Did every public place in America smell like cigarettes in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Go pedal crazy somewhere else we're all full up around here. I'm seventy six years old, I'm getting ready to go play golf. I'll play from the men's tees, not the seniors and I'll score as well as lots of guys less than half my age. What ever I've been doing works for me. Believe what you wish, the whole point of all of my posts is to encourage you to follow your own heart, not someone else's.

soul-o and Greggorios like this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

My dad smoked a pipe when I was a kid. When the SG came out with the report on smoking, he wouldn't smoke in front of us kids...but kept a can of his favorite tobacco (Mixture #79) and a box of Dutch Masters on a shelf. I still have all his pipes. Neither mom or dad smoked cigarettes...I don't know why, they were both born in the early '20s and should have been a solid part of the cultural imperative. They were also Navy and thus were part of that social set. There were ashtrays in a drawer in the china cabinet and mom would set them out if anyone came by that smoked. I often heard her complain about the smell afterwards. By the '70s, she finally stood up against it and tossed all the ashtrays. Dad never let anyone smoke in the garage...probably because there was almost always an open can of solvent in use.

My eldest brother started smoking cigarettes in his early teens ('60s) and when he was 58 they cracked open his chest to do a triple bypass. He went cold turkey and never looked back. Neither of my other two brothers ever smoked at all.

I didn't really pay much attention to any of it until I was in my 20s. I tried a cigarette in my teens and didn't like it. I enjoyed smoking the "4th of July cigar" I would steal from my dad's stash to light fireworks...and did that annually until I moved out. I stopped going to bars because I hated having my clothes reek the next day (even though I was smoking a pipe then). I went to Scotland for 2 weeks in the '90s and everybody there smoked. It was like dropping back into the '60s.

I loved smoking cigars and smoking a pipe. When I met Miz Diane in '86 I stopped. I occasionally will buy a nice cigar but I'll go for a walk and smoke it...it doesn't seem the same anymore.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In 12 step programs we are supposed to follow the principle that it is a program of attraction rather than promotion.

Where you state that you quit drinking and smoking years ago, and now as an old feller you golf with the younger ones just fine, you make your choice potentially attractive to those who are undecided, without promoting your choice as the best or the only choice.

That works for me, and makes sense to many people trying to decide.

Tell a kid they have to eat cake or they will get a whipping?
    Vs tell a kid mmmm this cake is one of my favorites?

Which will be more attractive?

Toto'sDad and Greggorios like this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

The amazing thing that has NOT gone away is that so many smokers have no problem throwing butts everywhere.
    People who would never blow their nose and throw the tissue in the ground will toss a dozen non-biodegradable filters on the ground every day.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I don't miss the smoke, but I must admit the stage lights always looked better before the ban.

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Some day thousands of years from now, future archaeologists will be able to identify the 20th century, as they dig, by the layer of cigarette butts.

7. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

My hobby workshop is also a smoking room.:)
    IMG_20170624_140709_393.jpg IMG_20170704_205536_371.jpg

8. telemnemonics

Or if it's an alien race rather than people from a dis-dystopian future where we actually survived, will those future scientists come up with a big butts theory about why the humans perished?
    Something like our reproductive habits that increased population then killed us as we craved more and bigger butts?

9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Ponce, that is one inviting work place...smoke or no smoke. Warm looking, organized, looks well used and well loved. I'm betting you're a cool person...cheers.:)

ponce and telemnemonics like this.
  10. telemnemonics

It's funny, when I built boats in the '80s we worked with solvents in particular acetone, for both WEST system epoxy (wood epoxy saturation technique) and polyester resin for fiberglass.
    The shop was virtually always full of toxic dusts and fumes, which we would see on spring days when we opened the three story high doors and the sun streamed through the clouds or airborne crud.
    OSHA wasn't very busy then I guess and the EPA was who knows where, acetone was banned a few years later.

But a funny thing was that certain workers wouldn't wear a dust mask because it impeded their cigarette smoking!
    This was smoking cigarettes near flammable explosives like the open buckets of acetone!

So the owner warned that we had to wear dust masks in the shop, but didn't ban smoking in the shop.
    Odd but those were the times.

Do you smoke around flammable materials?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    ponce, charlie chitlin and stevemc like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Meanwhile, trends have moved one from smoking to vaping...

And the latest vaping health issues like the teen who needed a lung transplant are *crazy*. Just when you thought we had found a safe alternative to smoking.

2 Headed Goat and telemnemonics like this.
  12. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

one thing i was always good at was keeping my spent cigs in a container in the truck and in my pocket when outside.hey,i stunk anyway so...

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My ex-kayaking buddy was a handful in a lot of ways. Drove big vehicles too fast, and used gasoline so fast he made a guzzler like me look like an eco-warrior.

Not even 5 foot six inches, but you wouldn't want to cross this guy. And he was pretty much fearless on big hungry whitewater rivers (as long as someone like me was in position to rescue him if things went wrong and they did).

But if he saw a shopper dump their ashtray of butts in the parking lot, he'd insist we just wait until the shopper went inside, and he'd gather up all these butts, get the miscreant's car or truck door open some way (he was good at getting past locks without leaving a trace) and he'd dump the cigarette debris on the driver's seat. I mean, I mightily disapproved and we don't speak anymore but he got just immense satisfaction out of relocating their litter where he felt it belonged.

stevemc likes this.
  14. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

It's amazing how back in the day our whole society accepted something like than as the norm. Even medical professionals, who we expect to be scientific when it comes to health, accepted it without question and participated. I never smoked but played 5-6 days in smoky bars. We never questioned it. When you think about it, it's scary to see the effect of message reinforcement thru advertising on our culture.

15. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I've seen two ridiculous sights lately concerning smokers! I caught the train today to pick up my car today after some repairs and leaving the railway station there's a pub next door with a group of smokers outside & the pavement is littered in butts, The temp is 1C & it's sleeting, WTF is wrong with these people!

I took my old Mam for an hospital appointment last week and stood outside the hospital perimeter are three guys in pyjamas & dressing gowns having a smoke in the rain!!:eek: It's a 500 metres walk as there's no smoking on hospital grounds. I think that's the most pathetic sight I've ever seen.

They caught some of these clowns smoking in the toilets where they'd permanently disconnected the smoke alarms :eek: Beggars belief the danger they will put you through to have a cigarette.

aging_rocker likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

Seems crazy how easily we fall for advertising claims without question, but then whip out our skeptical critical thinking powers to combat science findings that show corporate claims are lies.

stevemc likes this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think I must be one of the youngest to respond? I was born in 1977. My perspective is smoking really didn't start to really disappear till the early 2000s.

On my mom's side of the family everyone smoked like a chimney when I was a kid. 70% or more of the adults I'd say. Lots of them died from smoking related stuff. My grandfather on that side died a horrible death at 59 of lung cancer that metastasized to his brain. Died over a long period of a lot of pain and misery/surgery/chemo and smoked like a chimney right to the end. They'd wheel him outside of the hospital in a wheelchair so he could smoke right to the end. My grandmother quit in the 80s after he died. Most of my aunts and uncles took another 20 years to quit. My mother hated smoking and would never allow it in the house.

No one on my Dad's side of the family smoked. My grandfather on that side smoked during WWII in the Pacific and quit in 1946 when he got back. Even then he thought it was a waste of money. He's still alive and is 95. Not doing that well, but he still lives at home with my grandmother. He's going to die maybe this year, but just from being near 100 years old.

My Dad would smoke at work right into the 90s and my mom would get mad. I remember in the 80s he'd smoke as a guest at friend's houses when they offered him a cigarrette.

I went to HS (Catholic) in the early 90s. There was a crew of guys who would sneak out of school and smoke cigarettes & occasionally MJ in the woods and the principals would go crazy trying to catch them. My HS was very disciplined & sports/health focused so it was a good way to get expelled.

I went to college in fall of 1995 in upstate NY. Everyone was smoking like a chimney that I remember in college. Not in the classrooms/hallways, but outside. And every party, bar, restaurant, fraternity house was full of smoke all the time. I'd get home and reek of smoke every night. I never picked it up. Tried it once one night and that was it.

Right around when I got out of college the restaurants & bars in Massachusetts started putting the ban hammer down. It still took a while. I still notice occasional places where there are a lot of smokers. Low rent Theme parks/Amusement parks are one place. Campgrounds where people are just parking the car and eating & drinking next to the car/camper. Stuff like that.

I work in an office park... half tech companies & half banks. At tech companies a lot of guys/girls in Tech Support & IT will still smoke (stress?). Sales & Engineering you don't really find many smokers. I've never worked for a bank.. but if I walk by the bank offices in our park it looks like tons more smokers still work at banks. If I walk out of my office there'll be 1-2 smokers you see outside. Walk by the bank and you usually see 20 people smoking out back at any point in the day.

I've seen a lot of vaping the last few years.. but that's dropped off like crazy lately because it became illegal to sell anything related to vaping in MA for a while this year. Who would have ever thought it'd be legal to buy marijuana and not some tobacco products...

hotpot likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm starting to think you're paid by BIG SCIENCE to write things like that :lol:

19. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I am going to interpret this as Toto'sDad telling me I should go buy some more guitar pedals. I was taught to respect my elders, so...

Toto'sDad and aging_rocker like this.
  20. telemnemonics

I read this yesterday and it still literally blows my mind.

I mean I grew up with all this and hated smoking and the smell of smoke as a kid, so was very aware of the offensive second hand smoke we didn't yet know was harmful. Complained plenty to my single Mother and her boyfriends about their smoking, but didn't get results. Due to childhood hay fever and asthma from animal allergies, tobacco smoke burned my nose and throat.
    There were times I needed EMT's to save me from my lungs shutting down, or I would have died.

But a Doctor in the deliver room not just smoking but allowing their picture to be taken holding the newborn while smoking?

Just wow.
    Science fiction can't make this stuff up...

I just remembered that in '75 when my wife was born, medical science felt that the Father should not be allowed in the room during birth.
    Her parents had to hunt to find a hospital that would allow her father to be present for the birth, and as it turned out it was a particularly bad hospital or staff.
    Bit of a nightmare as I've been told, grabbed the baby's head with metal tongs to pull her out.

Smoking though?
    Good!

John Nicholas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.