Dexys Midnight Runners - more than a one hit wonder

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
Kind of an odd band to post about in a guitar forum because they largely eschewed guitars in their heyday, but I've been listening to their catalog a lot recently. First off, Come On Eileen is an all timer pop song and deserves its play. But the band has a ton of other really great songs. There's a rerelease of Too Rye Ay that's out now that's been remixed by Kevin Rowland (the lead singer/main songwriter) and the guy that mixes his current material and it really reinvigorates the album. Just smartly written, huge sounding pop. Highlights for me are Old and Liars A to E.

If you haven't dug into these guys before, don't write them off. The songs are seriously good and the performances are incredibly on point. Rowland's new material isn't half bad either.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Hell yeah! I went years and years thinking they were the quintessential one hit wonder (albeit a fantastic hit) and had no idea they had a more interesting discography as well as many other hits in their native land. I 'discovered' "Searching for the Young Soul Rebels" when the 30th anniversary edition was released -- better late than never!

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
They had some great influence in an early 80s soul revival.
It's just Rowlands voice......he has this odd howling and vibrato going on, I can't stand him longer than three, four songs in.

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
In the Come On Eileen video, as the video goes on there are less people in it. The singer was firing band members as the shoot went on.
Dang a singer with a theatrical style and temperament also had an ego. Learn something new every day!

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
They had some great influence in an early 80s soul revival.
It's just Rowlands voice......he has this odd howling and vibrato going on, I can't stand him longer than three, four songs in.
He can be a bit much, but there's definitely some smart writing and arranging that elevates their stuff imo

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
3000.jpg

cartier

Tele-Meister
One of the more underrated bands. "Waiting for Columbus," is one of the best live recordings of it's day. Last month, I saw the latest iteration of the band and they still rock their hits. When a member of the "Mothers of Invention," Frank Zappa heard Lowell George play, Willin, he told George, go start your own band and he did! For an LA based band, they sure knew how to write and sing about the South!

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
Just because a band has lots of records and good songs doesn't mean they are not a one-hit wonder. We can talk about Big Country some time.
Yes and no. There are bands where the one hit was what they had in the tank. Then there are others that have rich libraries of great material. It's okay to have a distinction imo. Dexy's had the one big hit... but there's more. Lots of acts of both stripes.