1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

diagonal vs in line speaker placement

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by gotzz, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gotzz

gotzz TDPRI Member

so I'm finishng my 2x10 cab, need to do the baffle board yet. I could place the speakers in line if I cut the frame a bit which holds the baffle, OR I could just place them diagonally. what would you recommend, what's the difference in sound at all, should I pay attention on something when placing them diagonally...? or is this just an unimportant and stupid question? :lol:
    many thanks!

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I had heard diagonal is better since there is less phasing/cancellation - but that seems weird to me since speakers are round and radiate outward anyway.

I'd figure distance between the two speakers is more important than where they are, horizontal or diagonal.

IDK, maybe it doesn't matter :)

3. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

I would guess that phase cancellation still occurs, just in an angled plane containing the central axis of both speakers. Unless you're going to be putting your head really close to the amp (don't), I doubt the cancellation will really be an issue as long as you wire them up in phase.

4. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Lift one end (left or right) to tilt your amp 45 degrees. Does it sound different?
    What MIGHT make a difference is how much wood is between the speakers. If they are too close together I could see the the baffle flexing much more because it is weaker.
    I could see a less-ridgid baffle sounding different.. but personally I doubt I could tell the difference.

5. gotzz

gotzz TDPRI Member

not quite, because then you should make your sides vertical and your up and down horizontal :lol: it's a matter of reflection I believe
    but as you said, it's hard to tell a difference between the two.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tweed twins were diagonal. Nuff said.

7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I doubt it makes any difference at all, as long as there's room for everything and nothing touches the tubes or transformers. Just depends on the proportions of the cabinet. A horizontal 2x10 cabinet can look kind of "low and wide", an extreme example would be the 2x10 Music Man amps, which are not pleasing to look at in my opinion. If the diagonal placement will allow for a cabinet with more of a "golden ratio" proportion, then go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.