DI for DRRI

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Bradcaster, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Bradcaster

Bradcaster TDPRI Member

Lurker here, first post.

Look, I'm not really much of a guitar player. But I've been doing rhythm work for a praise band with the neck pickup on my MIM Tele and a DRRI I originally bought for lap steel. As of a few weeks ago I was all the music they had. But now a few more musicians are coming together and we're getting the PA sorted and working correctly again. Although the DRRI is probably plenty loud enough to part everybody's hair, I agree it needs to go into the house mix with everything else, for monitors at the very least.

I like my amp and it's tones and want to keep using it. Rather than mic'ing it I thought maybe a Red Box would be a good or good enough solution. I know it goes between the amp and the speaker. My question is whether I could just connect it to Ext. Speaker as a simpler solution? Is that going to mess with the load/impedance of the internal speaker? I'm not married to this approach and doing it the "proper" way is fine, I'm just curious. I know there seems to be a lot of confusion or ignorance about the proper (and rather limited) usage of Ext. Speaker on these amps.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you "like my amp and it's tones..." Then mic'ing it is your best bet. A line out will give you a more sterile flat signal. I'm not familiar with a Red Box though.

an Ext Speaker is fine with a DR, but it can change the tone a bit, depending on how hard you are having to push the amp.

3. Bradcaster

Bradcaster TDPRI Member

Thanks.

For those not familiar (and I wasn't until yesterday), this is the Red Box 5. It's been around in some incarnation for a long time I gather:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nd-kettner-red-box-5-di-and-speaker-simulator

It's meant to provide a DI solution for valve amps, and supposedly provides pretty good speaker simulation instead of just sterile line out. Behringer has a cheaper model of basically the same thing. I can do a mic, but placing it is an art form, and then it's in the way, somebody kicks it, it starts picking up bass and drums, feedback, etc, etc. Simple here is good, if it's good enough.

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

As long as you keep the stock speaker plugged in, you can indeed use the Ext. Speaker output without any problems at all. Just make sure you use a speaker cable, and not an instrument cable.

Also consider a basic Palmer DI. I've seen the H&K DI for years, but I've never used one. I use a Palmer DI with a Blues Jr., between the amp output and the speaker... and soundmen love me for it. And it sounds really, really good.

If I have a soundman whom I trust, and he is willing to do it... I'll use a SM57 and the Palmer DI at the same time, and allow him to mix them. Things start sounding huge at that point Not louder.. just bigger.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Used both and like both but the Palmer sounds just as good and doesn't need power. Not a huge deal, but one less thing to worry about. It is a great solution for what you need, and you can use the extension out as long as your main is not turned off when the extension is plugged in. You must have a speaker connected either through the device "thru" or plugged in as normal if you are using the extension jack for the device. Go used, great value- good luck!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. Bradcaster

Bradcaster TDPRI Member

Oh right, I think I've seen or heard mention of the Palmer somewhere too. Is that the PDI-09? Although I'll have conditioned power handy, that passive bit is appealing. Either way I'll take care about the "speaker cable" part. Thanks!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Mic it.

8trackmind and brbadg like this.
  8. Bradcaster

Bradcaster TDPRI Member

Just a followup, I've now been able to try both the Palmer and the Red Box. The Palmer may technically be more expensive, but I found good deals on both, and they are commonly available used. I haven't used them live yet but tested them out with a little mixer board I had.

The instructions for both units pretty much state that they can be used in the way I was asking, connected to Ext. Spkr (with no pass thru) on my DRRI, doesn't affect the impedance/load on the internal speaker, no drop in volume or power.

Both boxes sound pretty good to me. Although the adjustment settings differ somewhat they both get pretty much the same range of tonal coloration. The end result sounds like my guitar, but not exactly like my combo (I expected this), but still pretty much sounds like a good cab. The Red Box maybe sounds a bit more compressed, and I would give the edge to the Palmer in tone quality. I also think Palmer wins just because it achieves the same thing with passive circuitry. But the Red Box isn't bad either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.