Demo of how to get 6 Tones from the Quilter Aviator Cub

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
Want 6 tones out of your Aviator Cub instead of 3?

The Cub comes with 3 channels (tones), but here's a demo I made of the 3 additional (paired-channel combo) tones you can get by using a simple 1/4" Y-adapter. I demo all six tones and you can see the settings used on each one.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Nice! Thanks! Got my Cub about a month ago, love it.

What guitar are you using on the demo?

And how do you like the Cub with OD?

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welp, they sound great, even though my un-trained ear may be missing some of the subtle nuances, between the tweed/blonde and other blends.
And the gentle touch - admirable. :cool:
Peace - Deeve

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
That would be so easy! Thanks, btw. :)
Yep. I’m using a couple of Bose S1 speakers and thus far I’ve tried a Joyo US, Tech 21 Flyrig and an Iridium. They all sound find but I want to find a Superblock US cause I dig my Aviator Cub and am more of a Fender guy when it comes to amps

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
Yep. I’m using a couple of Bose S1 speakers and thus far I’ve tried a Joyo US, Tech 21 Flyrig and an Iridium. They all sound find but I want to find a Superblock US cause I dig my Aviator Cub and am more of a Fender guy when it comes to amps
It's so great that the Superblocks have a headphone out, which is great for performing.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You sound great! There are definitely subtle differences between the additional "paired" inputs.

Can I ask why you have the EQ set with all the frequencies rolled off? I wonder if the differences would be more apparent with EQ settings past noon.

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
You sound great! There are definitely subtle differences between the additional "paired" inputs.

Can I ask why you have the EQ set with all the frequencies rolled off? I wonder if the differences would be more apparent with EQ settings past noon.

Thank you, W.L. Weller. The differences may be more apparent with the EQ higher, but the tone would be too high/trebly for me to tolerate. The Cub is a bright amp (biased toward the highs to high-mids). About the Cub it has been said that anything over 12 o'clock on the Treble or Mid is like a boost. That seems to be the case with my Cub as well. When I raise the mid or high EQ knobs to anywhere near 12 noon, it becomes just too trebly for my liking and I am then left with trying to compensate (even it out) with more bass, which creates boom. Regardless of the above bias, the amp is still able to be dialed in to a desired tone, which, along with it's other wonderful qualities, makes it an excellent solid state amp.

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
Whoa. The Tweed and Blonde tone has my name all over it! Well done video, thank you. I'm keeping my eye on the Aviator and Mach 3 'from afar', they strike me as incredible products.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Re: EQ controls..

If you scan the manual it states that the EQs are active (additive above noon, subtractive below).
Very different animal than your typical Fender tone stack.

And.. the speaker may not be fully broken in yet too.

jgwcaster

Tele-Meister
Thank you, W.L. Weller. The differences may be more apparent with the EQ higher, but the tone would be too high/trebly for me to tolerate. The Cub is a bright amp (biased toward the highs to high-mids). About the Cub it has been said that anything over 12 o'clock on the Treble or Mid is like a boost. That seems to be the case with my Cub as well. When I raise the mid or high EQ knobs to anywhere near 12 noon, it becomes just too trebly for my liking and I am then left with trying to compensate (even it out) with more bass, which creates boom. Regardless of the above bias, the amp is still able to be dialed in to a desired tone, which, along with it's other wonderful qualities, makes it an excellent solid state amp.
I had the same struggle with the Cub, perhaps I sent it back too soon. I realized the eq stack was active but could not get past how those rolled down knobs looked to my eyes. Aside from the brightness the amp is about perfect. In some ways I wish I would have stuck with it. Solid state does seem a heck of a lot more reliable, consistent and low maintenance than tubes. I have been wondering if the mach 3 is as bright or not. If it was not as bright I might spring for it.

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
I had the same struggle with the Cub, perhaps I sent it back too soon. I realized the eq stack was active but could not get past how those rolled down knobs looked to my eyes. Aside from the brightness the amp is about perfect. In some ways I wish I would have stuck with it. Solid state does seem a heck of a lot more reliable, consistent and low maintenance than tubes. I have been wondering if the mach 3 is as bright or not. If it was not as bright I might spring for it.

For what it's worth, my Cub is 4 months old and has approximately 70 hours of use. I'm assuming the speaker's fairly well broken in now, but don't know for sure. Of course a speaker swap might help, but I'm not willing to trade go with a heavy, non-neodymium magnet.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
The stock speaker is ceramic not a neo speaker

Also just a thought but you could try a 3 way ABC footswitch, that would get even more combinations, not sure how useful that would be but could be fun.

Last edited:

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
The stock speaker is ceramic not a neo speaker

Also just a thought but you could try a 3 way ABC footswitch, that would get even more combinations, not sure how useful that would be but could be fun.
Odd. I thought I had read the speaker was a neo, which is why the weight was so low. Hm. I may want to try a speaker.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Odd. I thought I had read the speaker was a neo, which is why the weight was so low. Hm. I may want to try a speaker.

No it's a ceramic magnet , Quilter Special Design 12, by Eminence, the neo speakers have very small magnets.

The Cub is light enough that you could swap in another ceramic 12" speaker and not have much weight difference.

Here's a pic of a neo Eminence speaker

product_1___1_1.jpg

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Hi Blackie. I enjoyed your playing and the care you put into the video. I'm using a Lil Texas in an open back cab with a Quilter 101 head. The LT doesn't have a lot of personality but it's a good fit for me. I've gigged this combo as a stand alone amp but prefer pedals for dirt.

I'm curious about your take on the Cub's active TMB tonestack. Is the "true" Deluxe tone to be had with TMB set at noon as a starting place? I've spent some time with one and was able to get usable sounds quickly with the guitar's tone control but I didn't have any of the actual amps on hand for comparison. The Cub does seem to render them brighter than I recall. I'm not sure breaking in the stock speaker will be enough for some and would like to hear from anyone who tries a swap.

Last edited:

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
Hello Cousinpaul. Using the Black input, I set the TMB at 12-10-12 respectively, and with that EQ setting, to my ear, the Quilter is quite close to what a Fender (blackface) Deluxe Reverb delivers. Missing from the Quilter, of course, is the 3D effect, liveliness, and sizzle, a tube amp delivers. That said the Quilter is so loaded with positives (solid state reliability, headphone jack, light weight, direct-out, etc.), that it makes for a wonderful amp to own, and especially to gig with. I don't want any of my comments to construed as putting down the Aviator Cub.