desoldering pumps

itsGiusto

Tele-Holic
Last edited:

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
I had one that got clogged up pretty fast, and decided it was a waste of money. I just use the braid, and that has worked well.

mountainhick

Tele-Meister

mountainhick

Tele-Meister
This one's pretty good for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/?tag=tdpri-20

It has a replaceable tip for when the old one gets worn down. I also find it helps to use a spray-on silicone lubricant inside to help it stay clean and un-jammed.

is the silicone tip worth the extra cost?

Also curious, any further tips about cleaning them out? Always seems there could be potential to get more out of the cheap ones with better cleaning technique. The interior of the barrel, spring and seal seem to get roughed up with the solder.

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I am currently using the "blue" Weller, and replace the tips when necessary. The silicone spray is a good idea. I have a couple of plastic tools I got from Radio Shack back in the day that still will do the job.
(I've never had any luck using the braid, I do use it as a ground buss sometimes!)

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a desoldering pump that's also falling apart, well it still works but the plastic thing that pushes the mechanism in place fell completely off, but somehow I can still close it with my thumb directly on the metal. Not as painful as it would seem.

Anyway, besides that nonsense, I recently bought a desoldering iron. So much easier to use than the cold pump and an iron. I wouldn't go back. Can't say how long it will last, but it's a pleasure to use.

sds1

Tele-Afflicted
This one's pretty good for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/?tag=tdpri-20

It has a replaceable tip for when the old one gets worn down. I also find it helps to use a spray-on silicone lubricant inside to help it stay clean and un-jammed.
I got one of these thinking it would be superior to the black/yellow cheapos. It's certainly built way better but jams up all the same. I eventually broke it trying to un-jam it. I don't see where the extra value might be. I did like the replaceable tip but never got to the point of needing replacement.

I didn't try the lubricant, that seems like a pretty smart idea though.

I've been through a lot of desoldering tools. These days I just buy the cheapie spring loaded tools by the dozen. Use them until they get annoying and throw them away.
Yeah, this is my new plan. If it's gonna jam up anyhow, might as well be a cheapie. I am trying to clean them out more frequently as well.

I've seen multiple rave reviews in the Facebook groups about this guy here but I'm not quite there yet myself:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFVFMS9/?tag=tdpri-20

71JjPr4UWqL._SL1500_.jpg

itsGiusto

Tele-Holic
is the silicone tip worth the extra cost?
It's nice to be able to put it right up against the soldering iron without worrying about damaging it. And once the silicone tip gets unusable, I think they include an extra replacement silicone tube. All you do is snip off a new piece the size you want and put it on.

Also curious, any further tips about cleaning them out? Always seems there could be potential to get more out of the cheap ones with better cleaning technique. The interior of the barrel, spring and seal seem to get roughed up with the solder.
No, I'm not the best at keeping any of them clean.

I got one of these thinking it would be superior to the black/yellow cheapos. It's certainly built way better but jams up all the same. I eventually broke it trying to un-jam it. I don't see where the extra value might be. I did like the replaceable tip but never got to the point of needing replacement.

Yeah, it's true, it does jam sometimes, even with the lubricant, though I probably should apply lubricant more than I do. But mine has never gotten so jammed that I broke it or couldn't unjam it.

Edit:
Maybe lithium grease is what I used, not silicone:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CINVA6/?tag=tdpri-20

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, this is my new plan. If it's gonna jam up anyhow, might as well be a cheapie. I am trying to clean them out more frequently as well.

I've seen multiple rave reviews in the Facebook groups about this guy here but I'm not quite there yet myself:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFVFMS9/?tag=tdpri-20

71JjPr4UWqL._SL1500_.jpg

Didn't they use those on Star Trek?

sds1

Tele-Afflicted
But mine has never gotten so jammed that I broke it or couldn't unjam it.
Yeah one day I just couldn't plunge it anymore. Like a thin layer of solder inside the metal part of the tip, I spent a few minutes working on it and regrettably got a little impatient I guess, I was trying to use the metal stick as a tool to clear the clogged metal tip and it slipped and bent and went into my hand too, a pretty bad cut really. So that was that.

In retrospect I should have maybe tried to get a pointy solder tip or wire in there and melted whatever was clogging it.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Pretty sure I bought this second hand in 1990!
Ceramic tip tube for non stick and the strong spring loaded plunger pumps well

315CB63F-8D66-4251-B381-91608D35BFFE.jpeg