Demolition Derby, Yay or Naw?

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
YES

DEMO DERBIES RULE

0.jpg

they make regular car races boring by comparison.
Everyone is waiting for a crash anyway, GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THET WANT

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's

not gonna lie. I dig the derby. As a kid, we went a few times a year to them. We won tix to see Evel Knievel jump 50 cars and the warmup act was a demolition derby of luxury cars! it was awesome and better than the jump although he demoed his vehicle to jump snake river and that was NUTS.

I love small county demo derbies, you usually know a couple of the guys... they are fun, everybody roaring over big hits and 'slinkers' just a general good, loud time with lots of fun for everyone. What say you? Yay for the derby or 'full karen'?

No Karening. Just not a fan. Loud noises that aren’t music are dumb.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
OMG there is a game I play which is easily one of the best games I have ever played in my 30+ years of gaming. It's called WreckFest and everyone needs to get it RIGHT NOW!!!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

not gonna lie. I dig the derby. As a kid, we went a few times a year to them. We won tix to see Evel Knievel jump 50 cars and the warmup act was a demolition derby of luxury cars! it was awesome and better than the jump although he demoed his vehicle to jump snake river and that was NUTS.

I love small county demo derbies, you usually know a couple of the guys... they are fun, everybody roaring over big hits and 'slinkers' just a general good, loud time with lots of fun for everyone. What say you? Yay for the derby or 'full karen'?

Sure, I like fun.
Even regular stock car racing can be fun, as long as it's on a dirt track.

daddyplaysbass

Tele-Afflicted
I watch em on MAVTV from around Madison, WI. Two hilarious announcers, unlike news readers, they don't talk over each other. They also run figure 8, pullling trailers and school bus races on a soapy, slicked down track. Still lke roller derby whenever it's on.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I don’t think our county fair has one. It’s been quite sometime since I’ve seen one. A friend had a car last time I attended one.

I’ll watch when they send cars over a cliff.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
When my parents divorced around 1967 my Mom got the house and a 40 something Hudson that my dad used as a towing vehicle for his gas station. (that Hudson was a TANK!) She soon sold it to a couple guys who wanted it for a Hudson only demo derby.
No kid should grow up without going to some county fair demo derbys. To never attend one is frankly un-Amurican!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
a great scene
When my parents divorced around 1967 my Mom got the house and a 40 something Hudson that my dad used as a towing vehicle for his gas station. (that Hudson was a TANK!) She soon sold it to a couple guys who wanted it for a Hudson only demo derby.
No kid should grow up without going to some county fair demo derbys. To never attend one is frankly un-Amurican!

jeff bridges at his best. one of my favorite movies.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
As I recall, circa 1976 or so, the crowd favorites were usually 1959-60 Cadillacs and '64 Chrysler Imperials. Massive cars, and people would love to see them compacted to the length of AMC Gremlins.
(Thinking back, it was almost like seeing Pete Townshend destroy all of those SGs).
I haven't seen a Derby in at least 30 years. The Monster Truck thing just isn't the same.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I actually drove in one once in the mid ‘70s. Lots of fun, and I did quite well. My old ‘64 Chrysler 300 was a very sturdy beast, and if the transmission hadn’t quit when there were only about 6 or 7 cars left, I may have actually won. (the faulty tranny was the reason I was dumping the car) It was dented but running great when I had to quit. There were very few safety requirements for entry - it was a different time. That racetrack is long gone; there’s a shopping center there now.

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My son has run cars in several demolition derbies and figure 8 races. They're a lot more fun to watch when your kid isn't out there! Otherwise, I enjoy them a lot!

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

There's a part of me that thinks demolition derby is why we sit hoping and watch NASCAR RACING.
Demolition Derby is an honest answer to "Why NASCAR", violence using cars with an agreement.
I love to watch things get destroyed guitars Russian tanks, car crashes, buildings collapsing , everything polite that we so carefully structure, goes literally flying out the window with the window closed and locked tight.
BOOM a mushroom cloud on the horizon!
give me chaos and anarchy ,
but I don't want anyone to be injured. Fury unleashed from repressed libidoes
an orgasm of violence BANG.
And then everyone gets up uninjured , a kiss and a hug
"Was it good for you?
"oh hell yes!"
"let's do it again?"