Diamond/Mooer Comp question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Nov 13, 2019.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I got the Mooer Yellow Comp a few months back and was really digging it. I made some significant improvements to my amp with tubes and speaker and I now have the best tone I've had in years. Now when I step on the Mooer, it seems to add an obvious "processed" or "hi-fi" quality...a bit unnatural. I'm assuming what it's doing there sounded great smoothing out the rough edges of my amp pre-upgrades. Does that make sense? Now it just sounds better without it.

Anyway. I guess my question is...do any users of these comps experience anything similar? Also...would the actual Diamond pedal vs. the Mooer make the difference? Thanks.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

They're both optical comps. It's almost certain that the Diamond has better quality components but the basic circuit is very similar. Optical compressors will tend to smooth things out and this might be too much for your improved rig.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I own both. The main difference seems to be that the Diamond is quieter. I suspect you would hear the same type of alteration to your tone that you are currently experiencing. IOW, if the Mooer is not doing it for you, save your coin because the Diamond is going to be a higher quality version of the same. YMMV and all that.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys. I may just stop using it all together for now. It was the strangest thing. Really noticed it last night. Hard to describe what I'm hearing. Over-processed is the only way I can describe it...maybe a weird EQ thing...IDK.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.