1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Deluxe Reverb with a 15"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stantheman, Dec 16, 2009.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just kinda surprised that nobody's done that. The reason why I'm bringin' this up is that it's the same basic concept as Victoria's Gretsch Executive which is retailing at just about 3K and runs on a pair of 6V6's.
    People are RAVING about the Tone of the Gretsch and to me it'd seem that a Deluxe Reverb with a 15" speaker would absolutely be in that ballpark.

Funny thing here - Fender issued a "Special Twin Reverb" with a 15" speaker and only got a little buzz. Perhaps they missed the boat and shoulda coulda gone with a "Deluxe Reverb Special 15"...

With all the downsizing and "weight issues" a "Deluxe Reverb 15" sounds like'd be a spontaneous masterpiece. :cool:

Maybe they were afraid it'd get smoked by the Peavey Delta Blues...:confused:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

The Gomez G-Reverb amp was based on the Princeton Reverb, and came with a 15" speaker, I seem to remember. Looks like it's discontinued (they have some pretty cool models, though).

TDPRIer CancerLeoCam is the builder.

Tim

3. drewsblues

drewsblues Tele-Holic

I've got a 1970 Silverface Deluxe Reverb with a 15" Jensen in it. The cabinet was built by Sam Hutton, one of the original Fender guys. Sounds good. Different, but good.

[​IMG]

4. krauser2

krauser2 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up a 1966 Ampeg Gemini IV and it will be here today.

its 30-35 watts, 15 inch speaker, ptp- tube deliciousness. tube reverb and trem.

It came out when fender still had blackface dr's, it was direct competition, I guess they felt they they should just stick to 12's

me and a buddy are going to do a direct comparison....lets find out.

I had a peavey delta blues and it was actually really nice. I'd love to hear one with a weber speaker.

5. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Single 15" speakers are even more directional than 12s. Keep it in mind.

I dunno - I'm always trying to REDUCE the bass on my DRs, there is so much - with a Tele, I run the bass control at about 3. Can't imagine how a 15" would help that.

Now, a JBL would be a different matter...

6. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

A DRRI with 12inch and a 1X15 extension cab, mmmmmm, that is something i would love to hear !

7. SirJackdeFuzz

I always felt that they marketed that 15" Twin Reverb Custom 15 completely wrong.
    It was/is in the "Specialized" section of their catalong, with an image of a female pedal steel player grinning from ear to ear.

IMHO, massively (((LOUD))) amps with 15inch drivers is much more a Stoner Rock & Doom band type 'thing'.
    They are targeting the wrong guys :(

Can you explain this a bit more ?
    I tought a 15incher fills a room alot better/more with low end than any other single speaker can !

Here we have FOUR 15inch drivers working together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORCBI6N8n8

PS : your DR's bass knob on only '3' ? WOW

8. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

A drivers radiation pattern starts to tighten up , get beamy, when the wave length is equal or less then the active diamiter of the driver, so a 15 is really no more directional then a 12, but it starts at a lower frequency. For a 12 it is around 1khz the 15 around 825hz, below that, they are pretty much omnidirectional

9. telbert twang

telbert twang Tele-Holic

10. SirJackdeFuzz

Thanks.

So what you are saying is, that i should use an MXR 10Band EQ in my chain, and boost the 31.25Hz & 62.5Hz sliders somewhat ?

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I own a Gretsch Executive and I also view it as pretty much a blackface Deluxe Reverb with a 15" speaker. When you get it to drive, the breakup is not as flabby as the Deluxes I've heard. It is a great amp. Don't let the high price tag deter you from getting one. Due to Gretsches poor marketing of their amps (the high price, combined with the fact that you can hardly find one anywhere), there are deals to be had. The few stores that have them have seen them sit on the sales floor for quite a long time in some cases. Most people don't know that these amps are handwired boutique amps made by Victoria. I bought mine used on Ebay (in hardly used condition - in fact it looked like it was right out of the box), for $1,124.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  12. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

By the way, pedal steel players have been putting 15" speakers in Twin Reverbs for years. That's the (small) market they were probably targeting with that.

13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

That was a smokin' deal You pulled off ac15. I'll keep my eyes open.
    I'm just surprised that the only company really taking advantage of the 1x15 Combo is Peavey with their highly rated Delta Blues.
    I think I owe it to myself to give one a serious audition.
    Peavey's original Blues Classic is just about impossible to find.
    I'll have to check out a '64 Vibroverb again too.
    But I really do want the 6V6 Tone - that just enough to really drive AND get hired again. :cool:

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

By the way, when I got that "smokin deal" on Ebay, I was the only person who bid on it, and I bid right at the beginning. Not a single person chimed in. That's why I know that there are deals to be had. A few months later I got a White Falcon for $1900 and no one else bid on that either.

15. CancerLeoCam

CancerLeoCam Friend of Leo's

Gomez "G" Reverb-Amp...Thanks Tim :)

[​IMG]

16. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Naw, pedal steel players love the 15. Think Vibrasonic, and Vibrasonic Reverb.:D

17. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

I was just looking for that thread...he's a buddy of mine. It was this amp that influenced my personal Vibroverb clone:

[​IMG]

My initial experiences on a BF with 15" is that it adds mids. It's not as boomy as I expected, either. I have mine setup with an Allen OT that I can run 6V6s on, but haven't tried yet. It would be pretty close to a DR at that point.

Yes, sir. Got a local player/friend here with one of the Custom Twin RIs...he really wants more headroom and also just got a SF Twin to accomplish that, but he always misses his 15" as a result.

18. fendertastic

fendertastic Tele-Meister

I have been thinking about this myself, I have a SF twin /vibrosonic, but its to heavy for small gigs. I love the 15 with a tele though, mine's a weber. Not flabby at all, but crazy loud. the 15 in my VS is 4 ohm though.

Mean green, thats rough blond tolex, correct? It looks nice with a BF

19. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

It's the smooth blonde tolex, actually. I agree that the blonde/what is purdy on a BF!

20. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

All my years of gigging I used a 1972 Fender Super Reverb. One day we went to another fellows home to practice and he had an old SUN bass cabinet with 2 15 in it. Being crazy at the time I tried it out. :eek: I fell in love with the sound I was getting through bass speakers :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.