ‘Trains, Planes & Automobile’ type stories are fine.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Let me know how you go with them, I want to try them. Where did you get them from? Nobody seems to stock them here.

PeterUK likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Every time I see things like these, I consider how many of the famous sounds we’re chasing were made on completely stock Fenders. Might have an effect, but an important one? Let us know if you hear any difference.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

The "transfers string vibration to the instrument" bit seems like nonsense to me. You don't want string vibration above the nut

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Is it to protect the finish if swapping tuner styles?

With a tone benefit story tagged on by marketing as they know it’s a winner with the insecure.

PeterUK and Asmith like this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looking at their page, and comparing the claims to the product, I suspect they have rather over embellished the benefits.
    The material is neither here nor there. Everybody and their dog's tapeworm claims special composites have special benefits in their application that the competitors can't compete with.
    The alignment?, doesn't the tuner bushing do that anyway?. Looking below the new product bumph, there's a comparison between the old, outdated, boringly conventional SD510 and the new, carbon fibre, with added Gleem(tm). The conventional one had an alignment bush...
    The resonance claim?, buy me a tie-pin if marketoglush claims like that haven't been made many times before. It's behind the nut!. There's not much there to begin with. Maybe the marketing droids candied their sinuses, practiced endobuccoglossis and set to work with 'How to make unsubstantiable claims that sound good and won't get us sued', as published by Fleece-em&Profit.
    The 'Defend' claim is a little more tricky to scoff at.

However... It may improve the centring, which will affect tuning feel, which will affect how you feel about it. It may protect the finish from fists of ham tightening sessions, and they only cost $10.

I don't think snakes were harmed, but they got nervous.

Bortyeast, PeterUK and rangercaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

This one actually makes sense to me, they seem to make for easier straight installation without needing to take extra care with a ruler against the more bulky tuner. Having the tuner in full contact with the headstock due to filling the void at the rear also sounds like a positive imo.

The price is a little high for the material they are made from, now if they were made from high quality tap tested tonewood or titanium I would have to get some.:)

$10 bucks is not a lot though. Worth a try if you've got $10 bucks to spare.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    PeterUK likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't here angels singing so it hasn't changed my life ( or death). I do use Gotoh bridges frequently though.;)

PeterUK likes this.
  9. PeterUK

I bought them from a US-based eBay seller. The company I work for has several offices around the US but I get my purchases sent to the Atlanta office and there are always a regular visitors to/from the UK/London office that can ‘mule’ stuff for me if I’m not there on a regular basis.

Although the £pound is on its @rse at the moment and the savings aren’t there to be had with a decent exchange rate, buying hard to get items like these is made easier and I avoid the shipping charges and import duty on anything over £18. It’s all legal and above board as individuals can bring in £350 worth of purchases without tax or duty!

Result!

LutherBurger and beagle like this.
  10. PeterUK

Brilliant reply! Thanks.

:lol: Peter

11. PeterUK

For $10 I was prepared to take the ‘risk’.

I can assure everyone that I’m sleeping well at night despite this investment.

I’ll report back - especially if I do actually hear angels sing!

beagle and Chunkocaster like this.
  12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Well if youve ever heard a note ringing out from the section of string between the nut and the tuner then you know you dont want it.

Id probably go without, as long as the tuners arent chipping the finish and your not swapping your tuners then I dont see a need.

PeterUK likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's why I'm interested.

14. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Yep, the benefits of centering the tuner post are worth the price of admission IMO. And if you're skeptical of the other claims, just use them to properly align the tuners when you drill the mounting screw holes and then remove them.

PeterUK likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Uh, well, if it makes the install "fool"proof maybe it's a good extra part to add to a guitar?

PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.