Dentures

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, May 12, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I will be wearing dentures for the first time ever. Just a partial in my lower jaw. I can't have any posts or teeth drilled into my jaw. Has to be above skin. Any hints on how to manage other than pop them out and keep them clean? Any funny stories about dentures?

BamaSurf and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

This would be good to know

I’m still young but due to past lifestyle I’m on the road to dentures

I don’t think they are as bad as they used to be

dented likes this.
  3. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Well it's a learning curve I have an upper full plate . Had 9 teeth pulled in one day ! OUCH and a temporary put in that same day that I had to wear for 6 months till I could get my permanent it hurt like hell putting it in for awhile . You get used to wearing them.

dented likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Are they sturdy enough you can eat most foods?

I know back in the olden days you always saw folks taking them out to eat, I think they’ve come a long way recently though

I guess it depends what you get

dented likes this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I broke a couple of upper front teeth years ago.. eventually had a partial denture about three years ago after they became unrepairable.

Feels funny for first few hours then you really do stop noticing. People would not know to look.

Don’t sneeze with your mouth open :) Salad leaves can be annoying but I pretty much eat exactly as I did before.

dented and Fretting out like this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I remember my grandpa's teeth glowed green under the black light I had in my room as a kid. We all laughed, and he said, "well let me just take em out to see". He laughed too.

That's all I got!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I stayed with a Canadian family in the 70s as part of a student exchange, in the maple sugar area.
    Fried meat and eggs in syrup, put syrup on everything at every meal.

Some of the teen girls were trying to explain something and pointing at their faces but I wasn’t getting it.
    Finally one pulled out her full Dentures!

Seems lots of kids teeth could all be gone before their first kiss.
    Sounds rough but if they could do it I suppose anybody can?

8. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

My girl Jeanette tells me of the guy she worked for for 20 yrs He treated her like a daughter and great stories about his mother Opal also. Opal was about 4 foot 11 of swearing cantankerous, yank on Jeanette’s ponytail telling her to ”get to work skinny”, take no BS, Perfect for the collections agency, 80 year old Louisiana French mix of fire cracker. Her son Tyrone was a great guy that owned the place. Great stories of him and his two Belgian Malinois Shepard’s, but the somewhat spoiler alert is how he would always be fussing in the garage with his Dremel from his rock polishing hobby, but using it on his dentures. One fun part though was whenever he would do a project, or just alone in his own world, he would always be half muttering/humming, some thing that I do and actually caught her attention so many years back when we first met.
    Oh I just remembered a trip to Louisiana completely removed from the first story. I went back with my mom to visit, and the old man of the house would take out his dentures at the night time and put them in a cup by the sink. This was farm country with snakes and mice and water bugs/palmettos they just look like huge cockroaches to me. The night before I had got up to get a glass of water and my little car was driving itself through the kitchen. When I picked it up of course the mouse ran out. The next night I guess my mom got up to do the same thing and when she turned on the kitchen light she saw about a 4 inch bug drinking water out of the cup that of course his dentures were in. She opted to not tell him. She said at the time that she was afraid he would never use them again and they didn’t have a lot of money. Took me many years, but I finally thought if they were that poor he would’ve just scrub the heck out of them. I think she didn’t like him too much.

telemnemonics and dented like this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have 2 rods that they just pop on. Easy. Sorry you can’t use.

dented likes this.
  10. BamaSurf

BamaSurf TDPRI Member

I have upper partials...use the glue....and don't forget them when ya leave the house....

dented likes this.
  11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

12. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

If you get a microscopic piece of tortilla chip or tiny thing like a tiny strawberry seed between denture and gum you will have two days of pain.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m just gettin started on my fifth DECADE of pain.
    Two days???

Take care of what you got kids, just in case you don’t die young!

dented likes this.
  14. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I've got the full set. I'm lucky I guess that I've had very few problems with them. The upper plate stays in place well, as there's more surface area to create suction on your upper palette. I use these things from Seabond that are kind of like liners with built in adhesive. Looks like construction paper. It works very well. I use Fixodent adhesive on the bottom plate if we're going to a social dinner (just to make sure), but otherwise I seldom even use any adhesive on the lower plate. I'm lucky in that I still had plenty of my tooth bed (or whatever they call it) so the dentures have a good base to work with. I eat pretty much anything I want.

dented likes this.
  15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going to have a lower plate, metal hardware, two molars on each side symmetrical. No anchor posts. Any suggestion for the adhesive stuff besides super glue? :rolleyes:

16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Funny story regarding dentures. I was policing a football match and it was getting a bit out of hand and things were being thrown at us. We moved back down the field out of range and the officer next to me suddenly hopped on one leg bent down and someone had thrown their full set of dentures at us, how outraged must they have been! :lol::lol:

dented likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Never really needed it myself. Depends on fit. A partial might be quite snug. Take dentist advice.

Avoid toffee and sticky food.

dented likes this.
  18. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

FIRST and most important.... if you can avoid dentures - do it. SECOND... avoid it if at all possible. 3rd... good luck if you must

dented likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Before I got the insert rods/implants to hold it, I used basic polygrip or seabond..but lot of new stuff on market nowadays.

dented likes this.
  20. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I can eat corn on the cob and even steak with mine so yes you can eat pretty much any food you want . I don't even use the adhesive anymore just suction holds them in place .

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.