1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did Fender shoot Nitro in the 70's??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scarb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. scarb

scarb Tele-Meister

I know in 68 Fender changed to poly or a blend there of. I have been looking to buy a mid 70's strat. Most are natural, or ugly SB, I finally found an original 1976 Blonde strat. Very cool color. If you take the pick guard off, the blonde is a whole lot lighter. It has aged like nitro. I did'nt think poly turned gold. My question is, did Fender shoot poly on natural and SB strats as a norm , but Olympic White, blonde was clearcoated with nitro? Is this a possibility? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    scarb

Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes it aged like that cause the nitro topcoats turn yellow with age.

Before 68 they were all nitro after 68 they used poly undercoats.

Now a new Fender thats all poly wont age like that the nitro topcoats did that white to butterscotch fade just like the old Teles.

3. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Actually, the only "color" which you listed that was shot as lacquer in the 70s is sunburst finishes. However, I believe by the late 70s they were no longer lacquer. Except sunburst, the only lacquer finishes in the 70s were early 70s custom colors like sonic blue.

Natural, oly white, and blond were not lacquer in the 70s. Tanlines, fading, wear, and checking all happened with the poly finishes too. The checking was generally different with poly, being long and deep, whereas a crazing appearance is more common with lacquer.

4. PhatTele

PhatTele Tele-Holic

Interesting...I've always been curious about that. I've got a couple of early-mid 70s Mustang bodies finished in Olympic White. The fading/yellowing looks a lot like the picture of that Strat in the first post. Also, they both have that "crazing" type of checking going on all over the body and the necks that I got to go along with them (mid-70s). They look great and almost identical to the finish wear on a friend's '61 Strat, which is either from a lotta love or a lotta abuse (maybe both ;)

5. plusorminuszero

plusorminuszero TDPRI Member

Interesting. I am pretty sure an early 73 mustang body in burst is nitro. I just don’t have a solvent to test it.

It smells like nitro, and the body is checked quite fine, extensively. It was very dull before I hit it with Mother’s
    oxidation remover (pre wax cleaner), a very good product which has never caused upset to even the most delicate finish, or decal. I always assumed the shrinking guard was emitting the piney nitro essence. It became apparent during the deoxidizing procedure.

I lost a spot or two of paint around the heel while reconstructing the neck pocket, and am considering a touch up if the original is lacquer.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. The custardcaster in my avatar is lime white under the pickguard and solid colours (which were mostly Lucite - acrylic- by late 60s) got no topcoat.

The one place you'll find nitro on a 70's is the headstock face - the stickers reacted with poly.

BorderRadio and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Yep, only on the headstock face.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.