Dexys Midnight Runners - more than a one hit wonder

Restless Native

TDPRI Member
Re: the Big Country comment, it never ceases to amaze how bands barely breaking the US market makes them one hit wonders when they (BC in this case, or any thing Paul Weller has done for instance) were massive everywhere else. Men Without Hats were OHWs I believe though, thankfully. I was an avid Mod at the time Searching… came out and loved it/them, slightly underwhelmed by what followed but still good. Never understood why The Cure, The Clash, Simple Minds, U2 et al (love em all) were massive in the States but many better bands weren’t. Or why folk like Steve Earle, Jason Isbell, John Mayer, Gary Clarke Jnr, etc., aren’t bigger in the Uk (ok, we’re guitar nuts here so we know them well but few other folk here are aware). If anyone is aware of Steve Earle’s comments Dylan vs Townes Van Zant songwriting, in the same vein I’d put Stuart Adamson’s or Paul Weller’s songwriting up against anyone with no shame, never mind their considerable guitar skills.

JAB62

TDPRI Member
I'm a yank who was living in England when Dexys came out. It was a big tune and they did try playing more of them on Top of the Pops but they didn't seem to catch on past Come on Eileen. Just like Katrina and the Waves. Bought my 2203 stack at the factory in Bletchley back then, 1982. Saw Queen live at the Milton Keynes bowl in June 82. Thanks for regurgitating the memories.

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
Kevin had his demons and Dexys did almost nothing for decades but then returned with an album called One Day I’m Going to Soar - this included songs like this one which is strange but (I think) wonderful and utterly unlike anybody else:

I think Rowland seems to run hot or cold here partly because his sensibility is very theatrical, very broadway. This is basically a number from a musical and you dig that or you don’t.

GratefulDean

TDPRI Member
Thanks for this, over the last few years I have found myself doing deep dives. I never considered these guys. I remember when this song came out. I was 11 or 12 and loved this song but didn't have an album so didn't hear anything else. Streaming has not been a boon for musicians other than now I can dial in an entire catalogue and loose myself for days. I just played the video of the remix. It does sound fuller.

Also, we all look so old...

edit: but I do hope they keep the old versions and don't consider these songs as released in 2022. I find that annoying when a group remixes an old album, pulls the original, then says it was released not. It messes up my journey through an artists catalogue.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
I hear Come on Eileen and get stuck on how Dexys Midnight Runners sounds like Electric Light Orchestra, but without the boxy, small room recorded vocal tone.

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
Thanks for this, over the last few years I have found myself doing deep dives. I never considered these guys. I remember when this song came out. I was 11 or 12 and loved this song but didn't have an album so didn't hear anything else. Streaming has not been a boon for musicians other than now I can dial in an entire catalogue and loose myself for days. I just played the video of the remix. It does sound fuller.

Also, we all look so old...

edit: but I do hope they keep the old versions and don't consider these songs as released in 2022. I find that annoying when a group remixes an old album, pulls the original, then says it was released not. It messes up my journey through an artists catalogue.
As far as I know the old mix is still available. The new mix is part of a 3-Disc set which includes a disc of B-Sides and a whole live performance from 1982. I prefer the new one but I’m glad the original is still there.

Jazzmaster72

TDPRI Member
Little anecdote about Dexy's and me. When I was a young teen 11-12, I started out collecting records. I had seen Dexy's on television and went on a record buying spree in the big city (travel 50 Kilometers from the flat country to the city of Frankfurt).

I had dozents of LP`s I wanted to buy (Bowie, Joe Jackson, Led Zeppelin) and not enough money, so ended up picking not the LP with the mega hit Eileen (which had only started his back then), but the cheaper older soul album with the Geno material.

I think I was the only kid back at this time, that wished they had stayed with the soul style and really hating the new outfits and style of the Eileen era Dexy's.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
When I was a kid freshly into rock, I wanted to be EVH. I wanted to be a rock star! In my thirties I revised it. Now I wanna be a one hit wonder. You can still walk the streets normally…depending.