1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did Fender discontinue the "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by nosuch, Aug 17, 2014.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I can't find it on their website anymore ...

2. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Perhaps...

Maybe they did. As rumor has it, the '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb is close to being ready for sale. Finally :D

3. DickArcher

DickArcher TDPRI Member

It's still going to be based on the same circuit board, isn't it?

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

probably a good thing ! It had an inherent low level noise and broke up way too early on the knob...all for $1000 or more ! It looked good though !

5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

All in the eye of the beholder. Sure the hiss is annoying but the way it breaks up is just what the doctor prescribed. ;-)

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID? HISSSSSSSS...... I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE NOISE MY CUSTOM VIBROLUX REVERB MAKES. HISSSSS....
    Seriously, I had one. I sold it. I don't miss it. I have no idea if they still make it.
    It sounded good, but the noise rumor is very real.
    If you haven't already played one try to do so before you drop cash.

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I too had one, loved it initially..then after a few gigs, didn't..for an amp of this sort and price... it should be quiet and perhaps have a bit more clean up the knob...

Once an amp goes into breakup territory, you can't return. Sure it sounded good..but for me..not enough clean on the knob...I wanted this amp to be a keeper...but it turned out to be a one gigger ! ( is that even a word ?)

8. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I have one. Wally in Lubbock installed a negative feedback loop, the key feature of the so-called Moyer mods, which made the amp quiet (you can still tell it is on, but quite acceptable), and it does not break up at as low a volume. He did some other things as well. It is now a great amp, with much higher clean volume and warmer sounding than a DRRI. A bit heavier, but not like a Twin.

When Fender releases the '68, these may wind up as bargains on the market, and with a little work by a good tech, you could end up with a great amp for much less than you would have to shell out for a new '68.

9. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Let's hope they replace it with a straight blackface vibrolux reverb reissue.

10. tweed135

tweed135 TDPRI Member

The custom vibrolux reverb stayed in the fender line for a loooooooooooong time. Pretty successful amp

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not if it is as close to the Blackface/Silverface sounding amp that they put out the demo of way back when. It sounded a lot like my '69 Vibrolux Reverb. And, I honestly hope it is based on one of the AB763 and later Vibrolux Reverb circuits.

The CVR is based off of the 6G16ri board. I would imagine Fender is going to put the brownface tone away for a while. It's too bad.... I still love my Vibroverb RI.

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Hey folks, I am not a first time buyer, I just wanted to know. it is my favourite amp for years now and I would be thinking about stocking up. I know it hisses, but you won't notice on stage. I was reluctant to use it in the studio because of that, but when I gave it a try it was not an issue, I just put a noise gate on the track and done.
    I don't want to touch it – I had a pro junior for some time and brought it to the doctor to get rid of the hiss. The hiss was gone but so was the tone.
    The CVR is not a bedroom amp, it is an efficient tool for working musicians.

Not enough headroom? It sure is not your clean amp you would use with pedals. In fact no drive pedal I used (or rather tried) with it was the line for more than a minute or so. The thing is: It doesn't need pedals to get to the sweet spot. I ride it hard and control it from the guitar and get clean and crunch tones at the right levels. It can give you cleans of reasonable level if you tame the guitars volume a bit or use the low input. We are an organ trio and do not play very loud, the amp hangs in with the leslie just fine. Each time I tried a pedal I thought I just bring the sound quality down. I don't think it is the best platform for the pedal board guys (no disrespect here), that would be a twin or similar. But the CVR is a nice tool for someone like me who is too stupid for pedals. Plug and play. Perfect in an imperfect way.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've never gotten to play one, but that is what I have always imagined, reading all the CVR threads on the forums. Sounds heavenly to me.

Maybe now that it's discontinued the used prices will get even more reasonable... hopefully they won't go the other direction, at least not for several years....

Altho, I must say, my Super-sonic 22 has gone a long way to reduce my CVR and VK gas... the SS is a damn monster, dead cleans and Fender overdrives, at many volume levels, great for home use and keeps up with a drummer no problem. Between it and the DRRI, they seem to be the "working man's amp" these days....

14. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

The Moyer mod, did the same thing with my CVR...:(
    My deluxe fits more with headroom and warmer tight sound (mostly humbucker user)

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am going to think that IF Fender is issuing a '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb that they are going to 'muddy' the water again because it won't be anything like the first Custom Vibrolux Reverb, which wasn't anything like the vintage Vibrolux REverb...but rather was a modified 6G16 Reissue amp. This new amp is probably going to based on the actual BF/SF Vibrolux REverb circuit....not the 6G16 Vibroverb circuit....since the other '68 Custom amps are based on the BF/SF models.
    So....don't get these amps all piled up in one box, now, ya hear.

Leon, I'm glad to hear that the changes for the CVR are working for you.

16. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The ads I've seen for the '68 Custom say reverb and tremolo on both channels. That means no negative feedback in rhe circuit. I think they have just made a couple of tweaks to the CVS and repackaged it with the Silver face cosmetics.

17. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Exactly my mindset...

18. Wally

Mike, just because the effects have been put into both channels does not mean that there is no negative feedback....although what literature I have found indicates that like the other '68 Customs...DR, TR, etc....there is a change to the negative feedback loop.
    IF a person is looking to understand what one of these amps really is....a modified SF Vibrolux Reverb or a further modification of the Custom Vibrolux Reverb/6G16 amp....one would want to ask 'what type of tremolo circuit is in the amp?' The CVR has the bias vary trem circuit as in the 6G16 Vibroverb.....which operates on the output section and is not channel specific..becasue that circuit is not in a channel...it is in the output section. The BF/SF Vibrolux REverbs have the opto-isolator tremolo system that was first introduced withthe AB763 circuits.

I have not heard mention of what type of trem is in the '68 Custom Vibrolux REverb amp. One other thing....if the amp has bright switches, it is a BF/SF ting....if not, it is a take off on the 6G16/CVR amp. I amthinking that FEnder had to have used the SF Vibrolux Reverb format for thsi one. Hwo else could they assure that they would totally confuse a fair segment of the market???

I did take note of the speakers...chinese G10 Celestions...way over priced and ugly sounding, ime. What is wrong with using some quality American/made speakers that would cost less and sound better!!! Tthose Celestion labels are expensive......(;^)

19. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Series: Vintage Modified
    Amplifier Type: Tube
    Speaker: Two - 10” Celestion TEN 30 Speakers for Crunchy Modern Tones
    Inputs: Four - (1/4", Two Custom and Two Vintage)
    Speaker Jack: Two 1/4" Parallel
    Channels: Two - (Custom and Vintage)
    Controls: Custom Channel: Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass
    Vintage Channel: Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb,
    Speed, Intensity
    Effects: Reverb, Vibrato
    Impedance: 4 Ohms
    Wattage: 35 Watts
    Preamp Tubes: Groove Tubes 4 x 12AX7, 2 X 12AT7
    Power Tubes: Groove Tubes® 2 x 6L6
    Cover/Grille Cloth: Black Textured Vinyl Covering with Silver-Turquoise Grille Cloth
    Control Panel: Silverface Style
    Handle: Molded Plastic Strap with Nickel-Plated Caps
    Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
    Pilot Light Jewel: Blue Jewel
    Included Accessories: 2-Button Footswitch , Fitted Amplifier Cover
    Height: 18.13" (46.05 cm)
    Width: 24.38" (61.93 cm)
    Depth: 9.63" (24.46 cm)
    Weight: 41.8 lbs. (18.96 kg)
    Other Features: Modified Vibrolux Reverb all-tube circuitry, shared reverb and tremolo
    on both channels, “Vintage” channel for traditional silverface tonality,
    modified “Custom” channel with Bassman tone stack, reduced negative feedback for greater touch sensitivity, hand-wired tube sockets, custom-made Schumacher transformers (like the originals), genuine Fender tube-driven spring reverb, genuine Fender tube-driven tremolo (“vibrato”), 1968-style Silverface aluminum trim around silver-turquiose grille cloth, five-year warranty

20. Wally

good catch, Mike. Then, the new...adn still confusing....'68 Custom Vibrolux REverb is a modified SF Vibrolux Reverb....and is much different form the 6G16/Custom Vibrolux Rever....despite the similar name. I knew when FEnder named that modified 6G16 the 'Custom Viborlux Reverb' that here would be confusion down the line....but I didn't know that they would revisit the situation and confuse it even more!! LOL

What Fender is doing with these '68 Customs is what techs have been doing for years...modifying that Normal Channel for hot tweed sonics. I don't know hwo they are handling the negative feedback. IF they are eliminating the NFB loop, then folks are not going to l ike the hiss....just like with the CVR.
    I like a hot amp at times, but I like to use an adjsutment pot in the NFB loop so I can go from 'stock' BF/SF clean's to hot, rich harmonics....by increasing that resistance in the loop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.