DHGate advertising on TDPRI

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I haven't seen a Rick copy over here since the very early 80s, they got stomped on and never re-emerged. All sorts of guitars back then had Fender and Gibson on the headstock, but you could tell they were fakes from the top deck of a passing number 20 bus.
the ricky's were very good copies , but were machined on the inside and the bridge string throughs were round not oval , the body cavities on the real ricky's were drilled out not machined , I verified this with my own , the article by Rickenbacker also stated the copies were very good and almost deceptive , you are correct but this was from the law suit era of Ibanez but a great read none the less, obviously prompted a responce from Rickenbacker.

I think its important to know the differences and to be able to recognize a fake , it upsets me to think of some kid who cuts lawns all summer to get his first guitar only to find out he got burnt badly paying top dollar for a placebo of sorts. Also its hard to tell by a photo if a guitar is fake , I took mine into L&M it took then about 20 minutes before one astute person noticed it did not have a gibson ABR1 bridge but an epiphone style bridge.

I wont buy a brand name guitar with out holding it , feeling it , and inspecting it .

beagle

Poster Extraordinaire
the ricky's were very good copies , but were machined on the inside and the bridge string throughs were round not oval , the body cavities on the real ricky's were drilled out not machined , I verified this with my own , the article by Rickenbacker also stated the copies were very good and almost deceptive , you are correct but this was from the law suit era of Ibanez but a great read none the less, obviously prompted a responce from Rickenbacker.

I think its important to know the differences and to be able to recognize a fake , it upsets me to think of some kid who cuts lawns all summer to get his first guitar only to find out he got burnt badly paying top dollar for a placebo of sorts. Also its hard to tell by a photo if a guitar is fake , I took mine into L&M it took then about 20 minutes before one astute person noticed it did not have a gibson ABR1 bridge but an epiphone style bridge.

I wont buy a brand name guitar with out holding it , feeling it , and inspecting it .

There's nothing worse than having to tell an excited new owner that their new Fender is a Chinese fake, but we see it most weeks on the forums.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
There's nothing worse than having to tell an excited new owner that their new Fender is a Chinese fake, but we see it most weeks on the forums.
And this is why I object to putting a Fender decal on a home-assembled partscaster. Even if YOU don't intend anything fraudulent, a future owner might. ;)

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
The term "Chibson" makes these things have more appeal.

They're Epiphone knock offs with Gibson on the headstock. Cheap woods and veneer clad, cheap finish, bottom dollar parts, bottom dollar everything but they look fancy. In the pics sometimes they use the real guitar but many times it's stock photos of the originals.

People love their Epis, Agiles, etc so they get one of those at a slightly reduced rate then comes the hyperbole.

There are MUCH better cheap guitars out there than relying on some no-warranty BS-artist trying to paint something with a counterfeit logo.

The Loar, Vintage, Tanglewood and others are at the very least legit, far more consistent and cheap to boot.

1300 E Valencia

Friend of Leo's
...My advise (sic) here if it means anything to any one "NEVER BUY ANY GUITAR WITHOUT HOLDING IT, OR PLAYING IT, AND NEVER ONLINE WITHOUT RESEARCHING IT TO THE "NTH" DEGREE"
No, the real advice is if it sounds too good to be true, IOW, a Les Paul for a hundred bucks, it probably is too good to be true...
It's good thing us Americans is too smart for this, otherwise we wouldn't be at the pinochle of success we is at today.:lol::lol::lol:

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
No, the real advice is if it sounds too good to be true, IOW, a Les Paul for a hundred bucks, it probably is too good to be true...
It's good thing us Americans is too smart for this, otherwise we wouldn't be at the pinochle of success we is at today.:lol::lol::lol:
My norland era 73 SG was $ 100.00 cdn and it is legit! and all original parts!, LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
I was in a little-bit-of-everything type shop a few years ago and the guy, who didn’t know anything about the guitars that he was selling, had a “Gibson“ three pickup Les Paul Custom for about the same price as a MIM Telecaster, brand new.

It looked pretty good, cosmetically, but he got to sort of hemming and hawing when I asked how it was that he could sell them at that price, and then outright uncomfortable when I started going over it and asking some pointed questions.

I passed on the guitar. He went out of business a few months later.