Dickies BBQ

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 26, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I have never been to Dickies but I am curious....is it the same menu everywhere?

BBQ or barbecue means something completely different to each unique region of the US and world.

Even here in NC, there are regional territories where the cooking process, seasoning, and even meat is different.

I used to work at a famous barbecue restaurant where celebrities from all over would visit. I took care of Alice Cooper and his crew. Even I was convinced this place and their meat was special.
    A coworker told me “you know, you can make something just as good or better in your crockpot at home.” Now, that’s exactly what I do!

Fretting out likes this.
  2. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Bummer.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

just think.. in the durango, you'll be on the interstate! well, at least until the wrecker gets there to tow it to the shop.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep, always crowded and thriving, yet, in addition to all the other things no one on the internet does, we have to add "won't eat at Taco Bell or McDonalds"...the list is growing.

5. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How is it that in a discussion of BBQ - the Name Franklin's BBQ (Austin, TX) doesn't even get a mention or a nod. The Original Salt Lick (Dripping Springs, TX) has got to be better than the one at DFW. But no mention? It's Five Star Rated by people who get paid to judge food. The Salt Lick was once written up in National Geographic magazine. If you go there - pick up your Shiner Bock on the way as Dripping Springs is "Dry".

I even like the BBQ sandwiches you can pick up from Buckee's. If you have eight minutes you can take a tour of a Buckee's. Here
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...8a39857264cb1637eccf88a60178ceaf&action=click

I echo the praise placed on any Rudy's BBQ. Waco, Texas or Frisco, TX or any Rudy's - you won't be disappointed.

Lost_N_Austin

Fiesta Red and Treehouse like this.
  6. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Last time I went there the smell of the taco sauce lingered when I got home (and it wasn't good). I had to change clothes, take a shower, brush my teeth and use mouthwash. Then I threw the clothes into the washer.

Mick likes this.
  7. chet again

But then again you can't really travel anywhere safely anyway...

291 new cases in Omaha, Ne.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Man, I want @Lost_N_Austin to show me around.

is this BBQ the burnt end brisket I have heard of? Pork too?

9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

We had a place here years ago called Maxamillions. It was some of the best BBQ I have eaten. A couple of guys from the Hill Country that worked at the refinery. Brisket, chicken, pork ribs, pulled pork were all fantastic. Great sides of BBQ beans, red beans, tater salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, & BEP salad. Yummy
    For some reason their hours became erratic and their clientele stopped coming. They had no phone to call and see if they were open. It became too much of a PITA to drive there to see if they were open
    There are 3-4 places here that have good to great BBQ and many more that just plain suck

I can do really good BBQ at home. My brisket, ribs, & pulled pork are worth staying home for. Sometimes it’s just easier to let someone do the cooking plus there’s less clean up

Wallaby likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

LOL!

I have a stack of those here too. They're my travel and shop cups.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

What? No love for Bill Miller's BBQ?

hmmm.... no, none here either.

The Rudy's in Del Rio TX is really not too bad.

12. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Waaaaaay over priced.

13. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is so true - not that I've tasted your 'cue but that it's very doable on your own and with excellent results.

14. christophervolu

christophervolu TDPRI Member

Cavuto and dickies.

It doesn’t get more boomer...

15. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

20 minutes for embers to come, I don't call it that slow.

The whole process last an hour.

christophervolu likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Taco Bell makes Del Taco seem like a 3 star Michelin restaurant...

getbent, drlucky and christophervolu like this.
  17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Didn't effect me much as I was living in S Lake Tahoe at the time. But when wasn't Vallejo bad? Seems to have gotten better these days, lots of businesses have moved in and they built luxury homes out there in the back lots. I recon they'll develop a lot of it provided the city counsel gets their act together. Prime real estate with the housing market the way it is in the bay area.

18. chet again

It was a normal Cali town with workers from the military base when I worked there. The main deal was the SeaWorld park on the east side of town.

I read a story on the net about 10 years ago that the town was overrun with ladies of the night on main street every night since the base closed.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that is just your memory and age at the time not seeing the full thing... Vallejo, Crockett, Hercules have always been tough, blue collar towns. My brother had a really cool house in Hercules and they were working to 'bring it up' and I loved the actual area (umm except for the pollution and funk) anyway, Vallejo has gang trouble, but it hasn't really 'changed'... and what gets publicized in the news is often news to the people in the actual neighborhood.

20. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Certain parts for sure are S#!t holes but that can be said about anywhere. Anything east of I-80 besides the southern end Beverly Hills area are pretty nice for the most part. Hookers? Sure but not near as many as when the shipyard was running. My dad retired from there and the stories he can tell. As to gangs? Stay out of my neighbor hood and I'll stay out of yours. This way no one gets shot today.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.