Delving into...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DLReed, Nov 24, 2019.

1. DLReed

DLReed TDPRI Member

Just starting to delve into the music of the Rolling Stones. Better late than never I suppose. Anyway, I've heard that Keith's guitar playing is quite good and listening to some of the records it also seems as if it would be difficult to replicate. Are there some songs that you would recommend to begin with as far as learning to play along? Does Keith use alternate tunings?

2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Jumping jack flash is a good starting point. Can easily be played/transposed in standard tuning. Enjoy!

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes alternate tunings often.

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"satisfaction" is a good stones song to start with, it's not hard and it's in standard tuning. and it's a song every rock band should be able to play.

keith uses various tunings and various capo settings. he often uses a guitar with the 6th string removed and low to high, G, D, G, B, D. Honk tonk women and brown sugar use this tuning, as does tumbling dice with a capo at the 4th fret.

and i'll save you from loosing your mind trying to figure out midnight rambler: keith's part is in standard tuning with a capo at the 7th fret.

Chick-N-Picker and DLReed like this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

The first Stones tune I managed to play with some success (after I figured out the 5 string open G thing) Honky Tonk Woman.

Fun song to play. I finger pick on it. (I think Keith does too?)

Some good tutorials on utoob.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

You are spot on...Keef's "loose" playing is so hard to replicate because he sounds sloppy, but he *always* is right in the pocket and contributes to the groove in a huge way. Check this out:

7. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

Dead Flowers is real simple. Three chords-D, A, G in standard tuning. A fun country rock strummer.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  8. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Used to be major into the The Rolling Stones. Now I enjoy every once in a while & glad I discovered them early because now they are always there.

Sympathy For The Devil is also in standard and just a great concept for a song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.