Dial a pickup!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Guitarteach, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

No P90s and Full Size HBs kind of limiting though.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting concept.
    I would think that something like that would have some problems after awhile with frequent moving of the contacts. I think that the electrical contacts could wear quickly with that much changing of pickups.
    Then after figuring out which pickups you like and which ones you don't like, is there really a need for such a system? Especially if your choices are limited to only Strat type/sized pickups.
    Makes a great tester for people wanting to know what this type of pickup or that type of pickup will sound like.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

One thing that this really misses out on is the middle position pickup for quack that at least 50% of Strat type guys love.

They could make a guitar for Strat/Jag/Mustang-Duosonic pickups, 1 for Tele pickups, 1 for P90's/Mini's/Firebirds/JM pickups and 1 for Regular HB's/Gretsch/Ric's and have them at guitar shops so customers could play them and see what they may be interested in.

Maybe they could make a guitar with 4 different scale length bridge to neck assemblies that rotate from one to another.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Gadget.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

From a visual and practical point, I think the whole plug and play connector type thing, kwickplug, GFS Pickups have going is better.

Teleterr likes this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

This week's solution to a non existent problem. 25 combos w Two p-ups that have 3 taps, much better if you think you need crazy options.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

yeah, I'd suggest that contraption in an average player would reveal him to be average... and that contraption in the hands of an exceptional player would make zero difference...

rk

Ricky D., Pualee, BB and 1 other person like this.
  8. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know that having multiple guitars was a problem.

CFFF and Teleterr like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can a P rails fit?

10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Considering the fact that all three pickups in each position are in the same position along the length of the string, and have the same "dimensions, all that really sets these pickups apart is electrical. The lipstick tube has a low inductance and a low Q factor, the Strat pickup has a slightly higher inductance and a high Q factor, and the humbucker has a high inductance and an so-so Q factor. The only physical difference is that maybe the Strat pickup has a stronger magnetic pull than the other two pickups, but I've always thought it wouldn't be too hard to create a mechanical means of changing the magnetic strength, even if that just meant a quicker way of raising and lowering the pickups.

I was disappointed with the Fishman Fluence, because they create an artificial response curve with circuitry, and they could have boasted this variety with a single active pickup, but they chose to do something like a simple split option. There is still a lot of tone shaping that can be done with passive pickups, by using pickups that start out with a stronger voltage and a broad frequency response, such as Filter'trons or Microcoils, and then shape the response with varied resistance and capacitance, but most guitar players just want a vanilla Strat or a vanilla PAF set that sounds good with a simple tone control and volume, always set at 10. A lot of these ideas and products are based on the idea that people want choices, but they market is always saying otherwise.

Bruxist likes this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fo Get about it,,, That's why I bought 50 guitars;):)

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

preactor and Guitarteach like this.
  13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I have my own solution to this problem that I've been developing for years and I think you guys are just the crowd to get behind it...
    ya see... what you do is... you buy a shyte-ton of guitars with dif pickups.
    Working on the patent now.

drf64 likes this.
  14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

toyz for li'l boyz :eek::lol::cool:

15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

I went crazy rewiring an SG about 30 years ago. Master volume, master tone, two pots left over. Center tapped both humbuckers to split the coils and ran the taps to the extra pots. Added a phase switch. Really nifty in the bedroom, a zillion different sounds. Total disaster in a group situation, never could find the sound I wanted.

Give me two pickups and standard wiring every time. If you can't do it with that, you can't do it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    preactor and CFFF like this.
  16. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

amen to that, my brutha of the six string.

Ricky D. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.