1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Derek Trucks Tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobbyryan25, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bobbyryan25

bobbyryan25 NEW MEMBER!

I recently bought a new Blues Junior NOS Tweed and am reasonably happy with it up to this point. I would have gotten the DRRI but funds were a problem. I have become a bit of a tone chaser and am trying to figure out the best way to get Derek Trucks tone with what I have. I heard a good combination was a DRRI with a Tone Tubby speaker but does anyone have any advice on how to do that with a blues junior. What about an Eminence Swamp Thing? Please help.

2. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

The Problem is that if you going to get Derek Trucks tone you need to get 1965 or 1968 Blackface Super Reverb. You can also get Silverface and had modded down the road to have more of blakface sound.

As you would need to change the speakers to Pyle Driver MH1020 speakers

3. taterhead

taterhead Tele-Meister

You might try a graphic EQ pedal to sculpt the sound to your liking.
    I think he uses a Super Reverb, and I have spotted TTs in it before.
    Maybe try cranking the amp and using your guitar volume knob to adjust the level of grit.

I love his sound when it's rolled back a bit. Just a good smooth, warm breakup.

4. taterhead

taterhead Tele-Meister

Yes, Super, as confirmed by Tazzboy.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

An SG and thin walled glass slide would help too.

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nah, you just need a POD ;).

Kidding aside. You do need some volume and more headroom than the Bjr has. His tone is, for better of for worse, a "Big" amp tone. If you're really into DT, work on copping his licks and approach. That'll get you more than 1/2 way there.

7. bobbyryan25

bobbyryan25 NEW MEMBER!

I completly agree that practicing is the most important thing. I have been on these forums for years and always expect someone to tell me that however lets just say hypothetically that im not trying to play like him I just admire his sound. I have had an SG that was my fathers even before I knew who DT was but people have tried all different combinations to get sounds and the closest I ever heard was an eminence copperhead with JJ Tesla tubes in a fender pro junior. Im curious if anyone has had any similar experience with thier tone hunts.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I actually think that 'how' he plays 'what' he plays IS the primary determining factor in how he sounds - it is for all the great players. They sound the same on any rig.
    His tonal thing - gear wise - is not all that unique. An SG and a Super. A pretty meat and potatos rock guitar combo. I believe that's essentially the gear Santana used in the late 60's. They don't sound too much a like.
    If you learn - in my opinion - a lot of his tunes and licks, you'll get his finger thing happening and probably sound a lot more like him tone wise than if you even just got to play through his rig.

9. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I would agree with practicing and a Super. With what you have, I'd focus on the neck pickup of your guitar...if it's a single coil guitar (tele) I'd roll the tone knob back a bit. I'd set the amp with the mids up a bit more than normal. Didn't those Blues Juniors have a fat switch or something? I might have that on, depending on just how fat it makes things.
    Derek Trucks' tone strikes me as just being a Super really turned up, which in turns makes things driven and mid-heavy.
    Another important thing about his tone his the fact that he uses his fingers and not a pick, and his fingerpicking style is unconventional to say the least. He's got his own thing going there.

10. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

From the interviews I've read, Derek uses a BFSR, but with 'inexpensive' Pyle driver speakers. The tone is in his fingers and mind.

11. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Yep - the way he uses his fingers is everything with his tone. Thats why nobody sounds like him at all. He is the most soulful player I'vce ever seen live, can almost make you cry, or jump for joy. But his right hand technique is absolutley amazing. It's very unconventional, but so very expressive. Whatch his work on crossroads live especially on anyday now and tell the truth. He makes those song soar and yes, to get his tone you need to crank a super reverb.

12. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Last video of Derek that I saw, he was playing through a Fender Quad Reverb amp. And he still sounded just like Derek.

13. JoePops22

JoePops22 TDPRI Member

DT Tone

If you check out the PRS website (or youtube) there is a short, 2 minute video with Derek endorsing ($$$) one of the new PRS amps.

While it doesn't actually show Derek playing the amp he claims that it helps him keep up, volume wise, with Warren and his Diaz/Soldano heads while playing with ABB.

I would like to see a clip of Derek playing through the PRS to see if he gets the same tone as with his Fender SR.

14. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

I often noticed that when a player who has found HIS tone, he can get it no matter what he uses.

You must first start by playing just like him, use fingers, glass slide, jazzy scales, same positions on the fretboard,, then you adjust the guitar and amp knobs to finish it.

You can not go the other way around.

15. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

I know he also endorses DR pure nickel strings.

16. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

The easiest way to get that sound is to have Derek come over and play whatever guitar and whatever amp you have at the time. Maybe he likes pizza.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.