Depressing Betta fish

monkeybanana

Tele-Holic
I had one for two years. I also had snails and plants and tried to keep it interesting. I don't have the energy to do that right now. Our tap water isn't suitable for fish so every time I changed the water I had to have treated water to replace it.

Other concerns with chloramines in drinking water
Chloramines, like chlorine, are toxic to fish and amphibians at levels used for drinking water. Unlike chlorine, chloramines do not rapidly dissipate on standing. Neither do they dissipate by boiling. Fish owners must neutralize or remove chloramines from water used in aquariums or ponds. Treatment products are readily available at aquarium supply stores. Chloramines react with certain types of rubber hoses and gaskets, such as those on washing machines and hot water heaters. Black or greasy particles may appear as these materials degrade. Replacement materials are commonly available at hardware and plumber supply stores.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
My first fish was a beta. I ended up putting her into a community aquarium when I moved up in fish ownership. She did great, lived for a long time.

I think keeping them in those little bowls sucks.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
They're beautiful but they can be a-holes to some fish. They live a long time and don't require a lot of maintenance.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have 4 small fish in a10 gallon tank. They live in the corner of my kitchen. They’re my kitchen fish. They stare at me when I make Pad Thai. Fish are relaxing and graceful. They shouldn’t be marketed in 6 Oz cups. Flowers should be marketed in 6 Oz cups and then released to a garden that’s really big.

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Waltzed into PetSmart =
I always have to go by the wall of little Betta fish 'condos' on the way to the cat heaven department. Dang if they don't look miserable half floating in those claustrophobic teensy cups they put them in.

Reading this and seeing that picture made me think of being in the office today. :eek:

All of us sitting in our cubes which now have Sneeze Guards walling them in. :confused:

Now I'm depressed.:(

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Their natural habitat includes puddles of water so I don't think they mind the depth or size of the container but they might feel over exposed by the clean clear water.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember seeing a squirel in a cage in such a shop, and he was nuts, going left, right, left right in the cage. He probably went crazy in there.