1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Deluxe Reverb speaker for Honky Tonk Country?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AJ Love, Nov 29, 2016.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Looking for recommendations for a speaker for my Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, for uses in Honky Tonk Country (Marty Stuart, Kenny Vaughan, Vince Gill, Roy Nichols type tones)

I have a Jensen reissue in there now that is a bit harsh and has too much spike on the top end

I did a thorough search on here and while there are a bunch of threads on speaker replacements for DR's, I didn't see anything specifically for Honky Tonk Country

2. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

Eminence Tonker or Legend

3. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

I've got a 12" Weber in my Morgan PR-12. It's got the vintage tone nailed with a better bottom end in a open back combo. Look into them they won't disappoint.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Which Weber?

5. Hackweed

Hackweed TDPRI Member

Weber F150

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Which 12F150???? that is the thing about Weber. The options make a difference. plain, O, T???? doping?

IMHO, the Emi Legend GB128 is a great speaker for a DR...big bottom, smooth high end, warm woody tones...and it is very efficient so it makes the amp BIG.

JTM45blues likes this.
  7. Wally

I would also mod that Normal channel to give a different channel...instead of two channels that are voiced just alike. There is old school honky tonk that is based in that midrangey tweed world, and there is a BF honky tone world. Why not have an amp that gives you both?

JTM45blues and AJ Love like this.
  8. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Thanks. That sounds very interesting. Can you elaborate on that please if you have the time?

9. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I have played Bakersfield Classic Country with my completely stock DRRI, and have had no spikiness problems. I have used volume and tone knob adjustments, which... of course are free... and they seem to keep everything in a good tonal place. But as far as a replacement speaker? No idea. I am not sure I'd want to trade the tonal clarity and brilliance that really works well for some things, for something that was always more muted. I never feel the tone out of my stock unit is brittle, harsh, or spiky. Your results may vary.

Ps: My DRRI amp treble dial is almost always at 5. The bass dial is almost always at 3, FWIW...

MilwMark likes this.
  10. Wally

AJ, techs have been revoicing that Normal channel for many years....decades. Fender took the hint and adopted some of the changes in their '68 custom series...but they don't take the amps as far as they need to be taken, imho. IF you have a good tech, they will know what to do. IF you don't, you need to find one.
    IN short, one can have a channel that is not as bass heavy, has more gain and more midrange.....and it can have reverb and tremolo, too.

AJ Love and rebelwoclue like this.
  11. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a Weber Sig "B" that sounds quite good but if I were looking at a new speaker, I'd be tempted to try the Eminence Alessandro.

AJ Love likes this.
  12. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

I've had good luck with a Celestion G12 65 ..& I've tried many!

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Or even a Green Back I am thinking.

Said it a 1000 times, the 150T Webers really stay tight FWIW.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Which Jensen? How many hours on it? I'm with @Stingfan73 - the honky tonk is in there already. Dial back the bass and treble, add a Klone or OD250 or TS or Rat set right, there's your midrangey honky tonk.

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The old Utah's (orange label one was my fav) were fantastic for clean bottom without crazy highs. 70's CTS ceramics (can be had for $30) like the ones in the Gibson Lab series amps really have a nice fat tone. I kid you not...a Celestion Vintage 30 is a hell of a speaker for that amp too.

16. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I think the stock fender speaker are really good.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

DRRI & Silverface Deluxe Reverb are somewhat different amps, and then factor in that every amp is an individual. This particular amp I've got is somewhat harsh/spiky on the top end with a reissue Jensen in it.... It certainly could be user error!

18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I don't disagree with this at all... however if someone wants to keep the amp stock there are plenty of tone variations to be had. I run the vib channel with a pretty hot (5+) bass/treble setup with the volume a little lower... this emphasizes the mid scoop of the bf/sf for a sparkly sound. The normal channel I keep the treble and bass quite low and push the volume, this provides a much grittier sound with thick mids in comparison to the vib channel at the same volume.

I should however qualify/disqualify my comment... I'm playing a modern (2010) DRRI with a Jensen C12K not an original BF/SF amp.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  19. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised no one (yet) said Cannabis Rex.
    I've heard them discussed in other threads as a smooth way to color your twang- even, specifically in DRs.

I have a Utah speaker in an original SFDR, not a Cannabis Rex, although I've got one in a ProJr application (where I do like the sound of it, but that amp ain't for the classic country we're discussing).

I like my stock Utah for the sound I think you're looking for, ---but only at certain volume settings- generally LOW. Mine gets dirty and distorted when cranked up, and doesn't have a real tight bottom end either.
    I've actually been thinking that I'll experiment to see what I can get a clean, yet complex sound with, through a larger volume range.

20. Wally

AJ, I forgot to ask....what is the biasing in this amp?? Big variable there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.