Did Duane Allman have custom pickups wound by Mike Ladd?

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Have you posted this question on that ABB forum? (I can’t for the life of me remember the name). There were a lot of old timers posting there, people who were close to the band etc.

Dickey Betts might know. Just have to figure out how to get the question to him. It would be nice to get some of this history before the people with firsthand knowledge are all gone, for posterity.

I always wondered what happened to the PAFs that came out of the cherry burst when Duane swapped in the pickups from his goldtop. But that’s just a silly question.

edit to say looky, a person with direct knowledge posted just before me:)

imtxn

TDPRI Member
Do any of you folks remember Duane in that bar on Piedmont & Peachtree St. jamming with Eric Quincy Tate

ToneM1

TDPRI Member
Dickey doesn't remember. I asked him this Q about 30+ years ago. The only for certain thing I know is that Red Dog and Joe Dan took the PAF's out of the Goldtop and put them in the Cherry Burst in the Fall of 1970 when Duane did the swap with the guy from the Stone Balloon. Duane liked the pickups in the GT better than the ones in the Cherryburst. The ones in the GT were early humbuckings and had the Stainless Steel covers, etc. It had better clarity and harmonics. I'll ask Warren next time I talk to him about the SG, but I'd lay good money on the fact that nothings been changed out of it. The chain of custody is pretty slim. It went from Duane to Gerry Groom, Gerry sold it to Grahm Nash's wife as he needed money for a cancer operation. Graham loaned it to the R'n R HoF and then the Family bought it back a few years ago. It's resided at the Big House ever since and gets loaned out to Artists who play in the area.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I find this highly unlikely!
Stories I’ve heard over the years refute it completely. Duane would come over to my neighbour’s apartment near Piedmont Park to jam with the him and get high.

He was always talking about the tobacco Les Paul of his dream and how he hoped to one day get one.

Well, one of his friends was looking… he finally found it but was only able to get it to Duane on the day of the Fillmore concert. That was the first time he played it......
That's amazing. IMO Duane's tone on "At Fillmore East" is one of the very best guitars tones ever. It's wild that he only got the guitar that day.