Demo of my new band. Feedback wanted.

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by jguitarman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

We had three evenings to record and mix. I have some real reservations about certain aspects of this recording but it had to be done and we had a deadline. Let me know your thoughts please and then I'll tell you my opinion.
    My guitar is in the left side of the mix.

https://heartlandhighway.band/music/

Try to listen to the songs in order.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Very good production. Very slick.

dan1952 likes this.
  3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Great production. The female singer reminds me of Olivia Newton John. That's a good thing, by the way)!

4. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Sounds like a good time.

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Liked all the songs. Vocals were very good and the guitar parts were outstanding with great tone. Could you please share the musical instruments/equipment used during this recording session.

If you can reproduce the studio sound live, then I feel your band could possibly be an opening act for an established artist/band.

Would love to see a live performance - any YouTube videos?

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

timing issues

7. jguitarman

Thanks for your comment.
    As far as guitars go, I played an American Standard, 1990 Strat w. old Seymore Duncan APS Alnico II pickups on Should've Been A Cowboy. I used an Am.Standard Tele on Lyin' Eyes, Honky Tonk Woman tuned to open G, Pontoon, and Mr. Wrong. I used a Les Paul Standard on You're No Good. My amp was a brown reissue Vibroverb w. Jensen C10Q's and pedals were Boss Delay DD-7, Boss Chorus CH-1 and OCD overdrive. The other guitar player used his MIM Tele on everything through a Crate piggyback but I'm not sure which model. The bass guitar was an Ibanez and I'm not sure what amp he used. This was done in a studio in Grass Valley, CA. I don't know what equipment he used other than Pro Tools but could probably find out. Thanks again for everyone's comments.
    This is a new band so no YouTube videos yet. I should have something to post around mid June.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks jguitarman for the information and please post more of the band's music in the future.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It seems that whenever anyone posts music and asks for comments, they generally mean "tell me my band is great." It seems like you actually want honest constructive feedback though, so...

-Drumming seems a little shaky on the first tune
    -Drums sound a little too processed for this style of music on the first tune, but it gets better on the others.
    -Vocals sound too dry, I'd try adding a little slap delay and maybe a hint of plate 'verb to make them sit better in the track. As it stands they kind of sit on top of the instruments.
    -Instead of panning the guitars left and right ("dual mono"), maybe try giving them some ambiance with a subtle stereo room/hall reverb. I don't mean wash them out, just give them a sense of space and pan slightly instead of just hard panning. It seems like the guitars already have some 'verb on them, but it's panned hard with the guitars.
    -The female vocalist isn't projecting- it sounds like she's trying not to wake someone in the next room. Give her a couple shots and get her to open up next time. Sounds like she needs some confidence/experience.
    -Your guitar is totally on point, the other one sounds less confident but it works as a rhythm track.
    -Bass doesn't really have any definition, but nobody cares about the bass so don't worry about it. It fills out the bottom, that's all you really need.
    -The piano on Honkey Tonk Women sounds muddy, that part needs to cut a little more like a barroom piano. The performance is kinda rough, though- maybe bury it a little more at the same time. I know that sounds contradictory, but it isn't.

Overall the performances are good except for the drums in the first one and the female vocalist, so you guys nailed the important part.

That's what this rando from the internet thinks, anyway.

AlbertaGriff and Harry Styron like this.
  10. jguitarman

You are spot on. I don't want people to "tell me my band is great" because there are parts of this that I am not liking at all. Yes, I think some of it is really good but I'm not happy at all with certain parts, mostly the female vocalist. We told her to stand back and project but it still came out sounding like it does. Not wanting to wake up the person in the next room is a great example.Yes, it is dry sounding. We added some bottom end and it helped some.
    I will listen again and see if I hear the drums like you do. Agreed on the hard panning. My guitar had some reverb from the amp and I know the engineer added some more on at least one solo.
    Honky Tonk Women...to me the mix is bad. I can't hardly hear my guitar. The piano is muddy and the entire song is rough. It was the last one we mixed and we were very tired by then. Its a throwaway song as far as I'm concerned. I don't like the vocals. I struggled to play a solo in open tuning but I think the solo turned out OK.

11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

"You're No Good" is A minor. There's no A major chord - ever.

Male voice is a tad pitchy, but he does have a nice, distinctive tone.

Female voice is breathy, not a bad thing, maybe needs lessons on how to "belt" without wrecking her very nice voice doing it incorrectly.

"Dry" is good. (See: everything ever recorded by Steely Dan.)
    Too often, folks add reverb and other junk to cover up bad performances.
    It's refreshing to NOT hear added junk.

twotone60, Jim622 and Harry Styron like this.
  12. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you have a pretty realistic grasp on what's going on....the vocalists on Youre No Good, and Honky Tonk Women could both use some work on their phasing and dynamics....too many words in a line on YNG, and the delivery on HTW was erratic...couple places he tried to dig in but ended up getting irritating to my ears....

Vocals are important...a band can play like hacks....or use simple arrangements....cowboy chords etc...but if the vocals suck youre toast....and don't ask me how I know that....on the other hand, Ive seen bands who couldn't play worth a dang...but sang like nightingales and did extremely well....

Guitar wise, youre dead on...issues with the mix should be an easy fix...panning and remix should help with that...and might improve the overall delivery......and Id be included to lose...or really dial back the piano in HTW....

And like in the other "hows my band" thread....if youre having fun, and getting some musical satisfaction, and enjoy the people, that's what counts....

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, vocals and drums will make or break a band.

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You're right that too many people flood their vocal tracks with reverb, but "dry" sounding vocals on records always have always had a little "space" added in the mix. Think about it- you never hear someone singing 6" from your ear the way you sing into a mic. Totally dry vocals sound unnatural, adding a touch of the right FX gives you a "3-D" sense of realism that a bone-dry track won't. The rule of thumb for adding just a little ambiance is to turn it up 'till you can just hear it, then back it down a hair. Sometimes I use a 20-30ms delay on a vocal for this purpose. And you always shave off the high end on the delay return so it doesn't conflict with the dry track.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Generally I avoid reverb on vocals, but I do put a small amount of delay - and a LOT of compression - on them.

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Ooooooooooooo-Eeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Sorry, wrong kind of feedback.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Nice job.
    Sounds like it was made by a Good-Time Cover Band.

Jim622 likes this.
  18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

As you probably know, the problem with compressing vocals (especially when you're using condenser mics) is that it exacerbates sibilance. In the analog days I got really good at making de-essers out of compressors with an eq in the sidechain- sibilance is one of my pet peeves, hearing those "s" sounds jumping out drives me up a goddam wall. Not long ago I downloaded a de-esser plugin from Waves called Sibilance that works like a bonafide miracle. If I'd had that back in my studio days I'd have gotten home a lot earlier every day.

19. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Overall, Great! I can nitpick a little on the mix, mainly where the vocal, keys and bass are slotting in frequency wise. But it’s generally pretty slick for the time put in and great performances. The vocals sound good enough for a demo. I don’t mind the wide pan on the guitars, but they could be a bit more forward for the solos.

I think bump Mr Wrong/Pontoon up the list as Sally’s (?) vocal sounds awesome on those... You’re No Good is good but doesn’t showcase her quite to the same extent as a lead vocalist.

You should be proud of it for three night’s work! Don’t be too hard on it :)

Jim622 likes this.
  20. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I really enjoyed it! Drums were a little “off” to me and I agree on the female vocals. It’s a new band so the “timing” issues (very small issues ) will be fixed by you guys playing together more.

Overall, WELL DONE!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.