Dewalt DW735 13" Planer

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by jkingma, Aug 27, 2019.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Does anyone have one of these? I'm looking for a small planer for the cottage shop and see a used one of these for sale locally at a decent price. I have no experience with benchtop planers. I've only ever used 16" and larger. But this would be perfect for me if it's any good.

Stock photo. 71-bj9tP+6L._SL1500_.jpg

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Have one, love it even though I haven’t used it in a while. One of the best if not the best in its class for not causing snipe

6stringcowboy, KG7IL and jkingma like this.
  3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I don't currently have one, but I've been on the look-out. As Boubou said, they're probably best-in-class for portable planers. Much better design than any of the other lunchbox style.

jkingma likes this.
  4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I have the 13" King Commercial with the Segmented blades I love the performance.
    The 13" Dewalt was my second choice since its cutters can be upgraded

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I have it. The rubber rollers don't like to be cold and you'll end up pushing the wood if they are. Knives don't stay sharp that long but are easily reversible. The replacement knives are pricy though. You still get a bit of snipe but not as horrendous as some lunchbox planers. It does have a slower feed which is nice and the built in blower helps get rid of chips outside if you have a place to blow them. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but would aim for a heavier duty stationary one. I bought a Delta 13 for the basement last winter because of the cold issue. The Delta weighs less for an old man with a messed up back lifting by himself.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  6. jkingma

Admin Post
    I took a serious look at the King just for that reason. But I'm on the lookout for something used and the Dewalt one came along.

LeftFinger likes this.
  7. jkingma

Admin Post
    I've heard this complaint from a few people.

8. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

Great planer

9. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i had one i bought for $50 from a pawn shop. put a new (used) motor in it and ran like a champ.
    i also had one of the 12.5" foley belsaw planers. heavy duty and really easy to work on. ran great also but i sold it because it was only 12.5" and i wanted 13". i also sold the dewalt 735 after i got it running because i didn't really need it. wish i had it back now. but it would have to be a great deal on a used one for me to buy another. they are pricey.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

10. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

I looked at one but ended up buying the Makita 2012 as it is 30 lbs. lighter and way quieter. I schlep mine quite a bit and I ain't getting any younger!

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have one and it is awesome. I have planed an entire house of ceiling t&g, door jam, and window trim from rough cut fir, cedar and pine off our property. Also 2"x12"x16' long pine flooring from rough cut. After all of that, I planed some fine walnut cutting boards as gifts.

A huge benefit is the chip blower. I built my own collector with scraps dumping into my four wheeler box trailer to haul away.

I have a bad back, so it takes another person to help me move it everytime I need it. The blades cannot be resharpened, which to me is the biggest negative, but the replacement blades last a long time and are reasonable in cost.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  12. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I do not own one but have used a friend's on multiple occasions. The performance is nowhere near what a good quality large planer can give you. Having said that, it did the jobs I needed it to do. There is some snipe. By finishing with very shallow cuts, I was able to reduce the snipe considerably, but it never disappeared. I have not tried other benchtop planers and so cannot compare. If one of these came up cheap locally, I would likely buy it, but it is not a tool I MUST have.

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    I have a 16" industrial planer at home, but I'm looking to set up a small shop at my cottage. I don't really need it... but it's available, and priced right.

14. Obsessed

My neighbor has an industrial planer and it does a better job with snipe and much faster. I was able to plane two rough cut softwood 1x4s at the same time, but three was too much. It does have two speeds that dramatically reduce snipe, but much slower. If you do get it, the optional extended tray is very important to reduce snipe.

15. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I've had a similar experience with mine. If it is cold the rollers don't like to grab. The cheaper Dewalt 12" is a better planer in my experience.

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

17. LeftFinger

and for another $500 or so you can upgrade to
    [​IMG] :p

guitarbuilder likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Another nice attribute is the low profile for passing boards over for another pass. Industrial planers are designed this way, but lunchbox planers are a PITA for this. Of course, I'm planing rough cut wood down to the size I need, so sometimes that requires a bunch of passes.

19. LeftFinger

Wait until you are making 1/4 " book matched door panels out of 1" rough :)

20. jkingma

Admin Post
    I spent too much time thinking about it and someone else bought it. So I'm on the lookout for another to come along.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.