1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Deluxe Reverb RI Microphonic Wire V2

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Faceman, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I seldom work on printed circuit board amps but I have a 1993 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue on the bench and the Vibrato Channel is weak and humming. Someone has replaced the tube socket in V2 and the green wire to Pin 2 is ultra microscopic. Being the signal wire from the 68k input resistors, I am thinking of wiring in a shielded wire back to the tube socket but I do not know what else could possibly cause this. Any ideas?

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I take you don't mean microscopic? Smart phones are great for changing words.

If it's clicking and popping when you wiggle it, something is loose on the ends or close or it's broken inside.
    If it's picking up signal try moving it, change its lead dress.

Wally, Lowerleftcoast and King Fan like this.
  3. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

I do mean microphonic. No matter what tube I put in the V2 position, it is microphonic. With the chassis out I started tapping around with a chopstick and the green wire from the main board to pin 2 of V2 is so microphonic you can speak in it. Just wanted to see if anyone else had run into that?

4. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Bobby Z, Lol I see that now. I didn’t notice the microscopic! Although, ironically the wire is kind of microscopic. Looks like #28 wire!

BobbyZ likes this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If it does it with various tubes, suspect the tube socket — retension springs, tighten mounting bolts, etc. If it’s only the grid, reflow that lug and retension that spring first. And of course — what Bobby said.

BobbyZ, Lowerleftcoast and muscmp like this.
  6. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Thanks King Fan. I was already suspicious of that socket. It was clearly replaced with an inexpensive ceramic socket and the solder work was very poorly done. I had planned on putting a Belton in there. That may just do the trick. I will report back when that’s done.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Trouble is, someone may have replaced the socket to get rid of the microphonics, and it didn't work. IME these things can be a number of things, but show up in a wire like that, or chopsticking the board etc, but that's not where the problem is. Worth a shot though.
    So the Normal channel is fine? That pretty much narrows it down to NOT the power section and NOT the Normal channel pre section...doesn't it?

8. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone.

Quick update: I replaced V2 socket with a Belton and it is dead quiet. It has less noise than the stock socket in V1. Problem solved.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking the socket must not have been making good contact with the tube pins. I'm guessing the metal in it isn't very "springy".
    But that's just a guess.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.