Deluxe Vintage Modified cab size

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jsnwhite619, Feb 25, 2020.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Does anyone know if this is actually the same size as a regular Deluxe Reverb cabinet? A guy is talking about including one in a trade, but I would not be interested if it can't be used for a regular DR chassis.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jason, I am too far away this week to measure, but here is a thought. I have a DR VM chassis that could be gutted and used to build to one’s pleasure. If you could get it at the right price, this might be an option????

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The spec says 24" W x 17-1/2" H x 10" D , that's 1/2" deeper than a BFDR if it's accurate

4. jsnwhite619

Thanks guys. My local amp buddy happens to have a DR chassis he got last year for a personal project and never got around to using. So, he's going to let me borrow it and double check in person. It would seem odd if they didn't match, but crazier decisions have been made I guess. I'll report back when I figure it out just so it doesn't go unresolved.

By the way, I should have the answer soon. My friend just picked up a '61 Concert this week, and I'll be heading over there as quick as I can to check that one out!

5. jsnwhite619

Also, @Wally I'm going to hijack my own thread. I was researching through some old posts thinking about an Eminence GB128 and found several posts where you liked it. I've never liked Celestions (only been around newer ones) because they always sound pinched & choked to me; always preferred American voiced speakers. But, seeing that it appears not to have any doping on it, is it a more open sound than what I normally associate with British speakers - V30, Gold, Creamback? I think I installed one in a cabinet for someone a couple years ago and liked it, but those Eminence model numbers start running together after a little while.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jason, I like the GB 128. The first amp I used them in was a BF Pro Reverb, and I have used them in DRs. Great speaker, imho, with good low end, sparkling high end and perhaps a bit more midrange than a vintage Jensen C12 speaker. Fwiw, I have yet to meet a modern Celestion that I liked. The GB128 beats any new Celestion I have heard. Ommv.
    The GB128 was .eminence’s first ‘British cone’ speaker. I thought that the Private Jack would be much the same speaker, but it is not. It is closer to a Made in China V30, which is a speaker I do not care for. The GB is a richer, more musical speaker to my ear.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

Thanks. I think I may be finding out for myself soon enough now!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.