Deluxe, Standard, Professional...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluesidae, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

Looking for a used Tele. Hobbyist, no gigging. Had a MIM standard but I let it get away. Considering an American Deluxe, 2008 Standard or a Professional. The biggest differences seem to be related to pickups. Unfortunately, I can't play them (due to distance). Looking for advice/considerations related to the three.

Your thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated!

Thx

2. 50hz

50hz TDPRI Member

I've only played a Professional of the ones you've listed but I liked it. I'd go with the professional because I'm a fan of the 3 saddle bridge and want as curvy a fretboard as possible. I'd imagine the Deluxe is compound radius and a bit flatter. I've also heard older Standard necks are a bit slimmer and that doesn't appeal to me.

Lots of hearsay in my post, someone correct me if I'm off base, but I'd deffo try to get my hands on something or make sure they can be returned if you decide to buy one.

Also, I'm fairly positive any one of these would be perfectly serviceable because Teles are great in most of their forms.

3. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

Haven't tried a compound radius neck. I believe the 2019 has a larger neck? 2019 is maple. The other 2 have Rw.

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My choice of the three is the American Professional. It has a slightly fatter C shaped neck, but it is not really big, and the three barrel compensated saddles. The noiseless pickups will sound a bit more "modern".

I personally don't prefer the compound radius - it's great for soloing up the neck, but a barre chord above the 7th fret feels odd because of the flatter radius.

The 2008 Standard will be a good bang for the buck; I think it has the bent steel saddles. I like those on a Strat, but think they are a bit out of place on a Tele.

Of course, this is all just my opinion on the matter, so take it for what it is worth.

5. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Meister

My vote is the American Standard with the Rosewood neck.

Wish I was more use on this topic. Fender is overcomplicating their brand. The American Standard was all they needed with the Mexican and Japan made stuff as well...

I own a 90s American Standard, and a 2018 Professional American. They are both great guitars. I fell in love with the 2018, it has a one piece rosewood neck. I will say that the 2018 has some downsides in comparison with the American Standard. The neck is thicker, and the pickups that came stock sucked. (VMODS) I had to purchase Original Vintages for it to match the standard that I own. That being said, the guitar is beautiful and a joy to play and has replaced the standard as my number one. I won't play a guitar with a maple neck. Can't stand maple, love the rosewood boards... That is my opinion, though, so you really should find out before you buy it. It really does effect the playing of the guitar. And you want the guitar that you will play and play and play.

You will have to check out videos and demos of the guitars. The playability of the three should be without question great... Necks can differ though, make sure you choose the neck thickness that suits you. Although the necks won't break a guitar, they are all pretty great to play. I own a professional. The neck is thicker than the old American Standards, which I have gotten used to, but I would have preferred the thinner neck.

Pickups, pickups, pickups... This is the most important selection you are facing. Let's face it, they are the source of the tone, and sound of the guitar. This is my opinion: Stay away from noiseless and VMOD pickups at all costs. The original vintage OV, pickups, that came with the American Standard Telecaster are simply the best. They are what make the Telecaster such a great sounding guitar.

I would say that Fender is making casual decisions with their product line and are out the make the most profit... Unfortunately changing their product can be a bad thing sometimes...

As far as bridges go... They sound a little different, the 3 strut, versus the 6 strut saddles. The 6 struts can intonate dead nuts. But some prefer the 3 saddle for slight differences in tone. Although they do not intonate dead nuts.

I have both, I like both, to me it doesn't make or break a guitar.

I think Fender makes an excellent product. I think they raised their prices way too much. I think they have overcomplicated their product line, especially for entry level players...

Watch some videos, and whatever you end up getting. Get a good set up right off the bat... It will mean the world.

If you can only choose based on looks and electronics, choose the best looking one with good pickups... I know that Texas Special pickups are super country pickups, so not good for a blues or rock player. Do some research... Maybe just pick based on color, and if you don't like the pickups, swap em out later. Because they are probably all great guitars to be honest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Most of what you’ll read here are opinions of the i like what I’m playing so it’s the best, variety. Canada’s a big place. Still, I’d take a weekend trip to the nearest metropolis and try to play Telecasters until you find one to like. Play USA, MIM, MIJ, whatever you can find. The only opinion that counts is yours. I have a few of my own. I love the N4 Noiseless pickups in my Telecaster. They’re a little richer than underwound vintage pickups and I like that for backing vocals. I find a flatter neck easier to play. My Telecaster has a 12” radius. Not too thin and not too thick makes a good neck for me. Do yourself a big favor and play different Telecasters until you’ve developed opinions of your own. Do you want twang? Do you want to drive an amp? Do you want to strum the rhythm part? There are no bad Telecasters out there. There are more models and specs than I can count. The best Telecaster for you will be the one you decide on yourself.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

Thx gang. Very good points. Tough decision. I didn't mention that all three are about the same price.

Off to watch some videos!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.