1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did all this music start here?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by peteb, Oct 13, 2015.

1. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Blues, late 19th century, southern US

Jazz, early 20th century, US

Country, 1920s, southern US (+Appalachia)

Western, 1940s, western us

Rock and roll, late 1940s, US

All of these music styles have folk music influence, but what music doesn't?

These music styles have roots in different places like Europe and Africa, but they did not come into their own until they came togethor in the us.

Is it a distorted view point to believe that all of these popular music styles began in the US?

my source is wikipedia

2. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

More

Boogie woogie, late 19th century, piney woods northwest Texas

Gospel music, 1st qtr 20th century, US

Appalachian, 1920s, Appalachia

Swing, 1930s, US

Rhythm and blues, 1940s, US

Reggae, late 1960s, Jamaica, Kingston (still America)

Disco, late 1960s, early 1970s, us

Punk rock, mid 1970s, US, UK, AUS

Hip hop, 1970s, the Bronx

Industrial, 1970s, UK, Germany
    New wave, late 1970s, US, UK

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

This should turn into an interesting thread overnight. ;)

4. Rayner

Rayner Tele-Meister

I like how the US gets all the good music the shares the blame for punk rock, industrial and New wave! :eek:

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The US was the only place where you had the large-scale mixing of African musical traditions with the European at that time; that's the only way most of those, especially Jazz, Blues, Rock, and even Country (the Banjo is derived from a West African instrument) could ever have developed.

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

The blues was born in Mississippi. I don't know it for a fact; but that's what I believe.

7. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Part of the surprise to me is that all of these styles are to have started in the 20th century or right before, even though they all have roots going further back.

Since a lot of music styles started in the 1900s, it must have a lot to do with the commercialization of music. The century started with the phonograph and then radio came along.

I find it interesting that both European and African influences crossed the Atlantic and merged here to form blues, jazz etc, when they could have combined over there. But as Mr. L points out, there was more mixing here.

Per the source, the U.S. did NOT have a share in industrial, but yes for the others.

I agree, The blues Is recognized as starting in Mississippi.

8. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

i like how the music keeps crossing the atlantic.

our original music came from europe, like traditional irish folk ballads, the music gets mixed with other cultures and crosses the atlantic, white boys in england listen to and copy american black musicians, that music crosses the atlantic and the US goes crazy over it. those same musicians come to the US and pick up on american culture and put it into their music.

my favorite example is Phil Lynott of thin lizzy, an Irishman of African descent, singing about bustin broncs in the american west in The Cowboy Song

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Jamaica is part of the US? When did that happen?

Hawaiian music started in Hawaii, but it wasn't a state in the early 20th century when the Hawaiian music craze came to America.

10. Horsefighter

Horsefighter Tele-Meister

Weird food for thought. An American music history scholar/expert did a lecture in my American Roots class, and basically debunked the myth that our early national music was derived from Irish/Scottish songs. The earliest copies of American composed songs we still have apparently bear basically no relation to those cultures. Blew my mind as I always assumed this to be true.

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If you'd care to share the person's name or names of publications, that would be very interesting to me. You can PM me, if you like.

I've gone to tons of talks by music historians, theorists, and others in the academic environment. I have found that for every widely shared belief, there are scholars who attempt to debunk it, sometimes with devastating effect. Sometimes the new model is adopted "permanently," sometimes it is held with a certain amount of suspicion, and sometimes it is eventually disregarded as the earlier model is restored as a basic belief.

I'm not criticizing this particular belief at all. I don't have the background to evaluate the truth of it at all, and can only go by what I think most of the people that I respect think about it. Playing it safe, I know, but it is a stance that has worked for me. But, I also don't care if my personal conjecture is shown to be unsupported. When that happens, which it does quite frequently, it is usually no skin off my teeth if I have to change beliefs. Perhaps "beliefs" is too strong a word.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^ A lot of Appalachian music was.

Same damn songs in some instances - just twisted up some. Especially the acapella stuff.

Techno - yes. Industrial ? Probably those industrious Germans but - I don't care about sub-genres and there's no place in music where it's more needlessly broken up into little cubes than in electronic music.

13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Music of many styles was brought to America by immigrants from dozens of different country's. It is the merging of those influences that created those earlier popular genres.

All music is just an evolution and merging of earlier styles. What Rock 'n Roll ultimately became bared little resemblance to the early Bill Haley, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry that started it all. The British should be getting some credit for it's involvement of the evolution.

It should also be noted that the popular genres listed are not popular everywhere. Is a genre only considered popular when America says it's popular? There is a big world of music beyond America... and yes, it is popular - just not here.

Just my 2 cents...

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"What Rock 'n Roll ultimately became bared little resemblance to the early Bill Haley, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry that started it all."

I respectfully disagree. Those artists you mentioned, the music they did, that is Rock 'n Roll. What came later was not Rock n Roll, and it's not what Rock n Roll became, either. Rock n Roll lives on it's own, unchanged and forever.

In my opinion.

I do agree that the two bare little resemblance to each other

Really we are probably not disagreeing at all. I just always bristle at even the slightest implication that "Rock" music is Rock 'n Roll :lol: It is so very NOT.

15. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I think we are on the same page... One influences the next and music evolves... that's all I'm saying. In no way am I downplaying the importance of those early rock n' roll artists...

16. blowtorch

yeah codamedia, sorry, you awoke the rock n roll police in me ("why yes, as a matter of fact, I AM the rock n' roll police"). we are all good. :lol:

17. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I vote we eliminate all genre naming and give credit where credit is due.
    It all started with a drummer. This did not occur in the USA.
    Whoever invented Presidential funk (Pfunk) was one cool individual though.

18. blowtorch

Elvis's early Sun Sessions had no drummer

19. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Beyond the roots of each genre, the recording industry was the largest in the U.S. and sold product by giving names to cross cultural types of music names intended for a specific audience.
    I think the roots came from all over, but the recording industry was very important in the distillation into specific types of music.

20. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You got it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.