Designed a Pickup Winder. Only took 9 years!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by wbegg, Mar 29, 2020.

1. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Hey all,

A bit of a long journey, but I have finally wound my 1st set of single coil pickups.

It has been quite a long journey. Back in 2011, i got interested in the Arduino platform, and after some studying, and some code stealing, I finished the code to be able to control a motor, and count the turns for the motor. I cobbled together a crude circuit that worked, but soon got shipped out to Australia with work in 2012, I returned in 2016 and after a few years, built a 3D mill. After some consternation, I realized what a perfect way to design and finalize my dream of a design to wind my own pickups!

After many 3D printed designs, I fell on this design that I machined out of aluminum and steel. The electronics and controls are a bit straight forward. I can program in (through switches) the total number of turns, crank up the speed, start manually feeding the pickup wire, and it stops at the max turns. Not a huge accomplishment in programming, but it works.

Having a 3D printer, I also designed custom Bobbin holders to fit snug.

Here's my monstrosity.

[​IMG]

2. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

That’s really cool. Great job on the design and construction. Looks like a professional piece of equipment. Are you going to be selling winders and/or pickups or is it just for personal use?

3. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

The winder I probably won't sell. Just too much time in making one. The two sides are 1/2" machined billet aluminum, and the case is hand bent steel sheet (that was a new process to me). It does wind great, almost perfectly uniform pickups, after I got the feel down for the hand winding process. I may be selling pickups. 1st goes into my new Strat. Next up, Tele pickups, of course.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a nice and clean fabricating job :).

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Nice job! Way to pursue your goal and get 'er done!

6. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

1st time also on not etching my own circuit boards. Had one made. Pretty darn cheap these days. I think I used JLCPCB. Only $2 for 5 boards. I may do a build here and share the circuit and code so y'all can build too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Cool.

8. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

This is really cool. I've been thinking about making my own pickups for my Strat as it has import pickups (Made in Indonesia Squier, good guitar) but the sound I want is a pickup year not commonly made. In case you were wondering, that would be '63 pickups.

9. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

That is cool. I saw one made from a record player once. No idea how they counted the winds.

Thought about trying it with an old Shakespeare real I have with a level wind, lol. For a second. Then I dismissed the idea as ridiculous.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

TelenTubes likes this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome!
    I wouldn’t even know where to start with “coding” something, way above my head

To O.P - if you don’t mind, what is your day job? Do you work in the I.T field?

SacDAve likes this.
  12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That looks great I would like to see a video of the winder in action

13. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Created a small video of the winder in action. Not actually winding a pickup, as I am out of bobbins.

tubegeek likes this.
  14. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

Is it possible to program it so it can work out at the last say ~20 winds it will automatically start to slow down so it doesn't overwind ?

It's pretty bloody cool !

15. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Wind in god health.

16. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Yeah, I'm looking at that now. Shouldn't be a hard code, it just needs to bypass the mapping of the control pot to the microcontroller.

You're from Leschenault. I spent 4 years working in Kalgoorlie, WA, and while I was there, took a 2 week vacation and drove the southwest coast from Esperance to Perth. I drove through your town. What a beautiful place! I really enjoyed Margaret River.

rexhunta likes this.
  17. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

That is correct. I am about hour and a bit from Margs and hour and a half from Perth. We definitely live in a pretty nice area I do agree there ! Haven't been to Kalgoorlie/Esperance for a while now, not expecting to go to Kal for a long time now, especially we're locked down in our regions ( Our border is Mandurah, to denmark, just out east to Collie ), but I think we got the better side of the deal, plenty of places to isolate 4wding around here !

18. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Willy Winder i remember a proto type of that on the arduino forums right ? man what a website forum that is it takes condescending to a fine art

Very nice machine congrats on completing it

19. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Anodized the front panel. Plan on anodizing the side panels (aluminum), but I may have to re-machine new parts in 6061 Al, as the current parts are cast plate. Cast doesn't anodize well (don't ask me how I know). Probably paint the bent steel body. Any suggestions on color?

[​IMG]

20. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

And there were 3D printed prototypes.

[​IMG]

LeftFinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.