DFW gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dr Anatta, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Dr Anatta

Dr Anatta Tele-Meister

Recently returned to my hometown of DFW after fifteen years in another state. When I moved away in 2001, Friday and Saturday nights at a club were standard. A one-nighter was unheard of, no one would even bother with them, unless they were high paying, and typically were private parties/functions/events. That was my experience for over a decade of playing clubs in N. Texas. Now I've been back for a few months and have found a working band, but they (and others too) are telling me that two nights at a club are not as common, actually becoming hard to find. Has anyone else in DFW found this to be the case in the last decade or so, or is this recent?

Also, this applies to country bands, as I haven't played other types of music in DFW since the late eighties/early nineties. And it excludes, of course, places such as Southern Junction, Billy Bob's, etc. where they book for three or more nights.

2. filmtex

filmtex TDPRI Member

Same situation down south around San Antonio-AFAIK. Live music is really taking a hit-some blame Netflix, Hulu, video games and the interwebtubs.

3. Dr Anatta

Dr Anatta Tele-Meister

Well dang, that's a shame. I really thought people who went out for dancing would keep it alive. Where I moved to (Ga) no one dances, aside from the drunken suggestive nonsense, people just go to drink. But people gave up clubs to drink at home when the recession kicked in. Cheaper prices, and no DUI's. But here in this part of Texas, I assume it's the same most places here in the Lone Star State, people go out to dance, really dance. As I'm sure you know. and it was very common to see a dance floor packed with dancers. I thought that would keep people in the clubs.

I suppose people are just buying houses with bigger living rooms...

4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. These days a house costs an arm and a leg....
    You need that leg to dance.

5. Dr Anatta

Dr Anatta Tele-Meister

You get a bigger living room, but then you can't dance. What a quandary!

6. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Most of the dance clubs I know of around here are all serviced by DJs, but I'm not familiar with the more country style clubs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.