1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Deluxe Reverb: the Bright Cap Thing

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by alnico357, Nov 22, 2020.

1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

One month after I got my Special Edition Electric Blue/Alnico Blue DRRI in 2010, I did the Fritz Mod, putting the channels in phase and adding reverb/tremolo to the Normal channel, sans bright cap.

Since then I have played by jumping the channels, using all controls. Today I hooked up my A/B box to directly compare the bright cap, with and without. I set both bass controls at 8 and both treble controls at 2, vols at 4. I used my Carvin humbucker guitar and plugged directly into the amp.

Switching back and forth I heard very little difference in the two channels with my tone control settings. The Fritz Mod was a lot easier to perform than pulling the front control panel getting to the bright cap.

Just a FYI on a rainy morning.

Crawldaddy and Wulf like this.
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

The bright cap's effect decreases as you turn the volume up. By the time you get to 4 it doesn't do as much as at 2-3. Setting the treble down to 2 also gives the bright cap less upper frequencies to pass.

3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I keep mine on six. With my asat special semi hollow it'll break up because of the big mfd pickups. With my budz purebred in my vintage Tele, it's still sparkling clean. I don't notice the bright cap at all.

blues and Wulf like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

With that much bass and such low treble settings, I don’t wonder that you did not notice any treble.
    I assess Fender BF/SF circuits with volume and tone controls all on 5. That is also a good play setting, imho. If the volume needs to come down, the tones go up. If the volume needs to go up, the tones go lower.
    If I heard/saw someone setting up a DRRI the way you do, I would suspect that they have loss of low end hearing. People who have frequency specific hearing loss will decrease the frequency control of the range of their hearing that is not suffering loss and increase the frequency range that is affected by the loss, ime.

King Fan and Wulf like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bass at 8 treble at 2 with humbuckers?

Intriguing.

I take your point @Wally. On the other hand everyone has such different touch I’ve giving up generalizing.

Single best tone I’ve ever heard was a guy on the bridge pickup of his a Tele through a SFDR. All night. Just rode guitar volume. Asked him after the set. Vol 10. Bass 10. Treble 0. I would have expected it to sound horrible “by the numbers”. Go figure.

I’d never play a DR under 6 on the volume so I don’t Notice a bright cap. My EQ would be Bass 2-3 and Treble 5-6. But that’s just me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Piotr likes this.
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

In my 53 years of playing electric guitar, I have yet to experience an amp that did not have the ability to produce way more treble than I want. I have some high frequency hearing loss. Good thing amps have tone controls to satisfy all of us.

I like my Carvin's M22V neck PU. I pick the strings close to the bridge. I have never been a fan of glassy highs.

MilwMark, GuitarGeorge, JRapp and 2 others like this.
  7. wabashslim

Or they are beaming the speaker right at their head and/or have the amp setting up off the floor away from any corners. Three inches off the floor can be the equivalent of 7 numbers on the bass knob.

alnico357 likes this.
  8. Wally

well, those tone settings have certain effects in the signal path that have nothing to do with sound dispersion, but I do understand what you are saying.

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I discovered decades ago I never want the amp pointed at my head.

robrob likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The tone pointing at your head is the tone your audience hears. If you point the amp away from your head and adjust it to what sounds good to you that way, it likely won’t sound good to them IME.

@Wally and @wabashslim I’m not sure I follow what you mean. Can you elaborate? Fan vids of our band started to sound a lot better when I figured out to EQ my amp and set my volume and OD level/tone with the amp pointed at my ears. Go figure.

11. Wally

Whatever works for the player is fine by me. I know what I want to hear. I agree that trying to work an amp when standing outside of its particular soundstage would be misleading.

12. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

You are not alone! None of us wanted your amp pointed at our heads. Ba Dum Ching!

:lol::lol::lol:

ThermionicScott and 39martind18 like this.
  13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

FWIW, I think that anything that would detract from an amp's sonic total should be avoided. It's not hard to subtract highs or lows, but nearly impossible to add more that's not there in the first place.

14. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I just pulled up the schematic. The bright cap is only 47pF. That is not much in the first place. For reference a twin reverb uses a 120pF bright cap. As others have pointed out the settings and volume of the amp can negate the effectiveness of the bright cap.

If you want/need more highs in low level playing, you may want to parallel the bright cap with another cap, say 100pF, to allow more highs to pass. You can just alligator clip the cap in to test.

15. wabashslim

If you set the controls with the amp pointed at your head, then it'll sound ok for others in the direct path too but muddy for those necking in the corners. But if the amp's on the floor pointed out front and you're setting it up while standing with your head at a sharp angle above it, it'll sound good to you but your audiences' ears will bleed - and, depending on who you play to, they might not like that - at least till the 3rd drinks begin to take hold, and by then they've lost everything above 1kHz anyway.

When I saw Junior Brown in a medium-sized club he had 2 Twin Reverbs setting onstage pointed right at the audience - then he covered them (with the mics) with a thick U-Haul moving blanket. I still left with 2-day tinnitus but that was from the cranked stadium-size PA, not Junior.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  16. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Alternately, you can use a smaller value cap; 10, 15, 27, 35 pF. The effect is more subtle.

17. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Exactly! That's what audience heads are for. ;0)

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I simply swapped in a push-pull volume pot: bright cap is out of the circuit when switch is pushed in, and engaged when pulled out. The best of both worlds!!

telepraise and ThermionicScott like this.
  19. wabashslim

That's what I did to my Princeton (the push-pull part)...but the cap doesn't bypass the volume pot, it goes across the 3.3M/10pF that isolates the reverb send & return. Don't have the cap value in my notes but I'm almost positive it's under 100pF. This way it's unaffected by the volume pot's position.

20. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.