Did Any blackguard Teles use this cap?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JamesVRoy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

20200329_114401.jpg Have a cap from a '53 Fender, appears to be a .05 MF but hard to read through the wax. Did these come in any of the blackguard era? Its from a lap steel I believe.
    20200329_114429.jpg

2. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

I'm no expert, but P383 of Nacho's Blackguard book shows clear pictures of the 4 different types used in the blackguard era. They look similar to yours but none looks like a match, although the lettering is very blurred in your picture.

I checked the cap in my late 53 avatar Tele which corresponds exactly to Nacho's type 3 as it should.

I'm sure others who really know this stuff will be more enlightening, but hope this is a useful starter.

JamesVRoy likes this.
  3. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

Yeah, its blurry in real life too. The wax makes it hard to read. I don't have that book, can you post a pic of the page at some point. Thanks

4. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

If you wipe the cap with some wd40 it will clear it up somewhat. Maybe do that and then take new pics?

5. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Here's a photo of the relevant bit of Nacho's book, together with the cap from my late 53. (Yes I know about the non-original but close to period-correct pot, before a sharp eyed vintage Tele expert tells me!!)

20200330_165940.jpg

Apologies to Nacho for this, but I know he is always keen to spread the word about these arcane details. By the way The Blackguard Book is the greatest ever work of scholarship and enthusiasm about a model of vintage guitar imho.

Antoon and JamesVRoy like this.
  6. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

the one from the OP looks a bit different to mine.
    Mine is like type 2 in the Nacho photo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.