1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Derry Girls

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. Early-mid 90’s.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

She is fabulous.

Slip Kid, John Backlund and grayback like this.
  3. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I like Derry Girls, it’s nice humour.

I loved Raised by Wolves which is in a similar comedy vein ( the pretension and misadventures of adolescent girls) and made before Derry Girls although set in England. Written by the Moran sisters who grew up about three miles away from where I did so I found it extremely relatable! Sadly the series title now hijacked by a sci fi series.
    You might need subtitles...

Toast likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the "heads up". I just finished Hand of God (two seasons) and it was pretty grim.....so now I'm in the mood for a lighter series. ;)

Toast likes this.
  5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

The first series is 70s set around the start of the “troubles” with heavy army presence and so on.
    Especially in the last series it has moved on to the 90s as you say, but the portrayal of the schools, church, etc, is still very much rooted in 70s. Bits and pieces of newsreel soundtracks serve to place much of it.

Toast likes this.
  6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Derry Girls is set in the mid-90s. It takes the story up to the day Clinton visited. The Troubles are the backdrop, but not the setting.

Also, if you like the Great British Bake-Off, they did a special holiday episode with members of the cast.

grayback and Toast like this.
  7. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

The other great thing about the show is that I can (and almost must) watch it several times because the accents are almost intelligible to my ear initially and I hear and understand more stuff with each watching. The Irish and Scottish are the best swearers in the world. Honorable mention goes to England. I have a life-long German friend and they are great at making cars and precision instruments but hopeless at swearing.

Toast likes this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that had me wondering if that were some kind of Irish thing. I dunno.

9. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, she's practically the star of the show. Her jokes are examples of great writing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Derry Girls is hilarious, although it might take those without a history of listening to/understanding a Northern Irish accent a few episodes to really figure out what everyone is saying.

Ireland has been "religious" for more than a thousand years. It's had serious religious conflicts for about 400 years or so.

nojazzhere and Toast like this.
  11. omahaaudio

It's set in the 1990s, which is why (spoiler alert) it shows Bill Clinton's visit to Derry in 1995 at the end of season two.

Toast likes this.
  12. omahaaudio

I knew nuns like that and I grew up in 60s America.

grayback, artdecade and Toast like this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Well, Germany is brimming with churches, but if you live there you start to realize that nobody really attends them, for the most part, until the holidays. Churches are like Walmarts during a black Friday sale there.

omahaaudio likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Based on my experience with Wisconsin, I'd say there's at least a 125% chance of your story being true!

15. JanOak

JanOak TDPRI Member

I've watched a few episodes and quite like it. My wife is from Belfast and grew up in the era the show is set in. She thinks it's wonderful. I think to really get the humour you need to be from Ulster. She explains it to me but I still don't understand it. Anyway I was part of the occupying army at the time so my perspective is quite different!

Toast likes this.
  16. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Wow, I can imagine your perspective is a whole show in itself. I'm glad people have been able to find some peace.

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

They should do one about girls from Derry, Maine. With vampires, kids that can set fires with their minds, haunted hotels, murderous self-repairing cars, supernatural happenings, and all that stuff.

Yeah, I like Stephen King. Can’t be helped. It started with those black and white, 1930s Universal Pictures monster movies when I was a kid, and just kept going from there.

18. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

If you like Derry Girls and are looking for more contemporary adult-oriented British & Irish comedy / drama, check out:

BBC / Netflix
    Young Offenders

BBC
    This Country
    Motherland
    Fleabag
    What we do in the shadows
    Uncle
    Back to Life
    The League of Gentlemen

(UK) C4
    Catastrophe
    Shameless

Enjoy!

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I watched Fleabag and I'm of two minds about it. (Everyone else I know loved it.)

The writing is clever -- Brits do clever well -- but the lead character is endlessly mugging to the camera. She also likes to tell you what other characters are about to say, which gets annoying. Still, I can see why others might like it.

I did like this moment.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    BerkshireDuncan likes this.
  20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

... the movie was made by Kiwis and the show is made by Americans in Canada. The Brits don't get to claim this one. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.