Deluxe Reverb noisefloor: How much is normal?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tweedy_woodpecker, Nov 15, 2019.

1. tweedy_woodpecker

tweedy_woodpecker TDPRI Member

I just built a Deluxe Reverb circuit and also have a 66 vintage one at home. One thing they have in common is that the noisefloor (hiss) at idle (volume pots and reverb turned down) is significantly higher than all my other amps, especially my 65 Princeton Reissue, that is dead quiet at idle.
    So my question is: Is this an issue inherent to the circuit design of the Deluxe Reverb since it has an additional gainstage in the vibrato channel? Any other explanations?

2. tweedy_woodpecker

One more thing: I employed RobRobs recommended method of adding verb and tremolo to the normal channel.
    Does this method also add to the noisefloor?

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yes.

King Fan likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I have a DRRI. Certainly a bit of hiss nothing to get excited about. I notice that when use the Tremolo it adds a touch more noise and the noise throbs with the rate of the Tremolo

Ps I use an attenuator with my DDRI and this reduces the audible noise.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

No experience with a Deluxe Reverb, but the Princeton Reverb I built was very particular on lead dress and positioning. 1/8" seemed to make the difference in dead quiet and ticking, hiss, general noise. Maybe some chopsticking can help quiet things down some?

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Yeah, likely verb + trem + gain = noise. Tubes hiss, resistors hiss, and extra wires can pick up extra hum.

Still, the question: is all your extra noise unavoidable, or could some be reduced? For sure higher-gain amps go more and more to precise lead dress, shielded inputs wiring, higher-wattage MF resistors, isolated jacks, more complex ground schemes, yada yada.

OTOH, maybe your noise is 'normal', right? Can you go play a DRRI in a store somewhere?

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I built a Princeton reverb that is inaudible when it's turned on. Metal film resistors, etc. Just a bit of tube hiss when it's turned right up, and normal reverb hum when it's up the slushy end.

8. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

My nicely serviced '70 DR is pretty much dead quiet at idle.

King Fan likes this.
  9. tweedy_woodpecker

Thanks for all your answers!
    It is not terribly loud and much less than before the rebuilt (I converted a DRRI to Turretboard) and the guy I built it for was absolutely blown away by the sound. The difference in sound was actually quite big, I was surprised. When compared to my trusty 66 DR in some ways it sounded even better.
    Also, as soon as you turn up the volume past 1-1.5 the channel hiss is louder anyways and not bad at all and there is no hum (I payed attention to proper grounding and lead dress) I moved the wires with a chopstick which did not make any difference, so I guess it must be components and design.
    The guy is more than happy anyways, so I guess its time to stop thinking about it and go play some surfy music

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.