Did every public place in America smell like cigarettes in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

At any moment a fart cant turn into a shart with little to no forewarning.
    At least you know what your getting with a cigarette.:)

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure the smell of cheap perfume and lead fuel exhaust would have masked a lot of the cigarette fumes back in the 60's......:lol:

3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Well, you'd be surprised...

4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon TDPRI Member

Depends on the cultural region. In Germany we've come so far that there is no smoking allowed in railway stations. Not even outside.
    The rest tolerance for smoking is rapidly declining in western Europe. I like that very much.

I gave up my occasional pipe *) so I could demand the 19 year old son of my partner to stop using my back porch as a smoker's corner.
    He's seems not to be able to have even a small chat with his buddies without a cigarette. Every two minutes or so they say "let's have a smoke". It's a kind of peer group ritual for them and you can see they feel important in that moment.
    Smoking inside is out of the question, but even the stench that remains in the staircase when they walk thru is very annoying.

My worst experience with cigarette smoking was when I kissed my first girl friend who was a smoker. I find cigarettes disgusting since then.

(I always liked the flavor of fine pipe tobacco, as long as it was premium quality like the stuff that my teacher in composition used.)

GuitarKid, ndcaster and Fretting out like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t like to judge but yes this is my biggest pet peeve!
    Cigarette butts are the most common litter in the world
    I live near the Chesapeake bay and when I was in elementary school the teacher was talking about litter and cigarette butts getting into the water ways where ducks will eat them and get stuck in their stomachs and for some reason that’s stuck with me for 20 some years
    I keep getting pictures in my mind of some poor dying duck with a tummy full of cigarette butts
    So as I’ve grown up to be a smoker I never throw my butts on the ground and either put them in my pocket or a trash can

Apparently in Japan they have little pouches for sale everywhere that people keep on them for cigarette butts
    I’ve heard police even carry them around and will give them out if you ask
    I guess that’s Japan’s approach to litter education and apparently the cities like Tokyo don’t have a ton of litter on the streets

6. Fretting out

In Germany did you guys have higher standards than the USA as far a littering cigarette butts ?

I took a trip to German years ago and My uncle was telling me about when he lived in Germany in the late 70s he was standing on a train platform smoking a cigarette and when he was done he put it out on the ground
    He said a couple older folks gave him a hard look of disapproval
    Over here no one would bat an eyelash for throwing a butt on the ground

7. Fretting out

Not to make light of a serious health concern but as a smoker myself I always liked the Dennis Leary comedy album “No Cure for Cancer” on that album there is a segment about smoking
    He says how it takes 10 years of your life but hey it’s the 10 worst years the adult diaper wheelchair years

I do believe in the dangers of tobacco but I also believe that a lot of other factors go into the equation such as genetics, environment and lifestyle

Like chunkocaster said about his 90-something year old aunt who smoked forever, I had a grandmother who smoked from the age of 12 til she died in her 80s so it’s kind of a roulette of different factors

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon TDPRI Member

In some german cities you pay a fine when you leave your dog's poo on the ground. They provide small plastic bags everywhere in the parks etc.
    In some asian cities you pay a substantial fine when dropping a cigarette butt. That's great. Nobody has to leave his litter in public spaces.

The buddies of the mentioned young dude used to put the butts in an ash tray, but drop the ashes on the porch floor while smoking. I don't want to walk barefooted on cigarette ashes. Had to stop it for good.
    If they would have behaved, I'd have been much more tolerant.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    Fretting out and GuitarKid like this.
  9. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

As a former smoker, I flew to Dallas from Ohio and drank 2 beers and smoked 2 cigarettes there and back.

Must have been awful for the people near me.

My son just quit and is amazed and amazed at how bad smokers smell.

He is using a vape. The safe kind.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

good to hear things are changing in some areas

our experience is the same: I kissed a heavy smoker in college and still remember the sense of sourness and ash

but the pipe? I'm with you on that. one of the great smells of the world

Hari Seldon likes this.
  11. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

On the other hand, I was discussing with my wife just the other day how there seems to be more smokers now than 5 years ago. Everywhere we go we have to make turns and arrangements to avoid the nasty smokers on the sidewalks etc. Here in Brazil smoking is allowed in open air places. And smokers seem to be very entitled, as if asking for some simple fresh air without their nasty smoke was a kind of new age plot against them. We have a six month old baby and they don't seem to understand that we also have the right to not expose our daughter to that awful deadly and disgusting smell.

I was a smoker in my early 20s and if I recall correctly I was aware that people were not obliged to eat my smoke.

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon TDPRI Member

That's ugly. Sorry for you.

GuitarKid likes this.
  13. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

My mom used to send me with .25cents to get her smokes at the corner store. Consequently i began smoking in grade school. School teachers smoked like chimneys back then as well. This was the mid sixties. It seemed normal back then and i never heard of cancer. In the seventies is when the health risks seemed to be made public. Playing bar gigs was like being in a nicotine cloud.

14. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That was the turning point for all this. Luther Terry gave Tareyton the taste worth fighting for.

16. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Yes it was great. Though I didn't miss the smell of it where we were aloud to smoke in those areas. Anyhow, I really miss smoking in the bars, restaurants and especially airplanes to this day, I can take the stench, I'll man up.

Just so you know, they are slowly taking away our constitutional rights, and guns will be next I'm sure. Now let me go put on my bicycle helmet I'm going for a bicycle ride.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Er, did not see that one coming.... ;-0

Marc Morfei likes this.
  18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Different time indeed.

[​IMG]

P Thought and The Angry Possum like this.
  19. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Yea....the constitutional right to be a nasty inconsiderate selfish person that imposes his pollution onto others. Very fair.
    Edited to avoid stupid discussions. That one just amazes me.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had a philosophy prof who would routinely place his lit pipe in his jacket pocket when he leaned on his lectern while emphasizing a point..

I miss the academic pipe culture, even in the 80s there was still a group of young men who would suddenly acquire a pipe and old tweed jacket usually some time in second year. The library had a smoking lounge with old leather chairs and rickety side tables that was a great quiet place, somewhat like a private club. Most campus towns had a smoke shop that was another entree to “ serious study” most are gone or a shadow of self, my old haunt is stuffed in a corner of what is now a bourbon bar.. I haven’t owned a tweed blazer in years, but I still like a pipe & old sweater when the air turns chill.

Jerry J and Hari Seldon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.