Did every public place in America smell like cigarettes in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I can remember occasionally needing to knock on the "Teachers Lounge" in the '70's.. a "smoke filled room" indeed, you would have needed a carbide lantern to navigate..if you were allowed in.

Teddyjack and aging_rocker like this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I'm younger than you, and from a very anti-smoking city, and even I remember lots of public places smelling like cigarettes. I would imagine that the farther back you go, the more it smelled that way, and in more places.

All in all, we live in a pretty decent smelling world, when you compare it to times passed. And cigarette smoke isn't even the main thing I'm talking about.

stevemc likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My first tech job was on-site computer repair at an office supply company. I don't miss having to clean up the inside of IBM PCs after the office smokers puffed away around them.

4. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I was born and lived in rural western Kentucky until the early-70s. Tobacco paid a lot of the bills and smoking was viewed as almost patriotic.
    • Both my grandfathers and three of of my uncles raised tobacco or sold their base.
    • My pediatrician smoked during all my examinations as a kid.
    • My piano teacher chain smoked during every lesson.
    • Most of the guys on my paper route were steady smokers by age 12 (parents bought cigarettes by the carton, so lifting a pack was easy).
    • My Junior-High provided students a smoking area.
    • Per state law, my High School provided smoking breaks.
    • We felt screwed when the Army stopped allowing smoke breaks during the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.
    • My dad was firmly against cigarettes -- he smoked cigars.
    I've long suspected that the elimination of vent windows from American cars did more to reduce smoking in my hometown than all the cancer warnings and PSAs.

5. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

The World Smoked...and some countries still do.

aging_rocker likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I will say that I believe, that smoking tobacco seemed to suppress people's appetites and more time was spent by many, away from food and caloric non alcoholic beverages.

Now, the smoke break is replaced by a Little Debbie's break and instead of going to bars and smoking (and drinking some), people go where food is served and they stuff their faces.

Maybe the suffering and loss associated with tobacco has been replaced by the suffering and loss associated with diabetes and acute obesity.

Think about it this way: if the Breadwinner of the house was more concerned about buying tobacco than about a big grocery delivery or package from the meat market, that family made due with less food and usually, less food means skinnier kids and skinny kids normally become skinny adults also.

Like many, my Dad began smoking in the service during WW II. When discharged he switched to pipe tobacco (except for freebee packs of cigarettes now and again, from airlines or through the mail). He didn't quit the pipe until I think 1973. And he told me that gradually he began to be able to taste food. And he discovered he disliked some foods he had been eating and he discovered a few foods he liked that he long thought he disliked. Because of that pipe, he was only guessing what things tasted like.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    ponce likes this.
  7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

It was very acceptable to smoke in bars even in the nineties. A funny scene from Seinfeld.

8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Poor thang!
    Wait till your knees and hips need to be replaced.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

There was a time when bands had no need to carry haze machines. The crowd took care of that...

aging_rocker likes this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Dead on. My cessations (3) slapped about 40 pounds on me each time. My cardiologist told me that he would prefer cancer to severe diebetes any day.

Oh well at least I don't smell like an ashtray as I waddle my fat butt around gasping for air.

Kinda funny when you think about it.

Just don't, don't smoke and don't eat.
    Exercise that stress off.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Thanks, it's a tiny space but nice for hanging out, having a glass of beer while doing this and that on some slow projects.
    Should you ever come over to Croatia, you're welcome to stop by for some guitar talk and a coffee/beer.;)

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Thanks, just might take you up on it some day. Croatia's on my travel list.

ponce likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you sir. I don't tell anyone what to do, but like you say, if they see the results of clean living, maybe it'll make 'em think. I'm pretty sure I could not have lasted as long, or anywhere near as well if I had not quit using Tabaco and alcohol. Young folks gonna do what they want. It has been written raise a young man up in the ways of righteousness, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Doesn't say a thing about what he's gonna do from twenty to fifty!

14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

This has probably already been covered but you could smoke ANYWHERE & EVERYWHERE!! In elevators, on public transportation, hospitals, teachers smoked in the staff lounge, parents smoked in cars with their children.....I'm not sure there was anywhere you couldn't smoke...lol. I was about 14 when I was allowed to smoke in the house. My parents figured out I was stealing my mothers extra long butts from the ashtray and smoking them. They said "Well, if you're smoking you might as well just smoke out in the open" or something to that affect. I clearly remember feeling very awkward with smoking in front of my folks at first.

Even when I was a smoker I found bars very gross. You were always looking through a blue haze trying to see the band. And the next morning, with a hangover, your clothes smelled like an ashtray. It was gross. I couldn't even imagine kissing someone now who smokes...yuck!! Even while I was still a smoker I welcomed the growing ban on places where you could smoke....it's a good thing.

15. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Not when working with flammable stuff. And that place is venting most of the day/night. I'm not a heavy smoker too, 5 - 10 a day. But I admit it's one of the worst habits. Europe is changing too slowly.

P.S. now I see my avatar - Bill Evans smoking while playing the piano.:lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  16. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Shhh. Y'all quit it before somebody decides it was smokers who caused global warming and file a class action. :lol:

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, especially the Holiday House on Route 22, where you could eat big shrimp cocktails and listen to The Temptations.

Basically, America smelled like Europe.

Europe still smells like Europe, especially in Prague. I think they start smoking there in kindergarten.

DrPepper and TheGoodTexan like this.
  18. ChuckC

ChuckC TDPRI Member

I'm the craziest one here ... Quit smoking when I was 27... 40 yrs later started smoking again when I was 67 years old. I'm 78 years old now. My wife passed away when I was 65 and I developed a very bad cough. Doctors could not find the reason for the cough and nothing would stop it. My throat tickled continuously so bad that it was hard to speak even two words without coughing. However I could still sing without any trouble. Was a non smoker and with a friend who smoked. I liked the smell and I ask for a cigarette. The cigarette stopped the coughing instantly, now I'm hooked.

19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Yep, in places like Greece, a lot of Eastern Europe, etc. they still smoke prolifically from birth, or thereabouts.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. ChuckC

ChuckC TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.