1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did 69 teles come with clear poly finish?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by huntster, Jun 10, 2014.

1. huntster

huntster Tele-Meister

Anyone think this is true by looking at the phots below whether or not this is a real 69 tele? --->> Here is what the seller is saying--->>>

Truly a stunning guitar. The combination of a 45 year old, one piece body of super light swamp ash result in a resonance you can hear and feel. The neck pickup has been replaced with a '66 Gibson T humbucker that matches perfectly with the stock tele bridge pickup. Perfect Keith Richards rock vibe, but also covers just about any other genre from Mike Stern jazz to Albert Collins blues.
    Easy on the back with a 6lb 5oz weight...try to find that in a solid tele! This is just a fun guitar to play. It's been played so has the usual amount of dings and dents for this age guitar, but everything works great. Original finish with some checking and dings. Neck fingerboard has some wear marks as shown in the photos. Frets have plenty of life in them.
    Alterations from stock include: humbucker rout, larger frets, and brass saddles. Also, at some point tuning pegs were altered and then the originals replaced, an additional string tree was added then removed, and some small holes drilled and filled.
    The original case is in good condition, handle fair, with correct Fender logo attached.
    Overall, a great playing and toneful tele that will appreciate as a vintage investment. To clarify some details regarding this piece: 1) Serial Number 257099 is a 1969 guitar. (The range was 250000 to 280000 for '69 teles) 2) The F series stamped neck code is 3 467 119B. The 3 indicates model (tele), the 467 is the batch code, 11 is the month, 9 is the year (1969), and B is the neck width (1 5/8"). 3) the CTS pot codes are both 137 6607. This dates them to the 7th week of 1966 and is common for late 60s Fenders as they purchased a large quantity of pots from CTS in 1966 that lasted for several years. 4) 1969 was post CBS, nitro was transitioned out and a thicker poly finish was being used. This guitar has the original poly finish being used in 1969. There is some finish checking, but not as much as a nitro finish would have. 5) the Fender logo on the headstock is black with gold trim and is under the finish. In 1969, the only nitro applied to a tele was to the headstock to cover the decal. As such, there is a slight difference to the way the finish ages on the face of the headstock. This is actually one way of verifying originality for a '69 guitar. Also, in 1969 Fender went back to the one piece maple neck with skunk stripe, which this guitar has. 6) in 1969 Fender was reportedly having trouble sourcing lighter swamp ash. This led to the introduction of the thin line series and makes this extra light solid one piece body even more rare.

Here are some photos - ->> I didnt know 69 Fenders had a clear poly finish like this? Did they? Think this body is a 1969 or not? I kinda thought it may be a 69 re-issue. He claims its the real deal. Hmm...

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I believe a 1969 neck would have had nut width/month/year like 3Jun69 on the stamp. The mixed up codes started in the early 70's. I don't think clear was an original color, Ash would be blonde. It was popular to refinish them in clear for some reason.
    I'd be cautious and skeptical personally.

3. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

I'm no pro, but it doesn't scan.

4. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

I'd say that has been refinished at some point in its life.Generally that about halves the value.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

the neck looks right for that era you can see its a laminated cap from just behind the nut plus the skunk stripe looks correct for 69 laminated cap
    i'd say the guitar is fine but what do i know
    good luck if your buying it

6. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Why does it look like there are plugged holes in the neck?

[​IMG]

7. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I believe it is because there are plugged holes. :lol:

8. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like there are matching holes in the body under the neck pocket as well. I wonder what was joined together there? :confused:

9. LongLiveRock54

By Gawd, you're a genius man! :lol:

I should have asked WHY are there plugged holes there?

10. LongLiveRock54

At first I was thinking those were a reflection of the ones in the neck, but you may be correct.

Maybe he had "L" brackets mounted there.... :?:

11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

That is a trickier question unfortunately. :lol: I went for the low hanging fruit.

12. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Looks like a refinned body that was sanded a bit too much

13. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

It looks like the the body has been refinished. I don't think Fender offered a clear finish in '69.

14. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

As far as I know Fender did not offer Natural as a finish until 1971. When I bought my 1969 Tele new in 1969 it was NOT an option.

I'm wondering if the guitar has had its original blond finish removed but the poly undercoat left intact. My guitar has this finish combination on the body (I'm not sure if the finish coat is nitro or poly but I think it's the former) and while parts of the blond have easily worn off, the poly underneath is MUCH more durable. I would not be surprised if it would be possible to remove the blond and leave the clear poly. Here's a picture of the arm wear on my Tele that shows what I mean:

[​IMG]

Also, the black pick guard is not stock…they forgot to mention that…

15. huntster

huntster Tele-Meister

My question is--- Did Fender use those white rubber O ring grommets under the strap buttons back then? Sure is funny my two 94 re-issue 69 MIK(Korea) clear poly finished bodies do and they both look JUST LIKE this sellers body--Coinicidence--Hmmmmmm Then he says Post CBS Fender just happened to switch to a clear poly thicker finish. Hmmmmmmm.... That finish looks pretty new to me besides light cracking and ding marks-- just looks like a 1994 era look finish to me. I havent heard from one 69 owner ever seeing a clear finish on their 69's back then. Basically white or blonde.

Pics of the white rubber O rings under the strap buttons--->> Uh-- I dont think thats a 1969 era design do you? The rubber would be all cracked and hard and probably falling out-- The body just looks too new to me. The neck may be legit but thats all-- My guess--- a MIK clear poly 94 body with a 69 neck. I wanna see under that pickguard at the pup cavities for markings and aged componets. Looks too fishy. Also-- I think those 2 re-drilled filled holes in the body under the neck cavity ARE a reflection of the 2 holes re-drilled in the base of the neck. Not sure why he re-drilled those 2 holes there. Just saying-- looks like it isnt 4 re-drilled holes but 2 with 2 being reflections from the other 2 onto the shiny finish. You can see the reflected skunk stripe as well -- hence the 2 reflected re-drilled holes as well. OK-- enough with the re-drilled holes-- I know.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Also if the neck was original-- why are their re-drilled holes on the back of the headstock at the tuning heads?

here--->>

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

16. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I see what you're seeing but It think it's just the part of the neck face that extends a little past the nut before curving down onto the face of the headstock. It's giving the appearance of a laminated fingerboard but I don't think it is. If it were, why would there be a skunk stripe and a headstock plug? If this is correct I didn't realize they were doing this in '69.

17. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

unsettling

Attached Files:

18. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Sorry, I couldn`t resist posting the pic here!

[​IMG]

19. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I was looking at a guitar today that was supposed to be a 68 with a natural body. Before I deal for it they did not offer natural as an option until 71 or 72 correct?

20. huntster

huntster Tele-Meister

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Not sure what year Fender started making teles with a clear finish. This guy claims his 69 was originally a clear finish. I thought maybe it started with the thinlines in the early 70's. Maybe some custom special orders were done in 69. Just not sure.

All I know is that I have never seen those white rubber O rings under the strap buttons until I saw a Made in Korea re-issue tele from 1994 with clear finish just like his pictured in this thread. To me it looks exactly like a 1994-5 MIK clear-finish poly re-issue tele body with maybe a 69 neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.