Deluxe Reverb issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jillo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

I have had this Deluxe Reverb for a few months. I received it in a trade knowing that it had already been modded to hell and back but it's always been reliable and I got it for a good deal.

About a week ago my amp started making a loud muffle/ humming sound. I quickly turned it off, let it sit for a while and then checked that all of the tubes were seated properly, they were.

Turning the amp back on it seemed to be back to normal, so I played a while longer, turned it off and went to bed.

A few days later I was playing when the noise came back, I gently tapped on top of the head and the noise went away again. I can't replicate this issue, it more so just happens randomly. Turning the amp off and tapping on the head makes it go way (silly I know).

It is a 1990 Deluxe Reverb if that makes any difference.

I know likely I will have to take this amp into a tech to get fixed, but I am not super familiar with electronics like this and was wondering if anyone could share any knowledge on a potential DIY fix or ideas on the issue. Thank you!

Please note the intensity knob on this DR is set to be a master volume.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

With it being intermittent, it could literally be anything

Wally and Jakedog like this.
  3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Could be something as simple as a bad tube, or a bad solder joint.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

To save yourself alot of headache, grief and time-consuming guessing, I'd definitely take it to a competent tech.

stantheman, 8barlouie, Wally and 3 others like this.
  5. bebopbrain

bebopbrain Tele-Meister

Is there a visual change with the noisy power tubes versus when they are quiet?

Wally likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

To rule out tubes..
    If you have extra sets of tubes, try one at a time.
    When you get to power tubes, pull both..
    If that is the culprit you will eventually have to get
    those biased.
    Check reverb send and return connectors too.
    Wish you luck

Texicaster and Wally like this.
  7. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

Seems like it might be a bad connection, like solder joint or a trace, that starts acting up when the amp gets warm.

guitar_paul1 and Wally like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is that a reissue that's been modded to a head, or a vintage PTP DR? I will echo @Telecastoff1 and say take it to a good tech. Maybe just me, but I'd try to restore it to stock, in a traditional one 12" cab. Good luck. ;)

Telecastoff1 and Wally like this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There was no Deluxe Reverb built in 1993. The DR Reissue was introduced in 1993.
    +1 with @bebopbrain on observing the power tubes. +1 with @Telecastoff1 on the suggestion of using a good tech. This is especially important with an amp that has been modified, imho and ime.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I missed where the OP stated it was a 1990 Deluxe Reverb, so someone is confused about date. As Wally said, the reissue came out in '93, so unless someone modded a vintage one, this is a reissue.
    I DID have a Silverface DR that had been (crudely) cut down to a head. I got it for a decent price, and had it restored to its former condition. Completely gone through components, new one 12" cab, and since the silver face was really banged up, I replaced it with a black face one. Economically, I could have bought a brand new reissue model for what I spent refurbishing, but when it was done, I had what was essentially a "new" hand wired version.

guitar_paul1 and Wally like this.
  11. Wally

With regard to the dating of this amp, I am thinking that it is a reissue and that the serial number starts with any ‘A’….maybe AC??
    Many people think those two letters are the date code, but those two letters at the beginning of the serial number have nothing to do with the date of manufacture….nor does the rest of the serial number. The two letter date code was reintroduced in 1990…with A being 1990 and the second letter being the month of the year….A being January, B February, etc. these two letters will be written on a small black and white label inside the cab somewhere. Generally, the date code is written on the bottom line. The first DRRI in 1993 would have a date code with a C for 1993 followed by A through L for the month.
    If the amp is a vintage handwired DR, the serial number will date the amp from 1977 through 1982. Before that, again the components will date the amp.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Based on the video: Maybe old bad filter caps, maybe rectifier tube. But the caps wouldn't likely be intermittent. I suppose the rectifier could be.
    Being a blonde head with a MV are you sure it's not a clone someone made?

Has it always had this issue?

hepular and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Very spot on! Previously I looked up the serial online and it says ‘90 but I think that’s a error in the serial decoder.

I figured it probably started it’s life as a combo, and was later modded into a head. Does that make sense?

Attached Files:

14. 0ct0Pr0n

0ct0Pr0n TDPRI Member

It does! I don't believe fender has ever manufactured a Deluxe Reverb head. Wish they would, because running mine through an external cabinet has always produced awesome results, especially at outdoor gigs.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  15. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply. Would it be worth it to replace all the tubes just as a rule of thumb since these haven’t been changed probably in a long time?

I don’t think it’s a clone as much as it was probably modded to be a head.

16. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

guitar_paul1 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Wally

yeah, that online ‘resource’ needs to be notified that they do not understand dating of a Fender amp. IF the serial number would date by those first two letters, 1990 would be the largest production year in Fender history, and there would be many years in which Fender built NO amps at all??????
    If you have a tech pull the chassis, have that tech jot down the transformer numbers for you. That will give a ‘no older than’ date range.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm a big fan of Truth About Vintage Amps podcast (TAVA) from Fretboard Journal. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/the-truth-about-vintage-amps-big-index-page/

Skip's advice would ask "have you serviced it?". Skip strongly suggests some WD40 on the tube pins and sockets. Not soaking them but clean with WD40 and work in the socket a little bit with a thin film. DO NOT spray into the sockets!

Best plan is to eliminate the simple possibilities before paying a pro too $$$ to do such simple tasks.

I'd go so far as to give TAVA a call or email and see what they have to say.

19. Wally

Not very many would advise using a lubricant on tube pins I will admit that WD40 is a multi-talented concoction and would clean the contacts, but I would advise a simple cleaner without a lubricant.

hepular, Lynxtrap, schmee and 2 others like this.
  20. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

There are some who advocate WD40 for some guitar/amp applications. Billy Zoom of X swears by it for pots. I personally wouldn't want it anywhere near my rigg. :cool:

corliss1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.