DesmoDog's 2020 Brotherhood Build - Jaguar Lite

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DesmoDog, Mar 5, 2020.

1. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I worked on the neck a little more. The fret markers are just sitting there in this picture, but the side markers are in. Decided on the stone over fake MOP obviously.

[​IMG]

I've been putting most of my time into the neck pocket template. The fix for the heel was pretty simple, a little filler and some sanding. But... then I discovered I screwed up and the neck was about 5mm too far forward. And the angle was off a little. Not enough I couldn't have dealt with it, but still. I thought about moving the bridge to compensate, but then I'd also have to tweak other things, so what the heck. The filler came out again and I redid the neck pocket in the correct position. Well, correct as far as I can tell. I thought it was right before too so who knows what tomorrow will bring!

And THEN... when I was routing the pickup cavities, my guide moved. Oops. No big deal, still on the template.

Out came the filler. Again. Dang I like that stuff. I'd mention what it is I'm using but the name has slipped my mind. Durham's? Dunham's? A powder you mix with water. Sets up relatively fast and easy to work with once it's set.

I worked on other details while that set up, then went back and corrected it. I think I've got it now. Template for the neck, controls are done. I also got the outline, bridge, and switch locations set for the pick guard. I planed one side of the body blank but still want to take about 1/8" off of the other side to take it down to 1.75" total. Using the router to plane that thing is a hassle but it works, eventually, and I'm on a mandatory vacation this week so I've got time. I just didn't have it in me to do it this evening. Once I got the p'up route fixed, I was done for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Materials to do a tobacco burst have been ordered so the color is decided. I think pretty much all decisions are made so now it's down to just building the thing.

2blue2, CraigB, mo62987 and 4 others like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Looking good Desmo :)!

I've been storing those bottles of stuff like TruOil, stain, etc., upside down. It definitely slows down evaporation, and eliminates all that crusty crap in the mouth of the bottle.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Looking good. The plan is starting to come together.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Oh she's gonna look good!

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I threw out my tru oil and that fingerboard treatment, they were beyond hope. I really liked the fingerboard stuff but it's just too expensive for how little I'll end up using. They say "A lttle goes a long way!" and then they only sell a $15 bottle that I'll have no hope of ever using up... gotta find an alternative...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I like Formby's low gloss tung oil finish for a lot of things, but I have a StopLoss bag from Lee Valley that I use for it, and it never goes bad because you can always make sure there is no air in there. I've had a can of the oil that I transferred to the bag stay good until I used the last drop, then I put more in the bag :)

dazzaman and crazydave911 like this.
  7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

After days of screwing with a template, I used it for maybe a couple hours of work and can probably throw it away now. I'm not convinced templates are worth it for one offs, even if using one here probably did save me from having to modify some other stuff to make things work.

Anyway, here's the latest.

I made a TON Of sawdust this morning finishing taking the body blank down to 1.75". Holy cow that made a mess. But I have forgotten pretty much everything I ever knew about hand planes so what's a guy gonna do? After cleaning that up, I drilled the bridge and tailstop holes to locate the template and brought it all over to the drill press to start removing material with Forstener(sp?) bits.

Holy cow that made a mess! I had to stop about every other plunge so I could see what the heck I was doing! Probably should have just taped the vacuum hose to the quill of the drill but whatever. Finally got there.

[​IMG]

That's after I clamped down the body and removed the locating pins aka drill bits from the holes. Then out came the router again to route the cavities.

Holy cow that made a mess! I had forgotten just how messy doing this is. I mean, I remember it was a lot of sawdust but this is ridiculous. There is dust EVERYWHERE down there. I think once I'm done with the dirty work I'll do a deep clean before trying to do the finish.

But I powered through and eventually got here.
    [​IMG]

I think I trashed my router bits with all the MDF I was using them on. I also found out I haven't got the "right" roundover bit. I would have gone out and bought a couple new ones but the gov declared a shut down for the next three weeks so I'm not even sure if anywhere is open. I could have ordered them had I known but I'm new this pandemic stuff...

Whatever. It worked, albeit with a few burns here and there and everywhere. Don't mind the flutters in the neck route, all that gets cut off anyway. Oh, I also have to add some wiring channels but didn't want to put them in the template because it would have made doing different depths more of a hassle.
    [​IMG]

And just when I thought I was done with the router today I saw the pick guard template sitting there with it's neck contour roughed out. What the heck, I cleaned that up too.
    [​IMG]

Before routing the cavities I did more research. I mentioned earlier that the bridge is taller than say a Strat or Tele bridge and I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with that yet. I found out the vintage Jags had a neck route that is shallower than modern stuff - 9/16" vs 5/8" (yeah I prefer metric over fractions too but that's how it was done back in the day). I went with 9/16 and no angle. I may still make the bushings for the bridge mount flush to the body too.

As for the roundover, IIRC I read that the vintage Jags used a 7/16" radius and the modern use a 1/2"? I've only built small scale bodies up until now and the largest roundover I have is 3/8". I will probably try order a 1/2" roundover tomorrow, but if it's going to be a hassle I'll probably just go with the 3/8". (I may have these numbers wrong as my notes are downstairs, but they're somewhere around there).

And that's it for today. I'll save cutting the body out until tomorrow and no I will not be routing the outline. I'll cut close to the line and then sand the rest.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    2blue2, E-miel, CraigB and 2 others like this.
  8. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

That is a good day's work there, great to see it taking place on the wood after the time that the templates take. Looking great!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That second part is something to think about. While creating a template or test piece takes time and material (usually scrap or inexpensive material), it does help insure that what you want to do will actually work which is better than having to fix something after the fact. This isn't a guitar thing...it's a woodworking (or there craft) thing. I ran a proof piece to today for a CNC client in an old piece of MDF just to be sure that the "thing" that needed to be inserted into a closely fitting pocket would do so correctly. And it was a good thing I did that because some recesses for little rubber feet on the "thing" were not positioned quite as I had originally measured them. I'd rather screw something up in an old piece of MDF before doing the same to a 25mm/1" really fine piece of walnut! (of which I had no more of in the client's "stash" in my shop)

I really like this build, BTW.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

After a little cutting
    [​IMG]

And then a little sanding
    [​IMG]

I still have some hand sanding to do, giving some TLC to some of the transition areas etc but it's almost there. Still haven't decided if I'm going to go with a 3/8 radius roundover or spring for a 1/2" bit... the home improvement stores are open after all...

And once again I'm amazed by the amount of dust downstairs. As I was coming up the stairs after doing the sanding I heard Ollie announce the arrival of my finishing materials, but it will be a while before they get used. I'd like better weather but I also would like to set up some sort of spray booth/area. That would require moving some bikes back to the garage, which will require a lawn that's not quite so wet/soft.

One thing I did this morning was check the vacuum since it was losing power, like the bag was full. I wondered if I had any new bags, but then remembered I had been through this before and had gone back to a filter set up. Pulled the top off, and...

Oh my
    [​IMG]

Yep. Before I spray anything the guitar building will be paused and a major cleaning will be undertaken.

11. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I finished sanding the body and decided the 3/8" roundover would have to do. Also added the wiring channels - the plan is to be able to pre-wire the pickguard and screw it down without making more connections - the bridge will be grounded to a copper foil that contacts foil on the bottom of the guard. I've had trouble with static on guards before and the foil seems to help?
    [​IMG]

Then the belly cut. I've never done one before and discovered the power tools I was going to use aren't going to work like I thought they would. Typical fix would be to go buy a new sanding disk but the gov says stay home... so I tried some hand tools. Holy cow that's slow. I'll try a couple other things tomorrow when I can make more noise.
    [​IMG]

I thought all my decisions were made but apparently I have too much time on my hands. I spent a lot of time last night trying to find an example of someone using white in a tobacco burst in place of the amber. Couldn't find any. So now my decision is, do I add the white in the form of the pickguard, or spend more money and order some white nitro to go with the burst stuff I already have? Time will tell...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Looking real good now you’ve got the body shape cut out and rounded over.

I noted you mention your Home Depot stores are open. Ours are shut! So if I desperately needed anything, I’m outa luck for as least a month! :(

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I ended up breaking out the air tools and shaping the belly cut with the same stuff I grind metal with. It worked but isn't the trick set up... I may have lost the plot along the way but it's there now and there will be no big changes.
    [​IMG]

After sanding it smooth it was time to add the roundover along the cut area. I added a couple lines showing the general edges of the curves and then put some new paper in the sanding block.There is more sanding to be done with finer grits but this is the rough shape anyway.
    [​IMG]

I'll do the final sanding some other day, I'm sure when I go back to look at it again I'll find something to change up a little more.

After doing this I decided to route the pickup openings in the pick guard template. Like a maroon I went off the drawing instead of looking at an actual pickup and ended up with holes that were too big. So, out came the filler again. I've got a Strat pick guard with humbucker routes, I'll use those as a pattern next time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  14. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

POP QUIZ!

What's going on here?
    [​IMG]

Hmmm... That kinda looks like a piece of mahogany with a ring cut out of it?

When I was taking that picture I was only going for a shot of the mahogany, I didn't realize it had so many other clues in it but it tells pretty much the whole story.

I'm using a tune-o-matic style bridge. The rollers are because that's what I had sitting around, there will be no whammy bar.

Anyway, I drilled a bunch of holes last night testing out drill sizes and things to fit the posts for the bridge and the stop. Everything went fine, right up until I drilled the first hole in the body. Long story short, the hole got messed up and the post wobbled around in there.

Dag nabbit. I pressed on with a few changes in technique and the second post hole went fine. But, how to fix the first one? I thought about filling it with my favorite filler and redrilling, but that seemed kind of tacky. I could have epoxied the post in, but that didn't seem right. None of the quick fixes gave me a warm fuzzy feeling so I put it away for the night and got back at it after work(ing from home) today.

First step, cut an oversized plug out of a scrap of mahogany. Don't get excited, the cutter isn't (and doesn't need to be) deep enough to go all the way through, I won't hit the vice with it.
    [​IMG]

Once I convinced myself I could make a decent plug, I drilled the messed up hole out to an even 1/2". Then cut down the plug (diameter) to fit.
    [​IMG]

Once I had things at a tight fit I spread some glue on it, tapped it into the body, and came up to have dinner.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll cut it off and sand it flush, then re-mark the post location and drill it again. If everything goes as planned, the fix will be invisible once the post is in as the diameter of the flange on the post is bigger than the diameter of the plug. And yet I still tried to match the grain on the plug with the body. I dunno.

The changes I made to my drilling method was clamping the body down (I know, I know, but the first holes went fine even hand held) and not taking it up to full size in one shot. Now I do an undersized hole and take it out to final size with another bit.

A lot of the shortcuts I have taken on this thing have bitten me in the butt. One thing I haven't mentioned is, when I was freehanding the shape of the body up by the neck pocket, I made it a touch too narrow on the treble side. I could have still used a neck plate but it was just too tight a fit, so I moved the screw holes and went with seperate ferrules for each one. It's been a while since I've built one of these, things I used to know how to do I'm screwing up, but that's ok. It's a learning experience, I didn't expect this to rival a Masterbuilt from Fender!

RodeoTex, Barncaster, mo62987 and 3 others like this.
  15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You'll do fine lol

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  16. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I sawed off the post today and sanded it down. No need to get too picky about it as 99% of it will be drilled out again.
    [​IMG]

Then lined things up and drilled new holes. Worked this time.
    [​IMG]

And then the tail stop or whatever it's called. Kind of a pain getting everything aligned and spaced correctly with this set up, I like hard tail Fender bridges even more now.
    [​IMG]

There's a Fire fly amp in the background that I built a couple years ago and never got around to building a cabinet for. I found a pine board that I think I bought for a shelf and never used. It's not very nice looking but it may be big enough to make a cabinet out of. Looks like I'll be off work again next week so maybe I'll put something together finally. It won't be pretty but it will prove out the layout I want to do. Better than spending more money on nicer wood only to find out my idea isn't all that great in the flesh!

RodeoTex, CraigB, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I've been working on motorcycles and other things instead of this the past few days. One of those things was the amp cabinet I mentioned earlier and since there's not much else to ramble on about, here it is!

There were two goals - Only use things I already had around the house, and build it over the weekend. I missed the time deadline. Oops. I worked on other things that I hadn't planned on too and it's not like it really matters. I HAVE stuck to the "only use things I already have" rule though. As tempting as it was to head off to Lowes for a few things I don't think that's the kind of situation they're staying open for.

Anyway, here are the basics. A Firefly amp (about 1.5 Wattt IIRC) built off a printed circuit board. Pine I had originally bought for a shelf. An oval speaker I ordered for this a couple years ago maybe?
    [​IMG]

Max dimensions were dictated by the size of my bandsaw. I couldn't cut anything off the board that was longer than 12" so I couldn't make it as tall as originally planned. Ok, I could have made a couple cuts by hand for longer pieces but I'm lazy. It worked out. Instead of leaving room to change tubes in the cabinet, the chassis will slide out of the back when needed. I don't have any of the pieces installed to keep the chassis in place yet.
    [​IMG]

It will have a removable front panel that holds the grill cloth and allows the speaker to be changed. I am not a big fan of plywood but it was all I had that would fit.
    [​IMG]

I could have sworn I had a handle around here but can't find it now. I probably won't finish it up tomorrow but I have the entire week off so hopefully by next weekend I'll have one thing off my long term To Do list! This has been on that list for literally years... it's not what I originally envisioned but it'll do!

RodeoTex, Macrogats, 2blue2 and 5 others like this.
  18. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Since missing my self imposed deadline for getting the amp done and out of my way, I found myself falling into the trap of sitting around thinking about all the ways I could finish it up, the things I could improve stuff I had already done, the best way to do this, yadda yadda yadda. It's time to get back to other things! So when I went downstairs today the goal was to just finish it.

I still didn't get there, but I finished all the things that will make noise or dust. "All that's left" is to make up a speaker wire for it (I have the wire and connectors), find a power cable, plan/print something resembling a faceplate, and stick some knobs on it.
    [​IMG]

I stuck some feet on the bottom, and put in a simple handle. I had a fancier one, but it seemed like a waste to put it on here. I wanted to use a piece of rope but didn't have anything suitable. So, I used a bit of wire I had sitting around instead. It's attached with staples under the top of the amp, I wasn't too sure of the idea but now that it's done I'm convinced it's not going anywhere.
    [​IMG]

POP QUIZ! Any guesses where this "cable" is from????

Here's a hint. It came from this and was going to be replaced anyway.
    [​IMG]

Second hint:
    [​IMG]

Yep, it's a spark plug wire off of a flathead Ford. And now I can get back to the Jag. After I wash Ollie's paws, he's been outside being a dog...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  19. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Hey Craig! Sweet looking guitar and amp! I'd love some references you might have on that amp. Looks like a great way to dip into the water of burnt fingers.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Guitar is looking good:D

Ya got to quit taking parts off that flathead or it will never run,

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.