Did Fender originally shield Tele's or not?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I can't find much info on this, but on my current project I'm at the point of considering to shielding the cavities or not.

For this post, I would only like to know whether Tele's were originally shielded or not, and if so, how, and if not, when was it introduced

So not a debate whether it's a good idea, does it change tone, etc.

Just the history of shielding Tele's by Fender

double_a likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

no idea when. but originally. . . nada....

in the Blackguard book, by Nacho Banos, documenting the development and evolution of the Tele from the 1950 Broadcaster to the '54 Teles.. not one photo shows any shielding.

r
    The-Blackguard-Book-4.jpg

3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

You would think the only person that should have cared might be Les Paul. I have never witnessed any pics of old Fenders with shielding. They didn't have three prong outlets either at that time. It was a buzzy time;a shocking time.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Perhaps there were fewer florescent lights ;)

Wildcard_35, Milspec and FenderLover like this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

never seen or heard of shielding on an early vintage tele or later reissues ... Then again, anything is possible ...

6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Strats had shielding paint and a routed recess for a ground lug added in roughly 1979. A quick image search suggests they added a recess in the Tele cavities for the same purpose and started using shielding paint around 1978 - but a 1978 serial could end up on a 1979 guitar. Certainly, after 1975 and before 1980... ‘79 looks likely.

Of course, Tele’s had the metal bridge, bridge pickup base plate and control plate so they had *some* shielding by design.

7. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Interesting, that's what I thought.

Thx guys

8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

I'm curious why they appear to have stopped using chrome pick guards, I have a fender original chrome pickguard for my tele but I'm hesitating because I don't see any out there.
    Aesthetic reasons or is there tone loss with metal pickguards?

Did the metal pickguard help shield teles?

9. Ronkirn

I remember this pool party gig we were playing... and the vocalist grabs the mike stand. :eek:... It was amazing, none of us knew he had those "moves"... :D

rk

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it depends how you classify shielding. Teles originally shipped with ashtray covers just like lap steels --to shield the bridge pickup. The neck pickup has always had a cover. People used the ashtrays for smoking, probably because the vertical Tele cover would fall off while playing.

So now you need to shield the cavity behind the bridge pickup because none ship with covers.

There was a lot less wiring to create buzz back in the fifties too. Now we have modern noise, from modern devices like computers and phones in everyone's pocket.

Wildcard_35 and Milspec like this.
  11. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Don't know if he did or did not. But Shielding is obviously better. Dont sacrifice playability for such historical insignificance. Just my $0.02.

12. Ronkirn

if ya wanna know the real reason. because it would have added a few cents to this list... and if ya don't think a few cents would have been a factor.. ya haven't been paying attention over the past 60 years... :p

[​IMG]

r

13. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wow, he must've paid well. At .25 cost for 10 minutes to put on the pick guard he was paying $1.50 an hour for that work.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

8 bucks and change for a neck with tuners. man those were the days !.....

15. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

.025 cents

16. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Reminds me of a story i was told about the development of the original MGB sportscar. Apparently there was a choice between two possible door locks to use, with only pence between them in cost. The debate ran for some time until, unsurprisingly, the cheaper unit was authorised.
    I guess over 1000s of cars/guitars it all mounts up.

17. Ronkirn

Probably made by Lucas Electric... I had a 65 and a 68... I bought the second one because I couldn't believe the electrical system could possibly be that sketchy.... I was wrong... :rolleyes: I mean, two 6 volt batteries?? positive earth... What ... did Leyland soak their engineers in Beafeaters before they gave them their assignments. :p

r

18. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

Oh yeah. My whole house when I was a kid only had 2 prong outlets. And terrazzo floors.

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have never plugged into an AC powered amp that is not grounded but my guess (someone educate us here) is that old ungrounded amps actually had less noise.

The reason I am getting that impression is from using battery powered amps. I have had two amps that were battery powered OR AC powered.. One is a Roland Cube Street, the other is a THR5. Both of these amps produce less hum/buzz/noise when running on battery power.

Of course the Cube actually warns that you could get a mild harmless but annoying electrical shock running on battery power and if it bothers you to use the included ground terminal to ground the amp when running on battery! (I have not had it shock me)

Nothing I've ever seen indicated Fender ever shielded old Teles except for the bridge ashtray cover.

I'd think Les Paul would not have cared once he got his Humbuckers.

The history of the shielding would be interesting to get from Fender.. not all the guitars got shielding at the same time AFAICT, and some of the documents & schematics on the Fender website are not accurate in their dating. E.x. I have a MIM Standard. It is a 2016 and it had shielding paint that was grounded to the jack on all the body compartments. There are no documents on their website showing the Standard Telecaster with any shielding. The document for the Standard is from 1999 and is not shielded. Between 1999 & 2016 they started shielding them at some point. The new Player Telecaster still does not have a Service Diagram/Schematic on Fender's website.

20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

Are you guys intentionally going of on tangents? The op specifically stated

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.