Did every public place in America smell like cigarettes in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently the Chinese still smoke like chimneys. I have a hard time picturing it.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

One of the few places I remember people not smoking was the shop area in the car dealership where my dad worked. The parts and service writers did though, and since their area opened on to the shop...The sales guys smoked like chimneys even in new cars during test drives! One of the prize possessions was a model of a car tire designed to hold a glass ashtray.. apparently they stoped making them and they were divvied out by seniority.

2E9988C4-14E6-413A-8DEF-06128CACC927.jpeg

3. AKraken

AKraken TDPRI Member

The smoking section on international flights was the bomb! Chugging booze, chain smoking and chatting up Stu’s was the best. Flying sucks now.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Antique Malls across America are filled with old tyme ashtrays and those "smoking stands" where you parked a cigarette or cigar so it wouldn't set the upholstery on fire. Nobody buys them.

People used to smoke in bed, fall asleep, set the house ablaze and die in the fire. Sometimes taking the family in the unit above them along for the death ride. Luckily this doesn't happen so often anymore.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

60s, 70s, 80s, up to the early 90s. You went out in the evening, you came home smelling like cigarette smoke. Your hair, your jacket, your shirt. Everything. When you woke up in the morning your pillow would smell like smoke because your hair did. You'd sit in the corner lounges in the school library where smoking either was or had been allowed, and you'd stink like decades of putrid smoke. Summer was the smell of cigarettes and chlorine. I worked a gas station with smokers. When you opened the door in the winter, you'd see this cube of smoke fall out. At my first office job, they prohibited smoking on the floor (this was pre-cubicles), but not the corner offices. So, the old ladies would go in the boss' office and smoke in there. The poor old guy kept trying to quit, but couldn't.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Hari Seldon likes this.
  6. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I’m a few years younger than you are... However, I vividly remember trans-Atlantic flights in the ‘80s being so smoke-filled that I couldn’t see through the fog. This continued for years even after the US banned smoking in flights and everyone would light up as soon as we were over international waters. I lived abroad into the late ‘90s and smoking was still much more common internationally at that point. My mom was/is a smoker who generally did it outside once the implications were better understood, but to this day I am not particularly sensitive to the smell.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool, I've got one of those ashtrays here, too.... it still gets regular use when any smokers visit... as it did at home, back when I was a kid...

cleaned it especially for the pic,,,:D

tyre ashtray12.jpg

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Watch TV and movies today and you'll see the entertainment industry working hard to re-normalize smoking. They get caught every bow and again and swear that they'll back off, but as soon as the criticism dies down, everyone's back to smoking all over these productions. It's totally reprehensible for them to be encouraging backsliding -- for product-placement $$$ of course -- to the gross, fatal culture people are rightly remembering here. On the other hand, nobody's really doing the cigarette-burn-on-the-headstock element of relic-ing anymore, which is a relief.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I was there a couple of years ago and they still smoke a lot. And spit...

10. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Smoking was and is disgusting. The smoke gives me asthma attacks. The smell is enought to make me retch. I'm so glad I'm not constantly forced to live in that kind of environment anymore. It permeated everything, clung to everything, and you couldn't get away from it. It was everywhere. I was always sick as a child; it was amazing how much stronger, healthier, how much less constantly ill I became once I moved away from home. I had no idea what it was like to feel healthy, to know what normal felt like, until I moved away from my parents house. My asthma was all but gone.

I've never been a smoker. My dad gave me a cigarette to smoke when I was eleven years old, the age he started smoking. He encouraged me to smoke all of it, I think so I would like it and stop complaining about the constant smoke from both him and my mom.

My dad was a staunch defender of "smokers rights", as he called them; their entitlement to smoke anywhere and everywhere they pleased, no matter the health consequences, smell, or inconvenience to anyone else...everyone else could leave the restaurant, or the hospital, or the airplane if they wanted to. The airplane one was his favorite "joke". He was a pack and a half or two packs per day, and she was a half a pack to a pack a day. Both died 20 years before the had to, of illnesses and diseases caused by smoking.

If you ever get the chance to go to Alaska in the spring or summertime, the air there has this sweet smell. Like there is so much vegetation and evapotranspiration and so much less developed area, so much less pollution; every breath has this slightly sweet smell. You get used to it when you're there for a while.

Then you go back to your city or out in your countryside, in the more southerly developed areas, and you realize the air is gross. You can smell the soot, the factory farms, the fertilizer, the cars, the pollution. You can taste it. It's pretty sad. I'm looking forward to the day we have this same conversation, this same type of thread discussion, about air pollution and the smell.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    hotpot and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I'm a lifelong nonsmoker, and have my (at the time) smoker mother to thank for it. At the age of ten, in 1960, both of my parents smoked, and one could see a pall of smoke haze below the ceiling floating like an ugly gray stratus cloud. I decided I wanted to try a drag or two, so my mother let me. It was the most vile, foul and disgusting thing I had ever tasted. From that point forward, smoking was not an option. In 1964, when the Surgeon General's warning about cigarettes causing cancer came out, my mother quit cold turkey, and never touched them again. She lived to be 83. My father continued to smoke until his death at 63. There were several contributing factors to his death: renal failure due to Bright's disease contracted as a child being the most relevant, but the actual cause of death was heart failure that was heavily exacerbated by his smoking. We lost him way too soon.
    If others wish to smoke, I would never tell them that they shouldn't. But that smoking has been banned from most public places IMHO is a good thing, due mainly to the dangers of second-hand smoke exposure. That those smoke free places look, feel and smell much better are added benefits.

12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

It all stunk of cigarettes everywhere.

13. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

I'd rather sit next to a smoker than a screaming brat any day of the week.

My wife and I always joke when we got to Cracker Barrell, "Screaming or non screaming?" I've refused to sit in seats surrounded by kids. I tell them to put me in the grown-up section.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

To answer the OP: As a guy who played in many small bands in many small bars up and down the east coast in the 60's and 70's, the smell of cigarette smoke was probably one of the better oders that we had to deal with.

15. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

And yet an entire generation managed to grow to adulthood.

16. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

I used to play a place in Maryland called The Varsity Grill in the 70's. They laid picket fences on the bathroom floor to walk on because the toilets overflowed so often.

17. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

My parents both smoked, my grandparents smoked and every other adult I knew as a kid smoked (born in 1964). As for me and my siblings, my older brother never smoked, my older sister did and still does, as for me, I never did. When we went out to eat or to the Elks club when I was a kid my parents smoked before the meal, and had another couple with a drink after dinner. Being in the car was the worst, we had a big old two door Monte Carlo with stationary back windows. Don’t get me wrong, my parents were great and we had some great road trips, but I hated the smoke. I high school there were some smokers. When I was in college a lot more young adults smoked and you could buy cigarettes at 18. Then I bartended and played in top forty bands in bars as well. No matter where you went people were smoking...stores, ball parks, amusement parks, bars bowling alleys, restaurants, movie theaters, everywhere. I was super pleased when they passed the no smoking laws in California.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Smoking is a very social activity, I smoke alone throughout the day etc but do enjoy a chat with a fellow smoker when we are expelled from a bar or restaurant, enjoying a break for a smoke etc. I'm guessing non smokers don't really get many opportunities to enjoy a time out and random conversation with a stranger like that.

You are treated like a leper by anti smoking extremist types but that's not always such a bad thing.
    Worrying about what other people are doing all the time or what illness you may get isn't much better for health than smoking imo.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Farts don’t cause emphysema, heart and lung disease, or cancer. And farts don’t stain walls and windows, nor do farts leave smelly residue on your hair or clothes. I would prefer sitting in a crowded public toilet at a border-area Walmart than sitting in a car with someone smoking a cigarette.

20. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Um ok, right. Mr. Serious has his say.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.