Did every public place in America smell like cigarettes in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Yup , untill early 2000's everyone smoked everywhere.
    My wife and I quit 6 months ago.
    The smell is really noticeable now , but it's no problem to avoid it these days.
    Man , I still miss smoking.........

Greggorios and P Thought like this.
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

My mom used to send me to the store on my bike to get smokes for her. Pack of Players light and a bag of chips $1.25

Canada 1976 :cool:

Greggorios and schmee like this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

48. Life long non-smoker. Family was religious and all. Anyhoo, I never liked smoke. But since it was everywhere you didn't notice it as much. On planes, too. Sat next to many a smoker on planes.

Fast forward to now when smoking is all but banned in any building. I'm no longer used to having it around all the time, so I'm far more vigilant and sensitive to it now. I hate even a tiny wiff of cigarette smoke now. I mean, with a visceral hate. So I'm very happy that smoking is no longer ubiquitous. But I'm also bothered by my reactions nowadays when I encounter smoke. I just can't, or won't, deal with it. It's actually more stressful for me nowadays to go to public events outside, cuz a big chunk of people still feel it's ok to smoke outside in public areas, crowded or not. It pretty much ruins it for me.

Go for a walk, hike, run... Without fail I will encounter smoke at some point. Go to an outdoor concert, park... Hell, even a high school sporting event, someone (usually many) will be smoking. Even in areas marked no-smoking. And there's nothing I can do about it. Some public areas are smoke-free. Most aren't.

Smokers don't notice how much their smoke affects the environment around them. Because they are used to having smoke around them. But it can be torture for the rest of us who aren't used to (or are no longer used to) having smoking around us. :mad::(

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, smoking on planes! Seems so distant a past now... wow
    I miss having a cigarette, but super glad I'm over that. I had to quit 3 times, twice for over a year and restarted before I finally really stopped.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Yep, and at that time Joe Jackson packed up from NYC and moved to Berlin, and not the one in Maryland....

Greggorios likes this.
  6. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

These were real ads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/blowing-smoke-vintage-ads-of-doctors-endorsing-tobacco/

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I remember an episode from I Love Lucy where she's in the Dr's office and they're both smoking. In fact, it might have been when she was pregnant with Little Ricky/Little Desi.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

You youngsters do know that Lucky Strikes (among other brands) were provided to WW2 soldiers in their C Rations? If you didn't smoke before you joined the army you did by the time you got out.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Around 1980, I had to spend 2 weeks in hospital. I got tight with the nurses and there were a couple who would draw the curtain for me so I could smoke, and they would empty the cup with a little water that was my ashtray.
    It's one of those things that seems so totally outlandish now, I could actually doubt my memory of it.

Greggorios and telemnemonics like this.
  10. charlie chitlin

...and my aunt Frankie from Brooklyn who, in her gravelly cigarette voice, would say to me, from the time I was about 5, "Hon...do me a fayva...go to my pockabook ova theya and get me my Pawl Mawls, wouldja?"
    How could I do anything BUT smoke?
    I don't know how old I was, but I remember filching cigs and smoking them behind the barn with a kid who I know moved away after 2nd grade.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

A few years ago, I was watching The Night Stalker from 1972 with my son. The episode was set in a hospital. At one point when Kolchak was waiting for an elevator, my son asked, "What's that thing between the elevator doors?"

Me: "You mean the buttons?"
    Him: "No, the thing that looks like a water fountain."
    Me: "That's an ashtray."
    Him: "People smoked in HOSPITALS?"

Greggorios likes this.
  12. charlie chitlin

It wasn't exactly SUGGESTED, per se, but a doc told my mom...a little on the QT...that if she kept smoking, my birth weight would be a little lower and delivery easier.
    Ahh...the good old days!

Greggorios likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This thread is doing fine without me, I know, but:

1) When I was a kid, people visiting our house would sometimes say, "Mind if I smoke?" and my dad would reply, "Smoke? Hell, I don't care if you burn!"

2) Because of some fiasco involving territories, I had to retake my commercial checkride with an FAA examiner. I was nervous about it, but did OK as he put me through my paces. Somewhere during the chandelles and lazy eights, the guy lit a cigarette, right there in the Cessna 150 cockpit. I didn't say anything, but I almost barfed in his lap.

3) When my grandpa was dying of emphysema, he was too weak to light his cigarette. I lit them for him. He'd take a couple puffs, then he was too weak to continue, and he'd hand them back to me. After a while, hating to waste them, I'd finish them. Those were the first cigarettes I ever smoked. I was a freshman in college.

4) During college years I'd play pickup basketball at lunchtime with some of the professors and some other students. I sometimes smoked while playing. Just showing off I guess. Cigarettes then were cheap. When they went up to 75 cents a pack, I swore I'd quit if they went past a dollar. Tried to, too. I smoked at home, in school, at work, in the car. . . .

5) I smoked for the next 20 years. I tried at least 30 times to quit. One time I made it a year and a half before I started again. Now it's been about 25 years since my last cigarette. I hope it's at least that long before my next one.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My knees will not tolerate any more running/race training, but what bugged me was cigars and pipes when I was running at a track or in the park and it was as though these cigar and pipe smokers knew they were angering fit people and they tried to intersect your path to trigger a confrontation or something.

What bothers me in WV is the smell of the coal fired power plants. I'm there often but not often enough to get used to it anymore. Meanwhile, along the Lower Mississippi from BR south, there's refineries and petrochemical smells and those I shrug off because I'm still so used to that.

Also, in WV, the smell of acid mine drainage in rivers. The runoff from old strip mines - awful.

Greggorios and Whatizitman like this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Way back in the before-time, I worked at a place where, on occasion, a co-worker would declare his intention to go on a smoke break. I, being a non-smoker, was not allowed such benefits.

But I'm a bright boy. I purchased a pack of cigarettes. And at the next appropriate time, I declared my own smoke break. When confronted by management, I showed them the pack. Then I proceeded to go outside and light one up. I didn't smoke it, oh no! I put it conveniently on the brick wall outside and let it burn down. When it went out, I went back in.

And would you believe that an unpuffed cigarette lasts at least twice as long as a puffed one?

Management wasn't completely dense, and allowed the rest of us the same benefit as the smokers after that.

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

born in 1952; almost everyone smoked. I lucked out; tried it a few times as a teenager, didn't like it. Both my parents smoked - my dad from WWII until he quit cold turkey, sometime in the 70's. My mom finally quit maybe in her 70's. Neither died of smoking related issues, per se, and as all will agree, we're going to die. Not sure dragging around an oxygen tank is fun, though.

I do remember that sometimes, the smell of a cigarette being lit, the first puff, was not entirely unpleasant. But very quickly, not pleasant at all. My ex smoked, without regard for two children in the house and that's only one of the many reasons I'm happy that association ended.

Ashtrays were everywhere. I guess there's some trade in "vintage" ashtrays these days. Did bring to mind the radioactive ashtray. Uranium glass was manufactured prior to understanding the risks of radioactivity. Once upon a time, "Fiesta Red" had an entirely different connotation:

Radioactive glazes
    Brilliant red Fiesta (and indeed the red glazes produced by all U.S. potteries of the era) is known for having a detectable amount of uranium oxide in its glaze, which produced the orange-red color. During World War II, the government took control of uranium for development of the atom bomb, and confiscated the company's stocks.[6] Homer Laughlin discontinued Fiesta red in 1944. The company reintroduced Fiesta red in 1959 using depleted uranium (rather than the original natural uranium), after the Atomic Energy Commission relaxed its restrictions on uranium oxide. In addition to pottery glazing, uranium oxide was used even more extensively in the tiling industry, producing uranium tile.

Red is not the only color of vintage ceramic glaze that is radioactive; it is detectable from other colors, including ivory.[7] The level of radioactivity of vintage fiestaware has been published and is available online.[7][8]

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency warns consumers not to use radioactive glazed ceramics for food or drink use.[9] Others recommend against using such pieces for food storage due to the possibility of leaching of uranium or other heavy metals (often present in some colored glazes) into food, especially acidic foods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta_(dinnerware)

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I know vaping is getting a bad rep at the moment, and it would be dumb to say that it is harmless, but general opinion seems to be that it is a sh!tload safer than smoking.

I smoked for most of my life until 5 years ago. Not a pack-a-day guy, more like a pack a week guy, but I could never completely quit until I found vaping, which allowed me to wean myself off the nicotine and then stop.

I still occasionally use a 'dry-herb' vape for, erm, dry herbs...:rolleyes:

The last time I had a chest x-ray my lungs were clear of any obvious nastiness, so fingers crossed I've got away with it...there are no guarantees though, I get that.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

upload_2019-12-2_15-3-32.jpeg
    We went with this Paprika color. It was 50% off, the entire set. No Uranium, I hope.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Everything smelled of cigarettes back then. My parents smoked. When I got into college, my roommate smoked three packs of unfiltered Camels a day. I started smoking Marlboros because of him. I quit as soon as I was out of college. BTW, he died several years ago. Even into the 1990's, smoking was allowed in bars and clubs in Ohio. After a gig, my gear would stink so bad, I would leave in the back hallway until I had time to hose it down with Formula 409.

20. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

My dad caught on that I (as a 6 yo boy) liked jumping in his lap after dinner when he lit his Lucky Strike with a Zippo... ah, the smell of tobacco and naphtha. He put a stop to it.

I think burning tobacco smelled better back then...

MuddyDitch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.