Dewalt DW735 13" Planer

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by jkingma, Aug 27, 2019.

1. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

They are decent. Look at the grizzly line, much better value.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I don't think Grizzly is available in Canada. At least I've never seen it anywhere. Most of their "bigger stuff" won't ship here if I try and order online.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I find I more often just use one of these, or equivalent. Harbor Freight like the Stanley #4 or #5 model I spent $15 on several years back. I have the Dewalt but the hand plane is fast. A whole Tele body does not fit in the Dewalt 13inch if you are thinking about that...

[​IMG]

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

We are talking the 735 here which is 13 wide. A tele body is about 12.75" wide... you just can't put it in sideways...LOL.

tele.png

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    jkingma likes this.
  5. jkingma

Admin Post
    Despite being an avid woodworker for almost 45 years, I've never been able to get decent results with a hand plane.

And any guitar I build will fit in a 13" planer. I don't generally build to spec. :D

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    Even if it was 13" (or more) I would make it less just to fit. I don't get hung up on exact specs.

LeftFinger and RogerC like this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

While we're still on the topic, if another used home-shop planer comes up, don't hesitate. I have the Delta. I do not consider the disposable blades to be a disadvantage. You can easily flip them around to reveal a fresh edge so each set lasts longer. The time, cots, and fiddling with resharpenable blades is not worth it IMHO. These replaceable blades in the Dewalt, Delta, etc., index on the pins so there's no adjustment necessary when replacing them.

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    A 13" Ryobi has popped up. Anyone familiar with them?

9. guitarbuilder

My father in law had the Ryobi 10 inch one. They were the first small lunchbox planers on the market. Despite the snipe issue, he still uses it. It's probably 25 years or more old by now.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wacky. I looks like it uses carbide lathe tool inserts. If so, those are a commodity item that are bought on low price when you need replacements.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

............................Ryobi is ok for mid to low-end tools. I avoid them.

I have the Dewalt DW735.. Had it for years, used it a lot.
    I almost always shop for replacement parts/blades before I need them and get good deals quite often.
    As noted in the product details, you get two edges because they are reversible.

I use a RubberMaid garbage can for the chips. The internal blower/fan is amazing. I would never get a portable unit that didn't have an internal blower... I'm not going to hook it up to my dust system... it makes beautiful chips for reuse.

The stand is quite nice, I installed a long bolt for easier operation of the wheels/legs.

The removable top and included tool makes internal work a breeze.

Someone mentioned the low profile... I find that a plus.
    13" is better than 12" ..The infeed and outfeed table are adjustable

I find it feeds well.. but have not used it in freezing weather... I haven't found the feed rollers to be a problem. I would think they are affected more by residue on the wood than a rubber problem.
    I would buy it again.

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a 13" Ryobi (AP1300) since I started building. It's worked well but suffers from the same pitfalls as all lunchbox planers. This is the planer I'm wanting to replace with the Dewalt.

I bought it for $60 because the guide tubes on which the cutter head slides were rusted, so the depth of cut couldn't be adjusted. I took it home, tore it apart and completely cleaned it up.

I think the main problem I've run into is that the blades seem very, very soft. The last 2 sets I've purchased have gotten nicked very easily.

If you can get it cheap enough, it would be a decent workhorse for you, though.

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    He wants $150 for it. I guess I'm not in a real hurry, as I still have one more workbench and a couple tool stands to build. So I think I'll keep looking and hope another Dewalt comes along.

A tool store near me is having a Dewalt sponsored Midnight Madness event next weekend. Maybe if there is a real deal to be had, I'll get a new one.

EDIT - probably not...

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I can only echo what others have said, plus
    • they are loud with a capital L! If you're used to cast iron machines it's a big change. Muffs mandatory.
    • the slower speed is good for figured woods. Not as good as a drum sander, but better than cheaper planers
    • 3 narrow knives, not really feasible for resharpening, pretty much a throw away at $55 a pop. I have the 12 inch little brother with nice wide knives. I can put them on my Makita horizontal wet grinder and get an edge that produces glassy smooth maple.

15. guitarbuilder

In my facebook feed is the 735 planer for $129.14. I'd guess it's a scam where you pay and never receive it.

16. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It's one of the best "bench top" planers available and has been since it was introduced quite a few years ago. Its biggest downside is that it's a "screamer" and louder than most. Really good hearing protection is pretty much required. And yes, you can upgrade the cutter head if you want to spend the money.

17. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This is correct. The Grizzly name isn't available in Canada. Check BusyBee.

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those spiral head cutters are a high-end improvement on larger machines, particularly for figured wood because each little blade comes in at a slicing angle. However it's not in my budget. I think the money would be better spent on a less expensive planer and then save up for a wide drum sander.

LeftFinger likes this.
  19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The owners of Busy Bee and Grizzly are supposedly brothers, whatever that means

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

It probably means they order from the same place in Asia:D

Boubou likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.