DesmoDog's 2020 Brotherhood Build - Jaguar Lite

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DesmoDog, Mar 5, 2020.

1. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Things to do before starting new project:

1) Finish trackbike prep - Nope
    2) Complete maintenance on daily driver streetbike to prep for season - Nope
    3) Finish TLC on weekend warrior streetbike to prep for dyno tuning - Nope
    4) Tear down engine on hot rod, take block to machinist, check for cracks - Nope
    5) Build cabinet for Firefly amp that's been done for a few years now - Nope
    6) Organize shop to gain room to walk around without tripping over stuff - Nope
    7)
    Finish putting togther drawings and templates of what I plan to build - Nope
    8) Clear off benches to have workspace - kinda... I moved all the stuff from the "guitar bench" to the other bench.

Perfect! We're good to go.

Welcome to my Brotherhood Build. Just the excuse I needed to use up some of the various parts I've had kicking around for a few years. I'm going to attempt to put together something based on a Fender Jaguar. I called it a Jaguar Lite because it's not going to have all the switches or the trem. I thought I was being fancy on my choices but as I researched this I discovered that Fender produced a guitar very similar to this in their Squier line. Maybe that's where I got the idea, I don't know. But it's out of production now and I've got all these parts taking up space so here we are.

I'm not sure where I'm going to find room for my bandsaw or how I'm going to finish it now that my paintbooth has been torn down, but I guess we'll find out.

Why a simplified Jaguar?

I like offset bodies.
    I want to try a 24" scale length. I've built one or two others but never got them to where they were all that playable.
    I have lost my infatuation with trems. I'm still Jonesing for a hardtail Strat - I've got three with trems. They're all decked. I never touch my Jet King with the Bigsby copy.
    I wanted something with humbuckers, Well.. this will be close. I plan on using humbucker sized P90s I already own. Baby steps people, baby steps. Oh wait, I have a Gretsch Electromatic with 'buckers. And a Bigsby. I never touch it.
    I have no interest in all the tonal options on the Jag

So that leads me to the Jag body/neck with a simple three way switch and since I have it around a tune-o-matic style bridge. In fact most of the hardware will be taken from stuff I have sitting around. Here's the general idea (those are the wrong pickups BTW)
    [​IMG]

My crowded workspace and the materials I'll use.
    [​IMG]

The main thing I didn't have around was a body blank. In the past I've improvised. This time I splurged and bought a one piece mahogany body blank intended for guitar use. I've never worked with mahogany so why not.

The neck will be wenge. I like necks that do not need a finish and I wanted something dark. Also I've never worked with Wenge so why not.

The fingerboard will be ebony. I have various fingerboard blanks left over from when my dad built banjos in the '70s and '80s. Warmoth uses ebony on wenge necks pretty often, and I wanted something dark. And... wait for it... I've never worked with ebony so why not.

That all looks something like this at the moment
    [​IMG]

The frets wiil be whatever I have stashed away in my drawer, unless I decide to spring for something with a different profile, maybe in stainless material because, well, you know. I've never worked with stainless frets...

I haven't decided on a peghead shape. I have a drawing of what is supposed to be a '62 Jaguar but I don't really like how big the peghead is. Plus, the neck blank I have isn't wide enough for it. So I will either go with a slightly smaller Fender shape, or maybe something along the lines of what Musicman uses. I've alway kind aliked the 4x2 set up and I've never used it...

The pickups will be some Mean 90s I have in another guitar right now. I've played them once or twice and liked them but the guitar is stuffed in a closet and I never play it so why not.

The finish remains to be seen. Preliminary idea was mentioned in an earlier post - I'm thinking an "Ollie Burst". Something akin to a tobacco burst. This is Ollie, so black brown and white. I noticed the other day that in the sunlight even his black fur has a tinge of brown to it, so I think the brown I used on my last burst would work well.
    [​IMG]

And finally, this is looking left of my bench. Things have gotten a lot more crowded since my last build...
    [​IMG]

With that, it's time to go finish putting some humbuckers and a tuneomatic on the Jag drawing I have so I can start working on this. I fully expect to take time off from this along the way to get some other things done, don't expect daily updates from now until it's done.

2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Sounds good man. Can’t wait to see this take shape. And Ollie’s a fine looking dog too. Make him proud of the finish! :p

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: Hilarious, you are going short scale and I'm going long. Who'd a thunk it? Oh well busy busy lol

Dave

4. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

I like the plan! I've long been planning a stripped down Jazzmaster...

Good luck and Godspeed, sir!

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Plan is sounding good.
    Is 'Jaguar Lite' kind of like 'Diet Jaguar"?
    24 is really a short scale but I like Mustangs and they be short scale too.

In fact I think I love short stuff
    short stack pancakes
    Fluffy short Corgies
    short films
    Short traffic light

Guitars and HotRods and nice doggies, Oh hell ya!
    Happy building!

Captain Nutslot and crazydave911 like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds great, subscribed. Lovely pooch too.

7. crazydave911

:lol:

2blue2 likes this.
  8. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I finally made some sawdust today, but didn't get nearly as far along as I had hoped. I'm pretty sure that will be an ongoing theme here so I'm going to just put it out there as a universal comment and not mention it from here on out.

One of the things I spent entirely too much time looking at was the peghead design. The neck blank I have is too small for a stock Jag headstock but that's fine, I don't like the large size the stock Jag uses anyway so was already considering two options. You can kinda see the outline of all three in the photo - I tried a smaller Strat headstock, and a MusicMan design. As it turns out, the Strat headstock won't fit the neck blank either, but I think the MusicMan would look too small with the Jag body, so I'm going with the Strat headstock and adding an ear to the neck blank.
    [​IMG]

With that huge decision made, I started prepping the fret board. First step was to make one edge straight. After that I planed it down to about 1/4" thick. I haven't worked with ebony before so this is new... I started by using the router as a planer. This worked ok, but I got out a block plane to smooth it out. That worked OK too except the board has some sort of knot in it, the planer would hang up on that make little tear outs.

Sharpened the planer, set it up again, and it worked better. I got it to where I thought that side would work for the top. Then the back side. Yikes, the knot was giving me ALL kinds of trouble on the back. I went back to using the router again, and got better results. Finished that up with sandpaper instead of the hand plane and may now use that side as the top instead.

In any case, I was downstairs for about five hours today and all I have to show for it is this (and some progress on a bike project, but that's a different forum):
    [​IMG]

It's a lot darker in person, I think the flash highlighted all the MDF dust (my
    planer" set up had some sacrificial MDF involved)

It made a lot more dust than I was expecting actually, I thought it'd be bigger chips. This is only from the final hit with the router.
    [​IMG]

Stopped there for the day and took Ollie for a walk. Upper 50s and sunny, have to take advantage of it!

Next up - I'll either slot the board or start on the neck. Stay tuned!

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Off to a good start Desmo

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. crazydave911

:D

11. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Ebony, getting the good stuff out for the brother hood build, Nice!

Makes me not want to use my boring piece of maple for my fretboard.

Bentley and crazydave911 like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Damn, another one on the move, looking super sweet! . . . I'm starting to get the itch but I got too much to get through before I can start . . .dang nab it!

13. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

That's going to be a good lookin' guitar to match a good lookin' hound. I love the idea of an Ollie-burst.

Is there a story behind that strange looking dog statue that's behind Ollie? Just wonderin'.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Model A?

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Good start with that fb.

Olliecaster - I love it! :p

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the comments! It's getting rolling... I put a little more work into it tonight, cut the neck blank to length and then put the neck drawing on top of it. It is SO close to fitting I think I'm going to change the peghead design to fit so I don't have to add anything to the blank.

I thought about the ebony after I worked with it. It's from my dad's shop back in the '70s - '80s, so it's 40+ years old in it's "blank" state. Who knows how old it was when he got it. I also realized I know nothing about where ebony comes from since I had never heard of an ebony tree. Long story short - one site mentioned that the darker the wood is, the older the tree it came from. I have no idea if that's true but they also said if the ebony is solid black the tree was 150 years old or more? If all that is true... that little board may be pushing 200 years old? Kinda freaks me out a little. I have no idea how old the maple and ash trees are that get used up, they'd probably surprise me too.

Too much to get through? Did you not see my list of things to do before starting? ;-)

The dog was done by a local artist who does a lot of large-scale stuff. My wife saw some of his work at an exhibit and liked it. We went over to his shop(?) and chose that little guy from about six small dogs he had. Now he's doing small lambs and my wife wants one - I like the dog but the lambs look weird to me so I'm not jumping at that quite yet.

I've been putting thought into the Ollie burst... I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. It'll look a lot like a tobacco burst but will be an Ollie burst. Trust me.

Some of it is Model A. The frame and some other mechanicals are '31 Model A. Body is a '27 Model T roadster. Transmission is 1939, engine is around 1950 (8BA Flathead) but it's dressed to look earlier. Dash and grill are modified '32 (reproductions). I'm in way over my head on that one, it's days with me may be limited. The time and money into it is ridiculous...

Zepfan, Bristlehound and crazydave911 like this.
  17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I played around with some peghead shapes. No big changes and no need to decide now, but it's a start.

The one on the right is similar to a GFS shape I think? The middle one is just a tweak of the Fender version, maybe a little more Telecasterish? The left one is, um, I dunno. Started out a lot different and I just kept scribbling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macrogats and crazydave911 like this.
  18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Make the body black...........with all that chrome it'll really stand out!

Good luck with the build by the way!

P.S. I like the second head stock from the left!

DC

crazydave911, E-miel and tubedood like this.
  19. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Voting right!

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

200 yrs!?! wow!

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.