1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Derry Girls

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Anybody else watching this show on Netflix? It's about a group of teenage Catholic girls growing up in Derry, Ireland. The show is a comedy and obviously presents an exaggerated depiction of life in Derry. Honestly, the jokes are a wee bit (yeah, I'm using "bit" there) cringe-worthy/saucy (in the vein of say, Benny Hill), but the perspective on life in Northern Ireland is fascinating (to me at least :)). I have no idea what life in a place like Derry would be like.

Spoiler Alert:

* They leave for vacation, get lost, end up in the middle of an Orangemen march
    * Discover an outlaw whose trying to cross the border in their trunk
    * Catholic Nuns, lots of Catholic nuns (Probably a silly question, but is Ireland really that religious?)
    * A Protestant/Catholic bury-the-hatchet meeting
    * Chips, they live off them
    * Merciless jokes about the English
    * One short River Dance gag. I'm hoping for more.

I haven't finished the series. I'm not sure I will. The perspective on Ireland keeps me coming back to it though. Some of the jokes in the show are funny, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought it was fantastic the first season. Subsequent episodes were still enjoyable, but nothing like that first season.

The only people I know who didn’t enjoy it... let’s just say some conversation about it showed that a good bit of the wittier dialogue and comedy went right over their heads. Also have to remember it’s not set present day. It’s a story that happened 25-30 years ago. That’s extremely relevant to a lot of the goings on.

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I just discovered it. I have to admit there were a few times I laughed hard (diary jokes). I'm going to stick with it and see where it goes.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Very funny. We caught the first season as soon as it went up and were thrilled when the second season arrived.

Toast likes this.
  5. OLDTELEHACKER

OLDTELEHACKER TDPRI Member

My first post in 5 years. I enjoyed it very much, found the humour wry, based on the situation in Derry (or Londonderry some would say) at the time. Visited there and hope to return. The English kid trying to find a place to pee in the first episode was hilarious.

6. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Wow, welcome back. I'm glad I have a whole other season to look forward to.

OLDTELEHACKER likes this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Love it. Sharp witted, well written, and really funny. A treasure trove of scathingly inappropriate one-liners.

omahaaudio, Jakedog and Toast like this.
  8. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Londonderry Air or as some say, London Derriere

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for the show

Toast likes this.
  9. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We watched it and liked it quite a bit, though when the characters spoke fast I sometimes had a difficult time following what was said, especially from the neurotic short blonde girl.

Toast and Jakedog like this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I thought you ment Dairy Girls and just spelled it wrong. It's a show about a group of woman dairy farmers in Wisconsin, that lure men to their farm with their charms. The poor saps are then used as slaves to shovel manure and bale hay. The poor saps don't seem to have a clue they're being used and sleep in the barn, hoping they'll get invited up to the house someday.
    Based on a true story, I just made up.

Toto'sDad, Toast, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  11. loudboy

loudboy TDPRI Member

Very funny. We turned on CC, so we could understand it.

"Rock The Boat" - who knew?

omahaaudio, Toast and Jakedog like this.
  12. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I grew up in Northern Ireland, and would have been a couple of years older than the characters when the series is set. My brothers and I all went to a school run by priests, and my sisters went to a school run by nuns, there were (and still are) very few secular schools. We all enjoyed it, it's pretty accurate to the time, the charachters are all recognisable and the exaggerations for comedic effect aren't as extreme as you might think.

13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Remember this is set early 70s, and is fairly authentic, if a bit exaggerated. The speech, speed of delivery & accent are all fairly accurate, and probably present quite a challenge in understanding if you’re not familiar with the language.
    The Derry accent is unique and confined to quite a small area. Interestingly relatively few of the cast are actually from Derry - for example the blonde girl is actually from Galway.
    Our family enjoy the show, though I don’t think anything has lived up to the first series. Great to see my teenage years being brought to the masses.

14. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Count me as a fan. I'm also a big fan of the Scottish show "Still Game". My wife and I love it so much we've regularly incorporated Scottish slang into our Texas daily life.

15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'll have to find it. I lived in London in the 70s and I imagine I'll enjoy it.

Toast likes this.
  16. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I'm pretty sure it's set in the mid nineties, there's an episode about the boyband Take That, and one about Clinton's visit in the last series.

17. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Great show.

The good news is the third series has been written for ages and the team have signed up. But, due to 'that which shall not be named' here, it hasn't gone into production yet,

Toast, John Backlund and Jakedog like this.
  18. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

Great show! Sister Michael is hilarious.

19. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Another fan of the show here.
    A couple of years ago, my wife and I traveled through Ireland, including the Derry area. We saw a sign where the "London" part was spray painted out, just like in the show. It was kind of a shock when you travel through such a beautiful country and suddenly come across things like this or some graffiti reminding you of "The Troubles".

Back to the show.
    My wife and I love it. A few times we had to turn on the closed captioning but we are starting to get used to the accent. We have incorporated some of the dialogue of the show into our lives. I often online order things for curbside pickup. As we are about to head off, my wife often reminds me I need "The wee docket".

I love how Joe is constantly giving Gerry a hard time. Love the nun. I love the little regional jabs in there. One teacher went to do missionary work in some decrepit third world area. (Belfast) And the jokes about the ability to speak English in Donegal.

A great show. Can't wait until they are able to get new shows going.

(Spoiler)
    I really loved the end of season 1 when all the kids were dancing on stage so Orla didn't look foolish while the parents were watching the news about a bomb blast. I admit I got a lump in my throat when Joe put his hand on Gerry's shoulder.

20. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

is it weird that the only people I have heard about this show from are dudes?

Toast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.