1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Describe Vibro Champ Tremolo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markesquire, Jan 1, 2021.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I’m considering getting a Vibro Champ, but I need to know more about it’s tremolo.

I love the bias-vary trem in my PRRI but wish it were even deeper and slower.

I’ve heard that the Vibro Champ’s tremolo *is* in fact deeper, and that you can use different cap values to slow it down.

Are there any other tone differences between the tremolo on a Vibro Champ and a Princeton?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tremolos can vary amp to amp. I own both of the amps you mention. I prefer my 69 Silverface VC, but don't really know why. My guess is it has to do with the fact that I turn the volume up higher than my RI Princeton to maintain living room volume. I believe that effects depth. But speed is a simple fix with a single cap. I would like to slow both of mine down but haven't gotten around to it. I am hesitant to mess with the VC as it's relatively unmolested. Let's put it this way - the Princeton has one thing the VC doesn't - reverb. I typically use both together. I have to use my FR1000 in order to get a nice reverb for the VC. But all things considered, I could live without the Princeton, but not the VC.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    ce24 likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

At low settings it's more of a shimmery warble. Probably a bit more prominent than a PR (had both). It's not a deep swamp trem.

Have to be careful with your B+ as it's the voltage swing of an oscillator that drives it.

4. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

So, is there ANY BF amp with deep “swampy” tremolo? Do you basically have to use a pedal to get slow and deep trem?

Boreas likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

There is a mod for deeper and a mod for slower on a Princeton Reverb. It's just one cap and one resistor change. You'll have to find them on your PCB.

Princeton Rev Tremelo mod

There are normally 3 caps tied to your tremolo circuit. two .01s and one .022. Pull a .01 and replace with a .022uF. That will slow it down.
    You will also find a 1M resistor attached to the .02 cap in that circuit, Replace it with a 220K-470k. That will highly increase the intensity. A 470K makes it deeper and the 220K is even more deep.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    BobbyZ and Boreas like this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bias vary tremolo is going to depend a lot on how hot your tubes are biased and how loud you're playing.

The VC tremolo is also bias vary, but on the second gain stage of the preamp, so it also kind of depends on how loud you're playing, or how hot your signal is.

SnidelyWhiplash, Wally and Boreas like this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Our friend and amp guru Muchxs said the trem on my homebuilt VC was one of the nicest he's ever heard...deep and rich. I can live with that.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Does anyone know what the Tremolo is the on the 68 Custom Champ?

is it Bias or Opto (I like Bias better)

Edit: seeing on Fender Site its Bias, cool

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Vibro Champ trem doesn't do anything for me. However I'm not a trem user and got rid of both Vibro Champs I've had. Wish I liked them because they're small and really loud enough for what I do and a mic works wonders.
    Anyway your best bet is to try one or a few out.
    My opinion certainly doesn't mean a whole lot and really only your's matters.

10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

11. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

VE GO D
    RY OO ?

Mike M likes this.
  12. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

13. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

Have you ever checked out an Excelsior? Not BF but swampy as hell and a bargain at that.

14. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

~~~~~~~

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.