1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Diaz Texas Ranger Schematic

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rama Satria, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Here's another Diaz Texas Ranger clone called "The Undertaker" by Homestead Amps. Peter McMahon founder of Homestead Amps - former colleague / pedal builder of the Cesar Diaz company. Peter was building and working along side Cesar Diaz before he sadly passed away, lots of legendary Diaz pedals seen on the used market in fact bear McMahon's signature. When Cesar passed away, Peter continued building Diaz pedals until somehow Diaz pedals were later on discontinued. Peter founded Homestead Amps and build Diaz pedals under the Homestead brand (The Preacher --> Diaz Texas Square Face. The Undertaker --> Diaz Texas Ranger)
    images (6).jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

The only issue with the Diaz Texas Ranger and most treble booster units especially the original Dallas Rangemaster, they're noisy and they can get finicky. I'm looking for a mod on how to reduce the noise in a way the same like how a "normal noise" of an OD pedal acts, but without eliminating the edge/charm of the unit. Or maybe that's just the nature of the unit? Is there a solution for this matter? Anybody?

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

When you end up making alterations to reduce noise with such a simple circuit, IMO you don't really have something Rangemaster'ish any more.

The only two ways that might add a minor reduction in noise would be to use metal film resistors (assumes you haven't already), and maybe try a higher hFE transistor or two.

You might also try adding a little series resistance between +9VDC in and the PCB (maybe 47 to 100 ohms), but the noise reduction will probably be minor.

Rama Satria likes this.
  4. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

This is the very first Diaz Texas Ranger clone called the "Texan Twang" by Pedal Pawn. A company that has no ties with the Diaz company. Pedal Pawn is owned by UK's great Blues guitarist Chris King Robinson. twpp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    4pickupguy likes this.
  5. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Would a higher hFE actually increase the noise since a higher hFE literally means a higher gain?

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

No, it's counterintuitive, but the higher gain means you've typically got a better signal to noise ratio.

Probably the more important thing is finding the right hFE that still gets pleasing clipping characteristics out of the transistor itself. I'd venture a guess that when used with a smaller input cap (or the original Rangemaster value) that the useful range of hFE will probably be greater.

It might also be worth experimenting with putting a small cap across the B & C with the higher hFE transistors, to soften the high end a bit.

Rama Satria likes this.
  7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/rangemaster/atboost.pdf
    Here is a several page guide from geofex that you can print out. It shows how to build one on terminal strip. I learned a lot from this guide about how the circuit works.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rangemasters/
    Small Bear has germs for sale that have been tested specifically for use in rangemaster clones.

I don’t about noise, I haven’t ever used a RM I would consider noisy. I usually crank them up played through a cranked pro jr. If you’re having noise issues try putting last in the chain. The og units were designed to sit on your amp/cab with the output hard wired to a short 1/4” ts cable.

This is one of my favorite circuits. If I could only have one pedal this would be it. My favorite for playing leads through a cranked amp when you want to hear yourself over other guitars.

Rama Satria likes this.
  8. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

I just did a little testing which turned out interesting. I tried using a lower hFE (BC547 hFE 220) and I do noticed the noise decrease much better but I lose a bit of the attack where it's not as "edgy" sounding like when I use the higher gain/hFE transistor (BC547 hFE 250). From the hFE numbers gain wise they're not far of a difference, just a difference hFE of only 30, but they act very different. I went back preferring the higher gain transistor.

I also did a little biasing too. The stock bias resistor of a Diaz Texas Ranger unit is a 4K7 resistor. The original Dallas Rangemaster is a 3K9 resistor. I use a 4K7 bias resistor which the bias voltage at the collector gives me over 8V. I read the ideal bias voltage is 7V. I end up using a 2K2 resistor which gives me a perfect 7V.

Here's a video. I use the MID setting. The level set at 10 o'clock. I usually use the HI setting when playing with humbuckers. The amp I use is a 1993 Hughes & Kettner Attax 80:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Iago, Doctorx33 and jsnwhite619 like this.
  9. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

I have NTE153
    Which sound pretty clear in another unit I built.
    Will they sound ok?
    They seem to allow slot of twang through.... I likey the twangy

Rama Satria likes this.
  10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i could not get a good idea of your sound before using the pedal?
    is it already in overdrive ore clean?

Rama Satria likes this.
  11. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Try post a video or try built one, see if they sound good or not. Make sure the transistor is below 260

12. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

It's just slightly breaking up there..

13. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

thanks!

Rama Satria likes this.
  14. Joshua James

Joshua James NEW MEMBER!

Hi everybody, just want to ask is this layout verified? I am having some problems getting it to work.

Rama Satria likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I recently purchased a Pedal Pawn Fuzz and this thread has me thinking it would have been pretty easy to build....

Rama Satria likes this.
  16. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Plenty of builders used this layout with no problems. Try check the orientation of your transistor. I'm at Instagram a lot please send a DM for questions :)

17. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

I been trying to find a schematic of the Diaz Texas Ranger for many years with no success. I thought it was strange because the Diaz Texas Square Face schematic is at the web for public since 1998 but not the Diaz Texas Ranger. So what I did was I traced many pictures of the guts/PCB of Diaz Texas Ranger pedals + I traced my Pedal Pawn Texan Twang pedal and they are both identical except the type of transistor used. The two 100K resistors at the Diaz Texas Ranger many were gooped/insulated and soldered under the PCB. Lucky I have kind friends who are Diaz Texas Ranger owners and gave me information about the values of the two gooped/insulated resistors. I double cross checked with my Pedal Pawn Texan Twang pedal and it has the two secret 100K's too :)

Again, since 1998 the Diaz Texas Square Face schematic is available on the web but not the Diaz Texas Ranger. I just found that very strange. Why is it people only can enjoy ONLY ONE masterpiece by Cesar and NOT BOTH??? Why is it such a secret but NOT the Diaz Texas Square Face??? I'm happy to be the first person to post the Diaz Texas Ranger schematic/layout on the web for public. No more secrets. Everybody now can enjoy BOTH Cesar's masterpiece :)

Doctorx33 and 4pickupguy like this.
  18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for this .the TR is a killer treble booster and very raunchy.
    I sold mine for a 100% profit a few years ago since I have Several Excellent TBs. Now I want to build this one.

19. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Here's another video. Pedal at the MID position. The amp I use is a 1993 Hughes & Kettner Attax 80

20. Rama Satria

Rama Satria TDPRI Member

Here's another Diaz Texas Ranger clone called the "Lone Star Stranger" by R Weaver FX.

r-weaver-fx-3195641.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    JanOak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.