Did Anyone Know A Major Artist When They Were Just Local?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 11, 2012.

1. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

Timbuk3, Hal Ketchum, Nancy Griffin.

2. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I saw Robert Cray many, many times in the early Eighties, mostly at a tiny local place called Taylor's. Cover was two bucks. Not sure if he counts as a "major," but Watermelon Slim taught me how to properly don a set of fingerpicks. We wound up in several of the same classes at the University of Oregon. Slim (Bill) loves him some Shakespeare.

3. boldaslove71

boldaslove71 Tele-Meister

Living in Milwaukee does not always afford a chance to know someone famous and the Fonz does not count!.

Greg Koch, on the other hand, has been on my radar for 20 years. I've run into him in the strangest of places (Frankfort, Fender NAMM as examples). He is playing a fundraiser at our local high school today!

4. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

a friend of mine in college did a 30 yr tour with Mellencamp.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow, Taylor's! That takes me back. I lived in Eugene 1980-1992. How about Curtis Salgado? Is he major? He used to play a lot of the same joints in Eugene around the same time you're talking about.

EDIT: Now I know why I just thought of him. From Wikipedia: "For six years he performed with Robert Cray's band, and sang lead on Cray's debut album.":oops:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Not music related, but star/comedian Nick Swardson lived 4 houses down on my block. Nice family.

7. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

Kansas in 1972/73. In Manhattan, Ks of all places. One the band members worked at the local stereo shop, called The Gramaphone Works. The local FM radio station (KMKF) used to play a couple of their demo tapes (Belexis, Incomudro) on a late night program. I still marvel today at the fact some of their songs are standards on Classic rock stations and get almost daily air play.

8. Eric W

Eric W Tele-Meister

There's always the Violent Femmes!

9. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I used to go out to see the southern rock band Blackfoot playing NJ bars before they had a record out. They used to keep cottonballs at the sound board for people who thought it was too loud.

10. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

Curtis is still around town, playing and hosting shows. I'd venture to guess you wouldn't recognize him, but he's still Curtis. If you were in town during those years, then I'd further venture to guess that if we were to see each other at a show, we'd both think, "hey, that guy looks vaguely familiar!" Greetings, prodigal homeboy!

Jeff

11. james lee

james lee Tele-Meister

I have known a lot. But not a name dropper.

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the early 70s, I was in a band that played Sunday-Tuesday at a place where Heart and BTO played on Friday-Saturdays. I was playing other gigs those nights, so I never got a chance to see either.

Speaking of Eugene, OR, one of my guitar students had a walk-on part in Animal House. The band fronted by Curtis Knight, who sang "Shout," included Robert Cray on bass.

Growing up in southeast Washington state, we used to make special trips to the local soda fountain to see the beautiful Miss Tri-Cities, Sharon Tate.

13. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Clint Lowery from Sevendust lived about 5 houses up the road from me. His younger brother was the lead singer in out garage band all through Jr. High and High School. Clint and his other brother played in a band that we used to see when they were in town. We jammed and I learned some things once or twice but I was much younger.

14. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Cheers! Have a waffle sampler at the Glenwood for me!

/TJ

16. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I used to play at this place on the St. Louis Delmar Loop called The Red Sea. Across the street, Uncle Tupleo would play at Cicero's, and we'd catch quite a few of their shows.

17. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago, I went to see a band and later chatted and had a beer with the guys from Bare Naked Ladies. Bought their cassette that everyone talks about as an indy band success story. That's about as close as I can get.

I'll always kind of regret when friends were going out (couldn't go for some reason), they came back really excited about this guy "he plays seated and puts his guitar on his lap." Later, they met and chatted with Jeff Healey. I really missed out.

18. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Depends what you mean by "major." In the 80s, I saw X get booed off the stage -- must have been their first or second gig.

Also saw one of the earliest shows by the Go-Go's.

Saw the Plimsouls so many times I lost count. And like everyone else at those shows, just could NOT figure out why they weren't the biggest act in the world.

19. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

I went to high school with Garth Brooks. Enh.

20. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Pat Benatar sang for a jazz group called Coxon's Army in a bar/restaurant in the early 70's here in Richmond.

And, Springsteen was with Steel Mill, one of Richmond's favorite bands as they travelled up and down the east coast in '69--that's the year I showed up in Richmond

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.